GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I had seen the GT86 in the flesh Iheard that a Turbo version of the Veloster was coming out. I drove a N/A veloster which was dog slow and thought I'd consider the Turbo when it came out later this year.
Thank god for the GT86. Makes the Veloster look lardie.

·
Registered
787 Posts
en8wall said:
one of these instead of my GT86. Veloster Turbo, my god it's ugly compared to my '86.
I know the feeling... I loved our 2.0l SIII Coupe (2007) and the concept car that Hyundai showed a few years ago is stunning...

...and I thought to myself, "if ever anything like that arrives in the UK, I will rip their right arm off for it..." but, sadly, it has never made these shores and the reality is that it has never made anywhere else in that form (apart from at Racing Venues) either. The compromise that is the Veloster is just awful in so many ways...

I even considered the top of the range Citroen DS4 at one point! As you say (later), thank goodness for the GT86!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
CPN said:
en8wall said:
one of these instead of my GT86.  Veloster Turbo, my god it's ugly compared to my '86.
I know the feeling... I loved our 2.0l SIII Coupe (2007) and the concept car that Hyundai showed a few years ago is stunning...

...and I thought to myself, "if ever anything like that arrives in the UK, I will rip their right arm off for it..." but, sadly, it has never made these shores and the reality is that it has never made anywhere else in that form (apart from at Racing Venues) either. The compromise that is the Veloster is just awful in so many ways...

I even considered the top of the range Citroen DS4 at one point! As you say (later), thank goodness for the GT86!!
Looks like they just jazzed up a Lexus.

·
Registered
787 Posts
en8wall said:
I part exchanged a 56 Hyundai Coupe for my GT86. Pretty car, dog slow and handled like an oil tanker compared to the GT86.
Ours was the year later (last year of production I believe?) in titanium grey (lighter than the GT86 Grey we have now...). Have to say our 2.0l wasn't that slow and for an automatic (1st one I have ever owned in 40+ yrs of driving!) it used to return amazing fuel consumption figures on steady long runs down south using the cruise control... (40+mpg) Was yours the smaller engined one? Can't believe how different the front end of yours looks to ours! (which had the newer front light clusters and a slightly different nose...)but, like you say, handled like an oil tanker compared to the GT86!!

Big up to the Toyota Dealer for giving us an excellent price for a 5 year old car but it did only have 28,000+ on the clock and it was in excellent knick (gave us £5000+ against the GT86). Everyone happy and I got my grubby mitts on this wonderful car I now cosset.
(is that the right word?)

Edited by: CPN

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CPN
Mine was a 2.0 Auto too and I agree about the MPG on long runs. As for the speed, whenver I used to thrash it sounded awful and just wasn' overly sporty. I think the poor handling didnt inspire confidence with throwing it about like we can with the GT86. Shame they didn't replace it. The latest i've seen for sale was a 59 Reg, yours was the final incarnation.

·
Registered
787 Posts
en8wall said:
CPN
Mine was a 2.0 Auto too and I agree about the MPG on long runs. As for the speed, whenver I used to thrash it sounded awful and just wasn' overly sporty. I think the poor handling didnt inspire confidence with throwing it about like we can with the GT86. Shame they didn't replace it. The latest i've seen for sale was a 59 Reg, yours was the final incarnation.
Ah you had the auto too! I get what you mean about a "thrash"... I had "improved" the sound of ours a bit with a K&N and a properly fitted CAI Kit which also seemed to improve the top end a bit also but in general, you are right. Sporty it wasn't
It is a great shame they never replaced it. The Genesis project had a lot of promise and the one now sold in the states (with the V6) is quite a car but probably still a bit of a bathtub by all accounts I have seen...

Colin

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
en8wall said:
have you actually seen one on the road? I had one in front of me this evening and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam they got that sexy ass

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^

Agreed - they're much more striking in the flesh than in pics, especially the turbo. I did a double-take when I saw one the other week. You've got to hand it to the Koreans for having the cojones to build something so distinctive.

Edited by: gar074

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's a dog imho. I was looking at the Guiletta and the Scirocco. But neither made me get my wallet out. The GT86 did. In 3.9 seconds. Whilst hungover. And never having seen one in the flesh. Lucky break!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same here with the Giulietta. Knew I should like it, I've adored my Alfa Mitoand defended it through all the problems (paint, gearbox, suspension) but the Giulietta didn't make me fall in love, unlike the GT, where I had a groin on my face for about 2 hours after a 5 minute test drive!!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cassiepod said:
Same here with the Giulietta. Knew I should like it, I've adored my Alfa Mitoand defended it through all the problems (paint, gearbox, suspension) but the Giulietta didn't make me fall in love, unlike the GT, where I had a groin on my face for about 2 hours after a 5 minute test drive!!!!
I really do hope that was not a "groin" on your face!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.