GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the lengthy email but I’m at a complete loss as to how to resolve this issue.

Having fully refurbished my OEM calipers (including new pistons, guide pins etc) I went to install them along with new lines, discs and pads. PROBLEM: I cannot get the caliper over the pads on the front brakes.

I’ve double-checked all my part numbers for the new pads and discs, etc and the setup on the car looks fine. The new guide pins look to be the same length as the OEM.

There’s plenty of clearance when sliding the caliper over the pads/disc without the guide pins. With the guide pins installed there’s no way the caliper is going over. It’s as if the guide pins are preventing the caliper from moving outwards far enough to clear the outer pad.

The photo shows the setup. The only thing I can think of is that the guide pins are not sliding into the casing fully, but i’ve cleaned the casing out fully. There is a lip at the bottom of the casing preventing the pins from sliding in any further but this seems part of the casing, not corrosion or anything else. Same detail on the rears but they’ve gone in fine.

Any assistance or suggestions you could offer would be much appreciated.
9A888BAD-B990-4998-AB6A-3ABC97D718E5.jpeg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Seems obvs.

But have you put the correct pin in the correct hole?

Are the new guide pins the same as your old ones for length and diameter including the bush?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems obvs.

But have you put the correct pin in the correct hole?

Are the new guide pins the same as your old ones for length and diameter including the bush?
New guide pins are the same size as the originals. Also tried with the originals, same issue.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It doesn't look right, I guess its because you have the bolts in the end of the guide pins, because the guide pins don't have a bolt directly like that. Or am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So, this time it was wrong slider pins in wrong car-end's caliper.
But from other possible mistakes/issues - IIRC only one slider pin has "rubber damper", also - new pads are much thicker then if very worn ones, so while in some cases one can press in pistons some via eg. using old pad, it's worth considering purchasing caliper tool, that like vice eases/simplifies pressing pistons back. And to not have extra pressure countering that, worth taking off brake fluid reservoir cap. And after each one of wheels having new thicker pads, to recheck fluid level, to prevent possible overflow (removing with syringe excess fluid, if needed). Also not all brake lubricants are same, some are not rubber friendly and may increase chance of rubber "dampers" on slider pins to bind, in some cases resulting in brake drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts