GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a test drive in a Subaru BRZ today and had a good look at the stereo fitted, much talked about here. See pic below.

The dealer actually mentioned it first before I even got in the car. He reckoned it looked cheap and couldn't understand how something that looks that bad had been designed. He also had an accessory that could be fitted as a replacement. I saw a working demonstrators model. It's made by Pioneer and includes satnav. So pretty similar to Toyota's Touch and Go unit.

The Subaru stereo quality is ok and ok only. Adequate probably the best description. But as the engine sound is loud and growly, ironically the engine noise is fantastic to hear and quickly I simply switched off the stereo.
Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Funny you should mention the BRZ stereo. In aWhatcar? test I've just read of TT v Megane Sport v GT86 V BRZ they voted the BRZ as having the best stereo!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Press car probably had an upgraded unit.

The stock item as speedy rightly says, is poor.

... But you can just pop a nice aftermarket unit in.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Came out top - no way!!!!

I used to have a RS250 and the stereo in it is again okay. Nothing special, but not poor. I reckon in comparison between the two cars, the quality of the BRZ stereo to have this same rating - just adequate, but not "good". The looks of the BRZ stereois probablypoor - sort of aftermarket, Halfords job. Or something fitted to a mid 90s car.

If it came out top, I'm dreading to think what the stereo in the GT86 I've ordered is like...

Edited by: Speedymurr

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
Press car probably had an upgraded unit.

The stock item as speedy rightly says, is poor.

... But you can just pop a nice aftermarket unit in.
Was the same stero as yours Icantafford. They say "The standard stero looks dated, but all of its buttons are chunky and clearly marked" The more I read the article the more I reckon they don't know what they're talking about, they say that BRZ and GT86 dont have IPOD connectivity when we all know they do.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Could they mean when they say no IPod connectivity that they're referring to the actuallyproprietary apple connection rather than a USB port or Bluethooth?

·
Registered
887 Posts
My Missus' iPhone plays music and can be controlled and charged through a USB cable plugged into the socket on the dash so I think that pretty much counts as iPod connectivity covered...

Otherwise the unit is pretty good in the GT86, fairly fast and responsive to touch inputs, I've not fiddled about with the sound settings but just wanging the volume up leads to the usual 'factory fit' distortion... It may be the source quality though, I've yet to try an actual CD...!

And Bluetooth works a treat too, phone works, handsfree is good, on-car phonebook a bit naff, A2DP works nicely :)

And the nav is acceptable, map isn't totally up to date (I live on a new estate and the estate has only been here about 18 months...) but its not too far off otherwise.

All in, for a factory unit, it is as I expected, I may upgrade speakers in future or look at fitting an amp but for now I'm happy with bog standard... :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The BRZ stereo looks like it's a set of standard parts built into a new configuration. Not much effort put in for that by Suburu. I'd ask for it to be taken out before I got the car and I'd reduce the price paid for the car by £50 as I'm sure that's all it's worth.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My BRZ stereo's days are numbered

My Pioneer AVH-8400BT has just arrived in the post.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:

Your dealer deserves to be birched & bitch-slapped for supplying the car with that!

My local Subaru dealer even offered to replace it to get my business (much to their credit) but he couldn't afford to also replace the dash, dampers, springs, bumper, etc...
Edited by: Senna

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ooooooo shiny!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've also ordered the metra fitting kit the guys are using in the States.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Standard BRZ is an old Toyota one.
Has anyone heard of one of the units from the GT86 being used instead? The Toyota dealer I dropped into to ask was abut as helpful and clueless of the world as a door mouse... " this looks like a GT86 " wasn't a good start for building my confidence in his knowledge of the model...
Any thoughts on the Pioneers Sat Navs Subaru offer fitted for a grand, would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:

Would you do me a favour and let me know if the unit fits in the dash without any gaps?

When I upgraded the unit on my WRX hatch I had to get the JDM surround as big gaps either side of the unit.
Wasn't an issue on the 330s as factory fitted nav as standard.

Still thinking 1k is a big chunk of money
for the Pioneer unit Subaru are fitting. Dealer has said they would fit a unit for me bless 'em

Ta

Jude

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Should be midweek; not sure how it will work, fit wise.

My dealer has ordered the fitting kit for the factory pioneer nav unit, and I've a metra kit inbound from the states; between the 2 we should get a reasonable finish.

The unit cost £400 ish and I'll stick with iPhone copilot for Nav.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
jude555 said:
ICantAffordAnLFA said:

Would you do me a favour and let me know if the unit fits in the dash without any gaps?

When I upgraded the unit on my WRX hatch I had to get the JDM surround as big gaps either side of the unit.
Wasn't an issue on the 330s as factory fitted nav as standard.

Still thinking 1k is a big chunk of money
for the Pioneer unit Subaru are fitting. Dealer has said they would fit a unit for me bless 'em

Ta

Jude

here it is using a Subaru supplied fitting kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics

Doesn't look too bad, so that looks like the best option as long as my dealer can get hold ofthe kit.

Cheers

Jude

1 - 17 of 17 Posts