GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my GT86 three and a half days now. There's loads of flys splattered over the front after 270 miles.

At what point do I start cleaning it? You know that first big step on that long and lonely path, of buckets of water and car shampoo.

So when did you all start cleaning your GT86? Was it when you got home. Or have you not reached for the Turtlewax yet?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
1275 miles and not cleaned it yet (that's in 2 weeks) I bought it to drive not polish!

The reason I got a Silver Fox was more down to its ability to hide dirt rather than my advancing years

Alec

·
Registered
14 Posts
I gave mine a wash after 10 days / 1000 miles (tho i park under a tree so get full of sap). basically i used my friends snow foam pre wash (cant rember make of it) which basically breaks down the grease and sap and also removes the dealers wax (which i wanted to do). so rinsed that off then gave it a clean with x shampoo (used auto glym) starting from the roof down ofcourse, followed by cleaning the wheels and then a rince. dry it off with a shammy and once of those wiper blade drying things and time for waxing. i went straight for a wax instead of polish as its fresh paint and diddent neeed a polish. so spent 2 hours waxing and buffing the car with dodojuice wax and bam, paint was soooooo deep after that i couldent beleave my eyes, and water just runs off it (too bad sap dosent, glad i got a cover now lol) --- be warned tho cleaning the car can be a bad thing, as i found a small pin prick dent in the door where someone must have opened their door on it /anger !! ahh well was due to happen, getting a friend to look into removing it!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've washed mine today.
Used car shampoo with new buckets and sponges. Used Kent Extra large microfibre drying towel to dry and finished with a chamois leather. Was recommended the drying towel by a valeter and they are good, soak up loads of water. So glad I got the supaguard thrown in on my deal, it really does make a difference.

Soon as i finished I went out, it rained and it's now dirty again but I think it looks kinda good dirty. I just love driving it. Surprised the wife tonight with a little oversteer moment as we left Tesco's; VSC Sport can be fun!

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
en8wall said:
I've washed mine today.
Used car shampoo with new buckets and sponges. Used Kent Extra large microfibre drying towel to dry and finished with a chamois leather. Was recommended the drying towel by a valeter and they are good, soak up loads of water. So glad I got the supaguard thrown in on my deal, it really does make a difference.

Soon as i finished I went out, it rained and it's now dirty again but I think it looks kinda good dirty. I just love driving it. Surprised the wife tonight with a little oversteer moment as we left Tesco's; VSC Sport can be fun!

1st dirty surprise she's had all year

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Musketeer said:
en8wall said:
I've washed mine today.

1st dirty surprise she's had all year
Washed mine yesterday for the first time as well. Today .. rain and puddles = dirty. But I'll leave it for a few weeks I reckon with this weather!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
en8wall said:
I've washed mine today. 
Used car shampoo with new buckets and sponges.  Used Kent Extra large microfibre drying towel to dry and finished with a chamois leather.  Was recommended the drying towel by a valeter and they are good, soak up loads of water.  So glad I got the supaguard thrown in on my deal, it really does make a difference.

Soon as i finished I went out, it rained and it's now dirty again but I think it looks kinda good dirty. I just love driving it.  Surprised the wife tonight with a little oversteer moment as we left Tesco's; VSC Sport can be fun!
NO, NO, NO!
No ordinary buckets, you need a two (or three) bucket system, preferably with McGuires grit-guard.
This will prevent the grit being re-deposited back onto the bodywork, causing scratches.
No sponges, they just hold the grit particles and help scratch the car! Use a micro-fibre wash mitt.
No chamois leathers either, they can be quite abrasive, - get yourself some microfiber cloths (or mcguires waffle cloth) which are much gentler.
Trust me, in a years time, your car will still look the same...unless you continue using sponges, etc, in which case it will be covered in swirl marks !

My brother tells me I am talking rubbish...he says "you are fine with a sponge and chamois" ... Which is why his car looks like it has been sandpapered !
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
619 Posts
Senna said:
en8wall said:
I've washed mine today.

NO, NO, NO!
No ordinary buckets, you need a two (or three) bucket system, preferably with McGuires grit-guard.
This will prevent the grit being re-deposited back onto the bodywork, causing scratches.
No sponges, they just hold the grit particles and help scratch the car! Use a micro-fibre wash mitt.
No chamois leathers either, they can be quite abrasive, - get yourself some microfiber cloths (or mcguires waffle cloth) which are much gentler.
Trust me, in a years time, your car will still look the same...unless you continue using sponges, etc, in which case it will be covered in swirl marks !

My brother tells me I am talking rubbish...he says "you are fine with a sponge and chamois" ... Which is why his car looks like it has been sandpapered !

Senna talks sense. Sponges, single buckets, chamois and non PH Neutral products are a big NO NO.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My water is naturally acidic, so should a slightly alkaline shampoo solution be used tobalance things out? A pH neutral shampoo may not make any difference and the soapy water will still be acidic?

Edited by: Targ86

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Sponges can be fine if used properly. For example, I use large cell sponges with Optimum No Rinse and get no scratches.

G

·
a18ttc said:
Litmus paper to check pH is essential.
True.
However, when washing your car unnecessary. Unless you're using washing up liquid.

On the subject of sponges, there are good sponges and bad sponges. If you care about paint care and/or detailing and you don't know thedifference,safer to stick to lambs' wool or microfibre mitts and the two bucket method.
If you're happy to let those of an uncertain eastern european accent 'clean' your car at Tesco's or sit in amechanicalcar wash then carry on, as you were.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I washed mine the other day, when I finished and then came back to it I actually gasped at how gorgeous it was... like when I got it all over again...I'm going to be washing my car more often, microfibre mitt, 2-bucket method and microfibre towels ftw!
Mind you, I've invested in a water blade cos I have hard water and it is a PITA trying to dry the whole car before the water dries and starts leaving spot marks.......
Just need to find time to wash, wax and then have the wheels off and wash and wax them too... then it will really shine........

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Go to cleanyourcar.co.uk - loads of mits and drying towels in there but it can get addictive!

I also live in a hard water area but from what I understand the blades can just drag a tiny bit of grit over your car and scratch the hell out of it. I wash half the car at a time, front and back separately too so it doesn't dry too quick.

Also do wheels first that way any muck or wheel cleaner that ends up on your body work will be washed off.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Sideways,
Waterblade?
Noooooo !

It only takes a small spec of grit to land on the car from a passing bird and the blade will scraaaaaatch !

Wouldn't recommend from previous experiences...Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Musketeer said:
What's this 'Two Bucket' method

Basically one bucket for rinsing out your dirty sponge/mitt into and another with clean soapy water in for the washing. Use grit guards to stop the sponge to the bottom of the bucket picking up dirt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.