GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Car Detailing-DIY

9K views 108 replies 21 participants last post by  mark-in-stoke 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering doing the Detailing myself. There are so many products I am all at sea as to which ones are the best for me. It does appear the Zaino are used by alot of detailers and seem to get good feedback for detailing world.

Can anyone whom has done this before give any advice on which product worked well for them? Namely; Foams, Shampoos,Clay, Sealants for a start.

Within reason, ££ is not too much of an issue.

Also how about wheel cleaners/sealants?

All comments advice welcome! - I get my car in two weeks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would suggest starting with AutoGlym stuff, it's decent and proven, and easy to get.

You'll need a couple of buckets, with grit guards if you're really picky.

You'll need a wash mit.

Some AugoGlym Bodywork shampoo

Some Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Ultra Deep Shine

Then finish with AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection or HD Wax.

To apply the products you will need a bunch of mircofibre cloths, tesco often do these for £1 each or better in their car washing section, and after you have used them you can wash an re-use them :)

Also use these microfibre cloths to dry the car :)

For wheel cleaner find something non-corrosive. The standard wheels have a polished face, and if you get a stone chip in them then use something corrosive to clean them it'll be a mess. The car shampoo should do the job fine if you clean them regularly, especially if you get the car home, clean the wheels and give them a good waxxing with a product like Rimwax :)

I hope this helps a little :)

#4 ·
None if it is overly tricky to use, just make sure you follow the instructions ;) If you put too much of anything on, or dont allow it to cure, that's when you start to need mega elbow-grease.

It's a new car, it should just be a case of adding a little shine and crucially maintaining some protection so the inevitable tree sap and bird offerings do not stick and mark the paint :)

#5 ·
You shouldn't need any polishes at all. If you protect your paint from new and wash it nicely you shouldn't incur too many scratches. Get a decent paint cleanser and a good sealant and you should be laughing for a few months at a time :)

#6 ·
gt_sjo said:
You shouldn't need any polishes at all. If you protect your paint from new and wash it nicely you shouldn't incur too many scratches. Get a decent paint cleanser and a good sealant and you should be laughing for a few months at a time :)
Agreed you dont need polish on new paint! Just a good clean and seal.
Any suggestions on good sealants and paint cleansers?

Edited by: GT86Owner

#8 ·
GT86Owner said:
Agreed you dont need polish on new paint! Just a good clean and seal.
Any suggestions on good sealants and paint cleansers?

Well that's a can of worms in itself :)

Cleansers vary from non-abrasive, to fairly abrasive. I think on brand new fresh paint i'd be looking at a non-abrasive or at the worst something like the new Dodo Juice micro prime.

Sealant wise. I believe they come in various types; polymer, fluro-polymer, acrylic and ceramic. This is also in order of longevity (ceramic being longest-lasting), although i'm sure there is some cross-over or complete oddballs. I have been looking at some of these ceramic/quartz products like Opti-coat or the CQuartz stuff, but as I already have a new bottle of Dodo Juice acrylic spritz i'll just use that and refresh it every few months. You really need to know what you're doing with the ceramic/quartz stuff and the paint needs proper prep before you apply it.

Edited by: gt_sjo

#14 ·
Targ86 said:
sealant - try supagard
some people hate it. But at the end if the day it is a paint sealant product similar to lots of other manufacturer's products in the marketplace.
I have a supagard kit in my garage that a work colleage gave me (he has a few kicking around from his previous job at a car dealer) but the review dont show it in good light. I want a quality tried and tested set of products.

I am leaning towards autoglym Ultradeep Shine and Extra gloss protection ontop of that for paint seal/protection.

#16 ·
My plan is:

1) Foam
2) shampoo
3) apply Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine - wait couple hours
4) apply Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - Leave for the rest of the day
5) Next day shampoo car
6) Apply Autoglym High Definition Wax

What do we think about this?

I guess one concern might be the couple hour gap between applying the sealants whereby contaminants might settle....

#18 ·
Ops forgot the claying part, shall update it.

My plan is:

1) Foam
2) Clay
3) Shampoo
4) apply Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine - wait couple hours
5) apply Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - Leave for the rest of the day
6) Next day shampoo car
7) Apply Autoglym High Definition Wax

What do we think about this?

I guess one concern might be the couple hour gap between applying the sealants whereby contaminants might settle....

Iron-x is interesting. Perhaps I should add iron-xing befroe claying.

THsi whole detailnig thing can get out of hand!

#19 ·
Are you talking of applying to products then waiting to buff them off, or applying, letting cure, then buff off, then wait the hours?

Dont leave the stuff on there for hours, it makes it a total pain to remove (ask me how I know)...

I dont think you need to wait hours between products, however if you do a quick squirt of quick detailer and a wipe down with a clean MF cloth will have it clean and ready for the next product :)

Also when washing the car feel the paint through the mit - if it's smooth as it should be on a new car - I would expect no contaminents, then the claying shouldn't be needed.

Edited by: Rarerims

#21 ·
Rarerims said:
Are you talking of applying to products then waiting to buff them off, or applying, letting cure, then buff off, then wait the hours?

Dont leave the stuff on there for hours, it makes it a total pain to remove (ask me how I know)...

I dont think you need to wait hours between products, however if you do a quick squirt of quick detailer and a wipe down with a clean MF cloth will have it clean and ready for the next product :)

Also when washing the car feel the paint through the mit - if it's smooth as it should be on a new car - I would expect no contaminents, then the claying shouldn't be needed.
Apply, buff then wait a couple hours. The UDS need to be well cured before appying the EGP.

Im gonig to clay becuase you dont knopw what weathering the car went through on the back of the lorry gonig to the dealer...... Some contaminants appear smooth

And then leaving overnight for the UDS and EGP to harden before waxing to give a lovely glossy look

#25 ·
It turns out that one shouldn't use ultra deep shine with extra gloss protection. Instead one should use resin polish followed by extra gloss protection. In the faqs on autoglym someone asks the question... Resin polish is not really a polish in that its very very mildly abrasive. They recommend using it on New cars..

#26 ·
gt_sjo said:
Be careful with stuff like Iron X and Tardis.. read the label.. Not sure i'd want to stick it on fresh paint!

Yeap, thanks for that. I think im going to just stick to the Autogylm stuff that comes with thekit. After all it a new car, that paint cant be that dirty! Shampooand Clay should do it! Edited by: GT86Owner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.