GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never done a track day before in my own car but booked a full day session at Croft in 3 weeks for the GT86. Will probably take my original wheels and put them on for the day and maybe a couple of laps with my daily wheels to see what difference they make.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Congrats and you should really enjoy in a car like the GT86.

Make sure as a minimum you check your fluid levels and tyre pressures before the day and get to know the car and circuit before you let loose

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Croft is a great circuit, really fast and ballsy.

Think your car will be great fun round there. I would have said maybe try an easier track for your first day as I reckon it's a track for when you have more experience. But, that said, don't let it put you off, just remember to experiment where you have room to make mistakes.

Wear driving or racing shoes, it really helps with feel.

Also get some tuition too, that will help and perhaps a ride with more experienced drivers as most are quite happy to take passengers. All you have to do is ask. I've done trackdays since 2000 and worked for a certain well known trackday company for 3.5 years. I'd love to go back to Croft.

And don't forget to enjoy yourself!

G

·
I wasn't brave enough to start on track, I did a few a few airfield days to begin with.My local circuit is Castle Combe and it has almost no run-off and plenty of tyre walls.

As above, take advantage of the tuition on offer. Listen to them and do what they say. I've seen a few binned even after instruction; they thought they knew better than the experienced, trained drivers. One was a pretty much new, barely run-in Sagaris - without TD insurance. Must've cost him twenty or thirty grand to fix.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
insure itdo some instruction; you'll get more from the day
rest frequently
cool the car before returning to the pits ( never use the handbrake )

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.

Did my track day on Saturday at Croft in Darlington - and was really good. Decided on the Friday night to fully insure it for the track day (£250 !) but pleased I did, not that anything happened to it though. Unfortunately for some others we had 5 red flags in the morning session with 2 x rollovers and written off cars, 2 x cars hitting the barriers and going home early, plus a broken drive shaft on a Radical.

I decided to keep my 18" road wheels on as it stuck really well to the track with the Yokohama Parada tyres didn't want to start sliding. Lack of power was an issue although a few people who came along with me for a few laps were impressed how the 'standard' car handled as all others were modified.

I had the limiter set to 7200 revs and used most of these constantly but my instructor advised that he thought the car seemed to peak at a little over 6k revs so started changing more often a little lower.

After a few hot laps I noticed the brakes starting to fade so definitely need better pads or different brakes before I do it again.

For anyone interested, the exhaust noise from the car was measured at 83dba so qualifies for quiet track days which are cheaper and will have more road cars on the track. On Saturday most were trailered track and race cars so had to keep checking the rear view mirror.

In all, it was a good day (especially after a friend took me round in his 600bhp, 600lb/ft torque Nissan GTR).

Lots of people came to chat about the GT86 and even had 2 people say it was the best looking car there !

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
ICantAffordAnLFA said:
insure itdo some instruction; you'll get more from the day
rest frequently
cool the car before returning to the pits ( never use the handbrake )
Excellent advice.

In my usual (OCD) way, I used to to 2 x cooling down laps after a fast run too, with heater on full and windows down ... This gets the heat out of the engine bay...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
And drive within your limits

It is a good little track day car but I've fitted some PF pads, some HEL lines and a performance fluid which should make the brakes a bit more resilient.

Edited by: ICantAffordAnLFA

·
Registered
887 Posts
How do you bleed the brakes? Never had a car with abs before....... Is there a special procedure for the GT86?? (Feel free to direct me appropriately)
Otherwise good advice here and glad the OP enjoyed the day!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sideways? said:
How do you bleed the brakes? Never had a car with abs before....... Is there a special procedure for the GT86?? (Feel free to direct me appropriately)

The same way you bleed the brakes on any other car, no additional complication from having ABS.

The only issue comes if you have to drain the whole system down and then sometimes you can get stuck with air in the ABS actuators which won't come out. Some cars have a special test mode which actuates the pump to help in those situations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.