GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So despite being a member on quite a few owner's forums for various cars I've never actually made a project thread, usually due to a lack of in-progress pictures or simply being too lazy but I guess I may as well make my first one a big one!

So a couple of week's ago I picked up my GT86, I wasn't planning on getting one so soon but I've been keeping my eyes out for a cheap written off one with just the right amount of damage and that's exactly what I got when this popped up!
Warning graphic images!

And it was in the exact colour I wanted! So less than 48 hours after it was listed I had placed a deposit and arranged to travel up to Lincoln to pick it up the following Saturday.
The car is a 63 plate and is registered as a Cat N (previously called Cat D) write off meaning that there is no structural damage to the chassis but it was beyond economical repair for the insurance company.

So the next Saturday rolled around and I was a little bit worried about what I was getting myself in to but I decided to just feign ignorance and rely on the Insurance insepctors classifying it correctly.

And when I finally got it back home and in the garage thats how it stayed for a couple of weeks as I didn't have the time to crack on with it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And so finally today I was finally able to get my hands on it and see what was what!

My
plan is to take it a little bit slow, not only to lessen the blow to my
wallet but also to simply get things done right the first time rather
than have to re-visit areas further down the line.
So I had already
costed a few bits up before making the purchase, I know that the most
expensive parts will be a set of headlights even if they are aftermarket
and the Airbag set. Most of the parts im probably going to get from a
Toyota dealer or online if they're cheap enough and legit.

So without further ado heres a few pics of my first day spannering on the car!

Here's how it sits in the garage, quite tight compared to the previous occupant and as you can see its still looking a little sorry for itself.

Couple of closeup of some of some of the damage

Quite a horrible sight! but with the fenders and the remnants of the headlights out of the way it was starting to look a bit better.

Those fenders are a bit of a pain to get off though!
The core support was a little tricky to get off with the washer bottle in the way and a few mildly bent bits of radiator support in the way but eventually after a few hours it was in a much better state and I could start checking out whether there was any further damage to be worried about.

Sorry for the blurry pic!

And the pile of parts that came off...

So now that the worst has been removed there's a couple of bit's im unsure about so I'm looking for a few second opinions!

The Top "branches" of the rad support are clearly bent and I'll replace those along with the enter of it that holds the bonnet lach mechanism however I'm wondering if a couple of other areas are bent which I wasn't expecting, namely these areas:

It almost appears they've come ever so slightly away and bent downwards from the rest of the frame, thoughts on this?

As well as this the bottom of the rad support actually looks straight which I was not expecting, can anyone confirm whether this looks right?

So thats it for now, the battery's completely dead as well so that's a bummer.
I'm going to have to get a shopping list together and start placing a few orders as I hope I've removed all the bent parts so far that don't need their spot welds drilled out, those will come next!

Edited by: Samwise

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quick spray of WD40 for the mechanical bits and a polish for the metal bits should see that right.

In all seriousness the best of luck with your rebuild.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amcluesent said:
Put an HKS supercharger on while you've pulled the front end apart
Haha I have other plans for some power but it will be a long way off yet!

Cheers all so far :)

Edited by: Samwise

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys thats really cool to hear :)

Updates may be slow as I don't get alot of time to go round and work on the car but i'll make sure theres some good updates!

Hoping to go along to a few Sussex meets so I can get to know a few people and nose around their cars!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would be seriously tempted to check the linearity of all the inner subframe box sections, it's surprising how far back the shock can be transfered, if you are mounting new crumple zone sections on an off part chances are the exterior panels will not likely line up properly.

Any idea what speed and angle the original impact was at?

Any signs in the interior that the firewall may have transfered any energy back, interior not sitting correct (not just the airbag areas)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
milligoon said:
I would be seriously tempted to check the linearity of all the inner subframe box sections, it's surprising how far back the shock can be transfered, if you are mounting new crumple zone sections on an off part chances are the exterior panels will not likely line up properly.

Any idea what speed and angle the original impact was at?

Any signs in the interior that the firewall may have transfered any energy back, interior not sitting correct (not just the airbag areas)
I am going to check it out when I get a chance.
I'll check out the interior, I've not had much chance to spend any time in there currently.

