GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Brembo vs Pagid Brake Discs? (standard size)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my standard OEM brake discs and pads front and rear.
Euro car parts offer both Brembo and Pagid discs and pads for the standard OEM sizes (294mm OD front, 290mm OD rear).
Does anyone have any experience with either of these, and whether one is better than the other? I should also say that I don't track my car and use as a daily driver.

Thanks if you can help. I'd also appreciate any other advice with regards to which make of discs/pads are best for the standard setup on the GT86.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Personally I would steer clear of Euro car parts Pagid, as its not the reputable 'Pagid' brand used in racing and has no real link apart from name. Brembo blanks are similar but fewer people have problems with them. Tbh the genuine isn't that expensive (but its all relative) and can take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Personally I would steer clear of Euro car parts Pagid, as its not the reputable 'Pagid' brand used in racing and has no real link apart from name. Brembo blanks are similar but fewer people have problems with them. Tbh the genuine isn't that expensive (but its all relative) and can take a lot of abuse.
I see, thanks for your response.
At Euro car parts you can get a set of Brembo discs and pads (front and rear) for around £230 all in which seems like a very good deal to me.
Looking on Toyota's ebay store for the genuine ones, you are looking at around £570 for a set of discs and pads (front and rear).
If the Pagid/Brembo discs really are that bad then I'll have to go for the genuine ones but I just thought the OEM equivalent brands such as Pagid or Brembo would still be good quality, and are especially tempting with them being less than half the price of the genuine.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There is little difference between different iron disks of different manufacturers and one can simply get whichever is cheapest. For same reasons eg. Centrics are popular in US (but less so due pricing here). Only thing i'd suggest is to get ones, that are "blanks", not ones that are drilled or slotted, especially if for track.
Pads .. it's much more mushy area with different people for different uses and different budgets having different "best pads". My own choice for street are ferodo DS2500, while for track i switch to CSG C1.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is little difference between different iron disks of different manufacturers and one can simply get whichever is cheapest. For same reasons eg. Centrics are popular in US (but less so due pricing here). Only thing i'd suggest is to get ones, that are "blanks", not ones that are drilled or slotted, especially if for track.
Pads .. it's much more mushy area with different people for different uses and different budgets having different "best pads". My own choice for street are ferodo DS2500, while for track i switch to CSG C1.
Metallurgy can vary massively between different brake disc manufacturers, even if they appear to be cosmetically the same.

Further reading... Rotor Metallurgy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting. When I bought my car last December I knew it'd need new brakes soon. I ended buying Brembo front and back pads, Brembo front disks and Pagid rear disks, all from EuroCarParts.

as I've hardly driven it, I haven't fitted them yet, but like the OP, saw it as a great deal for brakes all round, considering I only use it for normal driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed original break pads when they started to make the horrendous noise after a few thousand miles. When I took them off they where still fine loads of pad left on them. Personally it think it's a scam really for those that dont know much about the car's
I got the Brembo break pads in Euro car parts and they feel a lot better and hold you well when your driving. I use my car for day to day driving also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. When I bought my car last December I knew it'd need new brakes soon. I ended buying Brembo front and back pads, Brembo front disks and Pagid rear disks, all from EuroCarParts.

as I've hardly driven it, I haven't fitted them yet, but like the OP, saw it as a great deal for brakes all round, considering I only use it for normal driving.
Hi mate, would you mind confirming what size brembo pads you bought, as I'm a little confused by the different sizes on offer.
I was going to buy:
  • Brembo Front Brake Pad (Tokico) - P78021
  • Brembo Rear Brake Pad (NBK) - P78018
Do you know if this is correct for a UK 2013 GT86?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate, would you mind confirming what size brembo pads you bought, as I'm a little confused by the different sizes on offer.
I was going to buy:
  • Brembo Front Brake Pad (Tokico) - P78021
  • Brembo Rear Brake Pad (NBK) - P78018
Do you know if this is correct for a UK 2013 GT86?
These are the ones I used. the size are a perfect fit for the original brake pads. They are good. Just make sure when it's going into toyota for a service to mention you have them in just incase they change them.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are the ones I used. the size are a perfect fit for the original brake pads. They are good. Just make sure when it's going into toyota for a service to mention you have them in just incase they change them.
Perfect, thank you very much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd have to check my invoice for the exact sizes I purchased but iirc it was the bigger option of those on offer (ref disk diameter).

I really do need to get around to getting them fitted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts