GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
If you've been looking for a method of mounting your phone, tablet or nav device in your GT86, then look no further as the legendary Brodit (www.brodit.com) have brought out one of their awesome ProClip products for both the RHD and LHD version of the Toyota GT86 (and Subaru BRZ). Product number for the RHD version is '654812'.

Product Page: http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=654812&pn=prod&brand=Toyota&model=GT86&year=2013

For those not familiar with the Brodit ProClip system, let me explain.

Brodit's mounting solution comprises of two parts: A bespoke 'ProClip' which attaches to your vehicle, and a 'holder' for your specific device. The ProClip's themselves do not require any drilling or permanent damage to your vehicle unlike most other holders - usually just clipping into existing trim parts of the car, or worst case scenario being extra secure with some double-sized tape. The 'holder' part is specific for your phone and tend to come in a variety of options, such as passive (e.g. no charging), or with a built in USB/charging port which can either be hard-wired into your vehicle or plug straight into the cigarette lighter socket. The major advantage of the ProClip system is if you change vehicle or phone/device, you only have to change one half of the solution - simply replace either the ProClip part or the holder as necessary.

Moving swiftly on, here's a photograph of the Brodit ProClip solution installed into my GT86. What you actually see here is both the ProClip (attached the vehicle) and the specific phone holder mounted to it (in my case for a Samsung GalaxyS3).

Let me take you through the installation process:

So this is the car before any changes... the ProClip will fix just to the left of the radio..

Here we have the actual ProClip holder bespoke for the GT86/BRZ/FR-S... you can see some double-sided tape on the bottom part of the clip and there is similar on the upper part out of sight...

Better picture of the two clip parts of the ProClip, where the tape is, and also the product numbe for reference...

Okay, so to mount the ProClip you start with the bottom part of the clip.... It slides just under the radio trim surround immediately above the silver upright section.. it's a good idea to trial fit it without using the double-sided tape initially and go back and re-fit with the tape once you're happy.. I personally am finding I don't need to use the tape at all!

The next step is to clip the top part of the ProClip to the air vent area.. You have to be a bit tough with it to get it seated but once it's there, it gives you a re-assuring purchase...

Here is the ProClip fitted.. you can see from the driver's seat it doesn't get in the way of the radio, but of course once you add in your specific phone/device holder the view may become obstructed depending on the size of your device..

Another picture head-on...

Here is the phone holder for the Samsung Galaxy S3 (active, with built-in power)...

This is the rear part of the phone holder, you can see the four main screw holes which is where the tilt-swivel mount part of the holder fixes to the ProClip secured to the vehicle...

The tilt-swivel part of the holder detaches from the front part of the holder with a single screw release.. you need to do this to screw it to the ProClip as such... I've positioned the mount to the top-left part of the ProClip as my phone is pretty large and I wanted it out of the way of the radio...

And finally the front part of the phone holder is screwed on (in a position of your choice)... you can still operate the volume control on the OEM stereo if you use your left hand.. might be tricky for your passenger though!

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the phone in the dock, as I was using it to take the photos!!

This is a really nice solution. I've used Brodit products for years across several different phones and cars and it's always a pleasure whenever I need to change. There are also other products in the range where you can have quick-release holders incase you and the missus have different phones in the same car, for example..

Where to buy:

You can find your local distributor here: http://www.brodit.com/findDistributor.html?pn=handle&sm=fd

This is the UK distributor: http://www.nemesistechnology.com/

I always purchase my Brodit products in the UKfrom: http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

Happy Brodit'ing!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
With a TomTom had to extend the mount to the left, already had TomTom mount from my Celica Brodit setup

Originally

but

so extended mount to left (used old Celica mount)

Now

Not Brodit's fault just a consequence of having a wide device

Got mine from dsl developments as well.

Alec
Edited by: keelerad

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I just bought one as it's likely to be a couple of months before I get the wikkid sounds and head unit installed. I went for a passive mount for the iPhone 4S as the USB will power it.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
* UPDATE *</font>

Unfortunately my ProClip and S3 holder combo developed an annoying rattle/tizz noise. My contact at Brodit initially responded to this but has subsequently ignored my last two emails over a period of weeks.

This is pretty poor customer service from Brodit.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Stu said:
* UPDATE *</font>

Unfortunately my ProClip and S3 holder combo developed an annoying rattle/tizz noise. My contact at Brodit initially responded to this but has subsequently ignored my last two emails over a period of weeks.

This is pretty poor customer service from Brodit.
Is this Brodit themselves or DSL Developments (the UK distributor) ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has anyone tried using an active holder from Brodit for fixed installation? i.e not using the ciggy lighter but to actually wire it into the electrics somewhere.Ta

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easy enough to install, but it's an expensive way to do it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good point Stu.Do you consider the Ciggy version good enough?
Wasnt sure if the hanging cable would be annoying or anything. Would you be able to use it on the glove box ciggy lighter?Would you still recommend this product as i know your post was a while back?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it's spot on. You should be able to hide the wire for the most part!

·
Registered
967 Posts
You can avoid spending mega-bucks on the specific phone holder by getting one like me (generic spring loaded). Attaches with a suction mount. Comes with a 3M sticky sticky circle, which sticks onto the Brodit. Very secure!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cor blimey, just looked at the price for the Nexus 5 active holder, £60+!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Stu said:
Cor blimey, just looked at the price for the Nexus 5 active holder, £60+!!

I looked at the price for the Xperia Z1 Compact (£35)! Hence my choice of mount (think it's about £3.50). I have to plug the charge need in when needed, but it tends to hold it charge well, so not always necessary.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It's a nice bracket but I now need a new cradle for my iPhone 5s which has got me umming

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
It's a nice bracket but I now need a new cradle for my iPhone 5s which has got me umming
Old technology?

You disappoint me...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Actually I'm not loving my iPhone at the mo ( hanging, freezing, wifi drops ) so I'm holding fire on a new brodit straight through holder

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.