Probably
going to use a laser measuring tool to check whether the front core
support mounting points line up with a point on the rear of the car such
as the centre of the rear wheels, door handles, etc I feel that should
give a fairly good idea as to whether anything is out of line?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
amcluesent said:
It’s like B is for Build, in Brighton. :)
Ouch, that's harsh

I'm not looking to bodge the car back together but I would rather confirm for myself whether the chassis is straight before paying someone to do it as the hassle of getting the car anywhere is a pain :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another here that will be interested in watching your progress. Congrats on taking this on, should be interesting!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the below channel on YouTube, but his crash took a lot of front end damage and the videos following from this one cover some of the repairs/lesson's learnt etc - might be on interest....(warning: explicit content of a GT86 coming to harm at the start of the video and graphic content of a damaged 86 throughout!)...

[TUBE]X2elxbHxgC0[/TUBE]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've checked out alot of Chris' stuff on the channel above and I know he's had a lot of issues with his chassis bucking after his numerous bumps. It appears whatever the previous owner his landed fairly central as most of the damage was to the upper radiator support, crash bar and radiator. I still have the remnants of the front bumper as well in about 200 different pieces.

So today I didn't get to do alot as it was raining on and off all day and im waiting on a spot weld drill bit to remove the last couple of rad support parts so I decided just to look out for any likely signs that the chassis has moved, At some point i'll do some proper measurements and get some numbers down to compare the level of the chassis legs and how they fair in relation to the rest of the chassis as well as the distance between the front and rear lower control arm mounting points diagonally to confirm theres no effects further down the car.
Theres a few bent bits that need to be replaced however this is all part of the front rad support structure which i'll be removing and re-fitting with new parts, mostly the parts as sub assembly 4 and 5 hereas well as both parts labeled 2:

So other than that the only thing to worry about that I can see so far is that the corner of the chassis arm that bolts to the crash structure will need to be tweaked back in to place or maybe even replaced as its part of the sub assembly 4 I noted above:

Heres the face of the other side, again the parts from sub assembly 5 will need to be replaced as mentioned above:

Other than that most of it looks pretty good, just going to chuck a load of images up :) - Top/engine bay side of both chassis legs, no buckling to be seen and the seam sealer is still intact:

Lower rad support is straight and true although the perspective of my phone camera makes it look a bit weird, i'll measure to make sure though when I get a chance:

Inside of the arches looks okay:

And the wishbones themselves don't appear to be bent, although the yare a funny old shape from factory.

Sorry for all the boring stuff this time
Just want to make sure everything is okay before I go ahead spending cash and bolting on new parts to a shagged chassis.

Next week I'm going to take a few measurements to hopefully confirm this and then head down to Toyota to start ordering a few parts, first will be a new airbag set I think. I've seen a few from Breakers on eBay for roughly £800-1k and i'm hoping the dealership price will be similar but we'll soon find out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a small update, bought some goodies for the 86 despite the fact its still in 1000 pieces

Set of Clear/black/red Valenti lights from Ft86speedfactory in the states, these were my favourite over the smoked or red lensed offerings we get here and they were actually ever so slightly cheaper even after delivery and import costs
Going to get the rear lights installed this weekend but the 3rd light might take a little bit more work to get it to function as a fog light.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't get a lot done today, drilled out a few spot welds on the last few damaged pieces but the drill ran out of power

Visited the local Toyota dealership today and left them a lovely list of part numbers I need ordered, waiting to hear back from them on Monday!

Got the rear lights fitted but there's a funny little problem with them, the rear indicator and sidelight wires are mixed up, meaning the rear lights blink with the hazards and the indicators stay solid. Going to sort this out by popping the pins out the connector and swapping them over but they look so good!

So I've also opened up the back of the V light and I'm going to tap the V LED bar in to the side lights of the rear light clusters, didn't get any before shots but you can see here I've soldered the connection for the LED bar (light blue cable) in to a bit of wire that i'll run up to the rear light clusters. Yes this is the extra length of cable that comes with the light to make the fog light flash like an F1 brake light. I hate the thought of that "Feature" so I figured i'd just reuse the cable for my own use!

Going to plug this back in tomorrow or next weekend to test it as well as sort the rear light clusters, think I'm going to be waiting a while for parts from Toyota unfortunately.

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
Samwise said:
Got the rear lights fitted but theres a funny little problem with them, the rear indicator and sidelight wires are mixed up, meaning the rear
lights blink with the hazards and the indicators stay solid. Going to
sort this out by popping the pins out the connector and swapping them
over but they look so good!
For some reason the US cars have different rear light wiring from the rest of the world. In the early days they had to re-pin the lights that were coming from Japan to work correctly, so if you buy from the US they will have this issue. Plenty of vids on YouTube showing how to re-pin Valentis, takes 5 mins.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts