GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GT86 Aero
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’ve got a low miles 2016 Aero and I’ve been noticing a lot of brake squeal at low speed, light braking.
I’ve had them apart, plenty of meat on the pads still obviously as it’s only done 16k so I put copper slip on all the mating faces and gave them a good clean but the noise has returned pretty fast.
I’ve read elsewhere that it’s a common issue with the 86 and only concrete way to eliminate it is aftermarket discs and pads?
Im currently looking at EBC ultimax discs and pads as it’s only £200 for discs and pads all round currently on tarmac sports!
Anyone had any experience with this issue or gripes with these ultimax replacement before I bite the bullet and buy em?
cheers in advance!
Rhys :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Couple of thoughts,

Before you spend too much money, have you tried replacing the fitting kit for the pads? The brass coloured part that the pads sit in easily get bent or out of shaped, according to Toyota replaced every time the pads are changed (not many of us do though).

Also how much spirited driving do you do with the car? pushing the pads to almost brake fade might build up a transfer layer which might help?

What brand of pads do you think the car has at the current time?

Ceramic grease may be better that copper grease, copper grease is now considered not appropriate for brake components (everyone has a view on this I appreciate) and can get thick and sticky.

·
Registered
2016 GT86 Aero
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of thoughts,

Before you spend too much money, have you tried replacing the fitting kit for the pads? The brass coloured part that the pads sit in easily get bent or out of shaped, according to Toyota replaced every time the pads are changed (not many of us do though).

Also have much spirited driving do you do with the car? pushing the pads to almost brake fade might build up a transfer layer which might help?

What brand of pads do you think the car has at the current time?

Ceramic grease may be better that copper grease, copper grease is now considered not appropriate for brake components (everyone has a view on this I appreciate) and can get thick and sticky.
Ive not looked at the fitting kits but might be worth a shot, they didn't seem in that bad of shape when I removed the pads however.

I do a fair bit of spirited driving and I live in the lakes so there's a lot of lane driving and sometimes sharper braking :oops: I've been trying to be more aggressive with my braking but it hasn't done much.

The pads on the car are just OEM I believe, I looked through the service records when I bought the car and there's no note of pads or brakes being changed.

Cheers for the advice I will have a look for some ceramic grease and fitting kits, saves me throwing away perfectly good pads and discs!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah understand, you're probably applying enough force and working them hard enough, lots of ppl change with different levels of success so not saying the fitting kit will work but its a cheap option.

I don't have any sound and didn't on my other 86 either, not sure why, perhaps its because I don't drive it daily and change them out a bit and apply fresh grease each time?

Something like this for grease, its a large tin so enough for the rest of your life :)

Granville ceramic grease

·
Registered
2016 GT86 Aero
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah understand, you're probably applying enough force and working them hard enough, lots of ppl change with different levels of success so not saying the fitting kit will work but its a cheap option.

I don't have any sound and didn't on my other 86 either, not sure why, perhaps its because I don't drive it daily and change them out a bit and apply fresh grease each time?

Something like this for grease, its a large tin so enough for the rest of your life :)

Granville ceramic grease
Good price as well! just about to make an amazon purchase for some high temp paints to do my callipers so perfect time to give them a good clean and apply this. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I can only echo what's been said.
Getting the brakes up to temp and laying some material on the discs, along with getting grease in the right places, has always worked well for me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts