GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I wait for the GT86 to come out and my test drive in France next Saturday,(hee hee) I've still been keeping my options open and have been test driving other cars over the last 3-4 months.

Have any of you been doing the same?

This is what I've driven of late in no particular order:

New Mercedes 250 SLK Auto - Lovely car but with a wife and child it's not practical. 3 into 2 seats doesn't go.
New Mercedes C250 AutoC Class coupe - Nice and fast and very comfortable but I don't like the image and it was a bit dull to drive. Running costs seem high.
Used Audi TT S-line S-tronic (211bhp)£25k -Very fast, great gearbox, numb handling, awful image and too common. Also looked at A5 but bit grown up for me.
Used Audi TTS S tronic (275bhp) £28k - Mental fast!!!! Poor handling (loads of understeer). Again awful image and common.
Used Seat Ibiza Bocanegra DSG 180bhp - Cheapish at £14k 6 mths old. Very fast, great gearbox. Engine to powerful for car plus yobish image. Nasty interior.
Used Hyundai Veloster DCT Sport auto "£17500" ex-demo with 1k miles - Drove this yesterday. Firstly it's far too slow in NA trim. I'd have to consider Turbo version coming out in late 2012 with 184bhp and virtually the same performance figs as GT86. Came completely loaded as standard - pano sunroof, heated seats, climate, cruise, £1000 media centre, leather, steering wheel controls, and loads of storage in dash/centre console. Handled well but it wont hold a candle to GT86. Negatives are the wait for turbo version and the slightly debateable front styling although Turbo version will have reworked front bumper that is much better from what I've seen. Guy at Hyundai said they are annoyed that the Turbo wasn't launched at same time as NA version as everyone who testsVeloster says it's too slow and move on to look at other cars so they lose sales.

So after all these tests the only other remote possibility for meis a Veloster Turbo which like the GT86 will involve a long wait till launch.

How can it be so hard to find a good car.........

Edited by: en8wall

·
Registered
68 Posts
I test drove a Renaultsport Twingo the other day, oddly it felt too big...and the route the guy directed me along didn't take me on any roads faster than 40mph so I have no idea how it really feels to drive, I assume he was worried I'd try to be a boy racer or something.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Golden Rule there is, if you have an accompanied test drive you pick the route yourself. Be very careful salesmen don't guide you around safe, slow, busy roads etc where you can't get a real feel for the car. And importantly a short route! LOL They try any trick to pull off a sale.

If the salesman insists on a certain route, walk away and test-drive elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts