GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I sold my Giallo around 3 years due to needing a bigger car and missed the little bugger ever since.

finally able to downsize again and have secured myself a 2018 Pro which I collect Tuesday - very excited to get back behind the wheel!

Back when I had my Giallo, I had a non res Tuning developments exhaust on it and loved it. Back then it was mainly a choice between tuning developments, milltek and cobra.

is this still the case or are there now other decent exhausts on the market to consider?

many thanks in advance 馃槉

Registered
Welcome back.
TD and Milltek have reliability issues aka cracking and off late TD have a lot of negative feedback.
If you want to go for quality exhausts with decent sound then 2 main alternatives exist - HKS exhausts from Japan (Legamax or Spec L) and Invidia from OZ , their Q300 being the quietest OEM+, R400 being a bit loud and N1/N2 being crazy loud. These 2 are the brands i will suggest you go for and pick the loudness as per your choice.

Registered
Stick with TD, I鈥檝e had mine for a number of years and zero issues. Never heard of them ever cracking etc. Just call Mike and get yourself booked in and you will have no trouble at all.

Registered
Welcome back!

I鈥檝e gone for the HKS Legamax cat-back. Beautifully put together and sounds lovely with the stock headers (more of an aggressive stock type of rumble) took forever to arrive but well worth the wait.

I think I鈥檓 going to go HKS manifold UEL next, but still not sure if I can justify the extra mular for FI.

Registered
Stick with TD, I鈥檝e had mine for a number of years and zero issues. Never heard of them ever cracking etc. Just call Mike and get yourself booked in and you will have no trouble at all.
I think you need to update your knowledge. TD are cheap for a reason

Read this post on the other forum and please don't say your product working is a great example of fantastic quality at a bottom bargain price. Statistics needs a lot bigger sample size.

The ones i've mentioned are big global brands with their quality and reputation behind to stand in case of the rare reasons necessitating a warranty claim.

Registered
I think you need to update your knowledge. TD are cheap for a reason

Read this post on the other forum and please don't say your product working is a great example of fantastic quality at a bottom bargain price. Statistics needs a lot bigger sample size.

The ones i've mentioned are big global brands with their quality and reputation behind to stand in case of the rare reasons necessitating a warranty claim.
So you have ONE bad post regarding TD, can you find any others?

Anyone can find bad reviews if they look hard enough -

I could go on and on, but does that mean these are 鈥榖ad鈥 exhausts? Of course not, but you are basing ONE bad review and saying that this means TD exhausts are all bad. Maybe have a look on this and other GT86 forums and see just how many happy customers TD has before you go off on one.

I have used TD many many times and have always been happy with them, and their exhaust, like many others who have it, has been faultless. That鈥檚 not just me saying it, go and do your research.

What鈥檚 even more funny is that you had a TD exhaust on your own car, that you were selling.

And in your own words, it was on your car for 18 months and it 鈥榳orks perfectly鈥. So that鈥檚 strange?

Registered
So you have ONE bad post regarding TD, can you find any others?

Anyone can find bad reviews if they look hard enough -

I could go on and on, but does that mean these are 鈥榖ad鈥 exhausts? Of course not, but you are basing ONE bad review and saying that this means TD exhausts are all bad. Maybe have a look on this and other GT86 forums and see just how many happy customers TD has before you go off on one.

I have used TD many many times and have always been happy with them, and their exhaust, like many others who have it, has been faultless. That鈥檚 not just me saying it, go and do your research.

What鈥檚 even more funny is that you had a TD exhaust on your own car, that you were selling.

And in your own words, it was on your car for 18 months and it 鈥榳orks perfectly鈥. So that鈥檚 strange?
I think you did not read that thread (its not a single post). Is that one user, No? it is a large number of regular forum users who have had various harrowing experiences with TD. And its not just the exhaust, its from Turbo to other parts to accidents of the customer cars while in their custody, which is unacceptable... So, please read it fully before you answer further! TD has lost its reputation and customer service. Their products have been cheap copies of FA20 Club manifold and JP exhausts. Any doubts about that? The forum had become an echo chamber for TD because their products were CHEAP. How many recent reviews of amazing TD, fantastic service Mike can you show me in the last 6 mths , being the search expert that you are? Show me data, if you so wish.

Any faults need to be catered to and your old brand reputation does not hold water as things have changed, and so have TD and this is the latest. Lost interest in the FA20 platform, may be as there are no further volumes? And your hard search hasn't shown one Invidia crack on the FA20 platform? or HKS for that matter which is the product the OP is after.

I sold my TD manifold, yes. Worked perfectly then yes. Did i trust its engineering, No. Too much heat into the engine bay with their design. Does that not tell you something if a customer sells their most spoken off NA package in 18 mths and it's not a distress sale or part out?

After i learnt how to tune and bought the ECUTEK tuning dongle and kit, i realised that TD had to do 9 tunes to dial in my NA package. For a product that they have done 100's of times if not thousands, you need 9 iterations of a tune, on the dyno? Definitely not more than 3 to 5 needed even for a relatively inexperienced tuner.

Every product has faults , yes but how they are fixed/handled by the manufacturer speaks volumes about them. Don't make TD look like they are a global brand with amazing QC. They weren't and aren't and off late there is only one thing happening, aka going downhill and we need to be honest in giving views.

Any more trains of thought are welcome!

I'll let the OP decide, if history is a good predictor of future and if they want to plonk their hard earned cash on TD. Its not my money but my view is what it is based on what i've shared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts