GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recently come back to a Toyota after a little spell with BMWs.
Before I start with the mods on the GT86, I thought I’d include some old photos of my previous Toys 😁
Mk3 Supra 3.0 turbo
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

My first MR2 N/A
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Mk7 Celica
Wheel Water Tire Cloud Sky

Mk2 Rev2 MR2 turbo (rev 3 engine)
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Now on to the GT86 which I picked up on Thursday. So before the modifications start, and they’ll be tame to start with 😉… had to right a few wrongs that the well intentioned dealers did. Oil is the wrong grade in the car, it’s 5w40 according to dealer. So got some 0w20 on order. Tyre pressure when I got the car home was 65psi all round 😂😂😂 and the usual dealers ‘paint sealer’ has been applied on top of dirt.

never the less, cracking car! Slow compared to what I’ve just sold, but so much fun!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Time to take care of a few jobs:

•oil service
•fresh coolant
•full engine bay clean up
•replace terrible oem speakers 😂
•air filter and pollen filter
•arm rest install
•try and tame down some of the red interior!

I also have a set of VLAND lights coming next week.

will get all this sorted and then start enjoying the car as it is before I start thinking of more to do 😁

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice previous cars but I'm still getting over 65 psi 😳😳 That must have felt terrible!!!
I checked the pressure when I got home from picking it up, thought my gauge was playing up, so took it to get petrol and checked it on the petrol station compressor… I’m thinking maybe the apprentice prepped the car? 😂

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil and tyre pressures wrong - like when I bought my Aygo last year. After many years of private or "trade" sales the Aygo was my first "premium used" purchase and what a disappointment. The car itself looked superb, but the "dealer prep" provided tyre pressures 6psi underinflated and oil approx. half a litre overfillled. Absolutely pathetic they seem to get the basics wrong so often !
Makes you wonder doesn’t it!

I think normally it’s a case of just chuck the fluids in as fast as possible, no checking… get it out the door etc etc. as long as any TPMS alarms don’t go off, get it out the door!

if it’s not ex lease vehicles to watch out for its that 😂

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Todays discovery with the car was 2 lovely swimming pools in the boot of the car, one each side. I’m guessing this is the good old tail light gasket issue?

Also, had a go at improving the sound, installed some focal speakers in the dash and door. Slightly better, still poor with the oem head unit 😂 might look into the 6x9 retrofit in the rear side panels.

Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yeah, that is more surprising if the gasket hasn't failed honestly! There's a great place that makes brand new gaskets. Let me try and find them for you, well worth replacing to stop the issue from happening again.

Gasket Ninja - Tail light gaskets for 2013-2020 FR-S, BRZ, and GT86 - If you can wait these guys are worth it. I took the opportunity to buy some new brake lights completely from Fensport, didn't have to wait as long :LOL:
Thanks! I think I’ll get some ordered up! Got new lights coming this week and don’t like taking chances with stuff like that 😂

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the family and hope you enjoy the car with miles of smiles.

So a few things,
1. The tyre pressures were crazy because that's what is advised for storage of cars to not get flat spots, so when i SORN the car during winters, that's what i did to ensure tyres don't get flat spots.
2. Water in boot is more likely a case of the car going to a car wash and the cleaners going round the edges of the boot, it can leak water especially if water is hit at high pressure. It has happened to me. It also can happen around the driver and passenger side glass, so be careful when using a pressure washer there too. Dry the boot up and see how you get on next.

The gasket failure should fill the tailights with moisture not the boot itself.
I did not know that! But then I’ve never put a car into storage, guessing they just forgot to put the pressure back down though! Made for some interesting roundabouts in the rain 😂

Now that you mention, I did take it to be washed the day after I got it. There was a little trail of dirt and wet on the boot lining just below where the tail light is, but I guess that could just be a fluke. Either way, lining is all out and being cleaned and we’ll see how the car fairs with the rain we’re getting at the moment. Fingers crossed it is just the power washing as you said, and not something major 😊

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, did some investigating today, it’s the lights letting the water into the boot. 100%. Top of the light that meets where the boot lid seem is. Both sides, no history of accidents and everything looks fine with the back of the car.
There’s probably a good 2mm where the rubber on the top of the light cluster doesn’t meet the body 😵
Circled in blue on the photo, so is this the infamous gasket problem?
Plant Hood Petal Red Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will have a play about with it today… stripped the boot liner out and been driving with the seats down. Can see it comes in here by the connector to the tail light…
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Headlamp

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had more of a look today... its missing a gasket on 1 side :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have already ordered Gasket Ninja replacements, but i have VLANDs turning up tomorrow as well, which i believe have a gasket with them? either way, i expect no more leaks soon!

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, tail lights, engine bay clean up and a few other small jobs done. Unfortunately got a wheel bearing away and a seized caliper. So updates will be sporadic for the time being, as it goes back to the dealers to get some warranty work.

Found out, even though it’s 2014, it’s had the valve spring recall literally a couple months before I bought it. So should I be cautious with it for a few hundred miles or so?

·
Registered
2014 GT86
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it was me I would put 500 miles on it and then drop the sump to inspect the oil pickup, just on the off chance they're still using too much RTV when doing the valve job. Because I'm a bit anal I'd probably do the same again after another 3000 miles/next oil change.
I think I will have a look soon enough. Changed the oil the minute I got the car home. So I’m nearly 500 miles of use since I got it. Have heard the oil pickup is maybe worth changing out for the killer b one as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts