GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a suitable make/model of these, please?

Looking at the 'customer reviews' on Amazon, I have the distinct impression that many if not most for some apparently well-reviewed examples have all been written by the vendor (same poor English in each!); presumably, the Chinese can well afford to employ someone to sit down for a day writing 80 happy reviews and buy 80 of their own products to get the 'verified purchase' status. :plain:

I assume that whichever one I buy, it won't hold its charge indefinitely, and will require occasional topping up?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I bought a Sealey SL655 jump starter power pack 400A from Amazon back in April 2018. Used it a number of times to start the car when the battery would not turn over the engine and it has proven up to the task. The instructions say charge it every month and I did start doing this but it always read 100% full, so I now do it every 3 months. Even after a jump start it still reads 100%.

Reactions: Tony H

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arteck-Ext...ocphy=9045572&hvtargid=pla-784376509915&psc=1

I have used it 2-3 times to start the 86 when the battery has gone flat after not being driven for a few days and it has started fine. I rarely charge it up and I think they say it can do something like 20 starts on a charge.
I keep it in the boot and would definitely recommend something like this. You can also charge a phone up too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CTEK is the gold standard in trickle chargers. I have two (one in each garage) and the first thing I do with any new car is to fit a CTEK comfort connector so that I can just plug the charger in when I won't be using the car for a while. Most of the manufacturers' chargers (e.g. Porsche) are re-badged CTEKs.

I've also got a cheapo cheapo Absaar booster charger (bought in a supermarket in France as a distress purchase) and much to my surprise it works really well - it has started my GT86 and a friend's Subaru Forester when they had flat batteries.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a cheap one from Halfords. Its started mine on cold mornings when my battery was almost dead, I did this for a couple of weeks before i got round to replacing the battery on Saturday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought the Imazing IM25 Lithium ion Jump Starter from Amazon. Says it does up to 1000A/7.5L cars but not tried lol.

Not much bigger than many of the portable battery packs people use to recharge their phones/tablets which I have used it for on a long trip.

Worked really well (engine fired up on first crank revolution) the couple of times I have used it and worth the £45 I paid as it had a 20% off lightening deal applicable at the time I purchased it. Its currently £56 but it is showing I can apply a 5% discount voucher to bring it down a bit.

I have a ctek 5.0 at home for the poor old Celica that isn't getting much attention at the moment lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
CTEK is the gold standard in trickle chargers. .
mine had the famed start button failure, so far from gold std in my book.
i've bought Optimates since, more lights to watch and be concerned about!

Side note: i now put all my tenders on a timer rather than run 24/7. i have no proof, but some mechanics do talk of these things 'going rogue'. 3 hours a day is enough anyway and resets everything if on timer.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Running a chinese battery monitor but I keep getting caught out when the phone app restarts due to updates and it no longer tracks. The ctek5 does what it says on the tin according to my monitor but could do with a jump pack for the times I do forget rather than having to leave it going for a few hours before I can use the car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the responses - 100% positive for the jump packs, which eases my anxiety that I might get a dud. With a 3-year old 48Ah battery, I'll certainly buy a pack before I park at Gatwick.

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GLWSZK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Started my car now 4 times on the bouce and still reading 80%, only charged once and having no issues. But upgraded the batter to 70 amp and now got no issues.
Wow, with that spec, I imagine it could start two 86s at once!

Toyota have now kindly upgraded me to a 65Ah battery, so hopefully I won't need the jump-starter that I finally bought. I won't give details of the starter here, as I can neither praise nor condemn it, but it's probably a good thing to have in the boot anyway. The makers do recommend that you top up its charge every three months, and I guess that ideally you'd do that with any such device, although given that mine (and certainly yours Mayhems!) is over-spec, I could probably get away with 1-3 times a year without issues; maybe just doing it before each major journey would suffice...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm using the Sealey Batteryless one. 400 Amps. It's pure solid state, no batteries hence it lasts forever and there's no fear of them overheating, expanding etc.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm using the Sealey Batteryless one. 400 Amps. It's pure solid state, no batteries hence it lasts forever and there's no fear of them overheating, expanding etc.
That sounds pretty cool! I'm guessing it runs on some sort of capacitor?

Edit: Sealey call it an "Ultra Capacitor"

·
Registered
240 Posts
That sounds pretty cool! I'm guessing it runs on some sort of capacitor?

Edit: Sealey call it an "Ultra Capacitor"
yes :)

They work like a camera flashlight. As long as your car battery can still output > 4.0 volts it will slowly energise the capacitors. This can take anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. The system then dumps all the energy out when you start your car.

If your battery has less than 4.0 v, the unit can be energised using a micro USB port via a powerbank etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts