GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just graduated and I am starting work full time in a month and so have been looking at switching my car up. I have been looking at loads of gt86’s and I was wondering whether a 2012 would be worth buying? I want it to last many years so obviously going to be looking at low mileage but I was wondering what the main differences between 2012/2013 models and then the 2016+ model?
I definitely cannot afford to get the new GR so yeah lol.

I am planning on doing some very basic mods to it if that makes any difference. My general plan in my head is to lower it get some nice alloys and a small spoiler (unless I get a pro model then wouldn’t need this) and a vented bonnet.

Any advice would be appreciated as this will be my first car purchase I will be doing on my own

·
Registered
323 Posts
IMO the most significant difference between a 2012 and a 2017 car is the earlier one was subject to a valve spring recall (all cars upto May 2013 I believe).

This can actually be a useful advantage (unless looking at a car with very low mileage) as some of these cars will have replaced spark plugs and clutch due to Toyota not charging labour to swap.

If looking at a car that has had the recall work done, ideally you want to get one that has covered another couple of thousand miles post recall....

Other than that, changes covered below. Unless you absolutely must have a 4 inch dashboard TFT and steering wheel buttons IMO just go for whatever you prefer the look of.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So I just graduated and I am starting work full time in a month and so have been looking at switching my car up. I have been looking at loads of gt86’s and I was wondering whether a 2012 would be worth buying? I want it to last many years so obviously going to be looking at low mileage but I was wondering what the main differences between 2012/2013 models and then the 2016+ model?
I definitely cannot afford to get the new GR so yeah lol.

I am planning on doing some very basic mods to it if that makes any difference. My general plan in my head is to lower it get some nice alloys and a small spoiler (unless I get a pro model then wouldn’t need this) and a vented bonnet.

Any advice would be appreciated as this will be my first car purchase I will be doing on my own
Like said above, if you have had the valve spring recall done, there are no big bills coming soon. Just need to ensure the car has had a few thousand miles on it to ensure the work has been done correctly.
Also a 2015 onwards model has a few minor changes like shark fin antennae etc and no recall, so is a potential option. I will say dont spend money on a vented bonnet because the only option known to me is Seibon which make carbon fibre ones and are quite pricey and unless you paint match it to original car, does not look very good. Its utility is when you have a turbo fitted and need that extra air to reduce under bonnet temps.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Track mode on the Facelift cars was a significant improvement; does not intervene too early. Spare space saver wheel in the boot of the newer model.

Otherwise, it's a question of which looks make you feel happier each time you return to the car (both make you happier in absolute terms!), and which instrument cluster. Beyond that, whichever one you get, I'd recommend the leather-trimmed Alcantara seats; I'd have been happy with the cloth seats I'd tried before, but the Alcantaras have turned out to be a useful upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts