GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking for some advise, I've had a browse through the forum but cannot find anyone with the same problem as me.

I parked the car with the handbrake off, leaving it in gear because I'd moved parking spaces with the handbrake on because I'm an idiot (I didn't want to leave the handbrake on while it was hot). I locked the car and left it. I was able to get into it 2 days ago to grab something out of the boot. However, today the car will not unlock and the alarm is sounding. I've tried the fob and the key. I've tried wiggling the key around and turning. I've tried holding down buttons on the fob.

It also means I cannot get under the bonnet to connect a battery charger as I've seen this could be a common cause for something like this.

Any other suggestions guys? I'm currently completely locked out and out of ideas.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Can you see if the alarm is still flashing inside the car?

Hold the fob right next to the door handle and pull the handle. If the alarm is sounding the car battery should be ok, is the fob battery dead?
Alternatively get some WD40, spray the door lock and apply abit to the key and try openning it manually - it will be stiff but should open.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The key can require some force to turn to get it to unlock manually, it's usually enough with just the plastic hoop and a lot of force twisting it round but eventually it should click (easier with keyring off). I've had to do this a few times.

After getting a battery monitor I also found out the boot catch was the most likely place to get battery drain if it doesn't see it as closed properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't see anything flashing and the alarm has stopped now. I've tried holding the fob next to the handle of both doors and the boot with no success.

The red light flashes on the fob so I assume it's batteries are okay.

I've tried opening it manually but I feel if I twist the key any harder, I'm going to break the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so a pair of pliers and some patience and I managed to get into the car. However she's completely dead. No sign of any battery life which is strange because there has been no sign of a dying battery over the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Okay, so a pair of pliers and some patience and I managed to get into the car. However she's completely dead. No sign of any battery life which is strange because there has been no sign of a dying battery over the past couple of weeks.
Sadly, the battery failing is a right of passage for 86 owners :(

If it's still under warranty, Toyota will swap the battery out for you, with little to no fuss.

If your car isn't your daily, consider picking up a CTEK battery charger. There was a thread not long back, where they came out on top, based on folks 1st hand experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So for completion, the car started fine after trickle charging it overnight. I took it to a garage and the mechanic could not find anything wrong with the battery or alternator and I haven't had any problems since.*

Basically, something drained the battery and I'm not sure what. I've read something about the boot latch draining the battery if it is not closed properly, but other than that I don't know what could have caused that.*

PS. before anyone says it, exterior and interior lights were the first thing I checked

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morning!

Got the same thing happening to me right now!

Got a 70 plate manual GT86.
Not used it for about 7 says.

Key Fob will not open the door. The car looks dead, no sensor light inside flashing.

Tried the manual key and it will turn about 45 degrees, no further and does nothing.

How far should the key turn? Do I need pliers??!! Flimsy these keys!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Morning!

Got the same thing happening to me right now!

Got a 70 plate manual GT86.
Not used it for about 7 says.

Key Fob will not open the door. The car looks dead, no sensor light inside flashing.

Tried the manual key and it will turn about 45 degrees, no further and does nothing.

How far should the key turn? Do I need pliers??!! Flimsy these keys!

Common issue with the 86 this.

They should turn about 45 degrees, if the lock is frozen warm it up with water, or if its not use WD40. Jiggle the key until it frees up is often enough. Be careful of using to much pressure people have snapped keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morning!

Ok. Good news is that I got into the car and charged the battery, took it out for a nice long run.

However, a new issue.

I have a continuous fast flashing red light on the dash displaying the car with a padlock.
The manual says this is a security indicator: "the key has not been registered with the vehicles on board computer.!

What the heck is it on about and how do you stop it flashing?! How do you register the keys with the on board computer??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok.........just found a thread which suggests the blinking red light is supposed to be a blinking red light!
Even though it wasn't until the battery went flat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts