GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a GT86/BRZ as a second/fun car for the weekend or a summer's evening drive.

My current daily is a Toyota CH-R Hybrid/CVT which does the daily role perfectly.

My question then is what are peoples thoughts about the auto both dynamically and in terms of reliability?

Thanks

David
p.s. to add I'm not looking to track day it just an A/B road blast.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Well my arguments in favour of automatic are
  • traffic jams are so much easier with them
  • in a spirited drive you can forget about the gears and focus more on getting the rest right.
in favour of manual:
  • you're in control and you get to do things yourself. There is quite a lot of skill involved if you are interested in that.
  • it's cooler and it looks more like you know stuff

I am not sure if the issue matters much for mpg, that is mostly a matter of where and how you drive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a second fun car. Go manual imo.

I've had 3 GT86's... 1 manual and 2 autos. Driven the manual for around 18k miles and the two autos for around 30k combined.

The autos are brilliant in sport mode, really fun to drive. But about 5-10% less engaging than the manual when you're on a nice country B road. The manual isn't perfect, the 1st to 2nd shift is clunky when the car is cold, and these cars do take a bit of time to warm up.

People harp on about how autos aren't fun, but personally I never found that at all. The reason I had auto was because I city drive and the manuals are truly appalling in city traffic. But, you whack it in manual mode and use the paddles and rev the engine and it's just as fun as the manual. Plus the comfort of when you do hit the inevitable traffic, you don't hate the gear box and clutch...

That said, if it was my second car... I'd probably get a manual. But only you can decide :)

·
Registered
Red 20 plate GT86. Grey 06 S2000.
21 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference but, having driven lots of both over the years I would say that a normally aspirated petrol engined car is far better manual than auto for 'spirited' driving. On a turbo or a diesel, because the power delivery is far more linear, a good auto will work well but on a NA petrol car where the torque is generally much more concentrated within a rev range, then a manual is a must. Paddle shift would sound like the best of both worlds but, having had a couple, I tend not to use them and just end up driving in a more relaxed manner because that's what autos are really good at.

I had a Cayman 981S in PDK auto and it ruined the car compared to a manual Boxster which preceded it. I followed that with a PDK 911 which was a turbo and the gearbox worked wonders with that engine - fastest thing I've ever driven, but I prefer the engagement and sheer fun of the manual GT86. I have a Merc C class auto which I drive like a granny because it just feels right to drive it like you're on a freeway somewhere and a manual S2000 which I'll probably kill myself in one day.

For this type of car I personally would always choose a manual, but only because I drive it like a nutter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking at a GT86/BRZ as a second/fun car for the weekend or a summer's evening drive.

My current daily is a Toyota CH-R Hybrid/CVT which does the daily role perfectly.

My question then is what are peoples thoughts about the auto both dynamically and in terms of reliability?

Thanks

David
p.s. to add I'm not looking to track day it just an A/B road blast.
Automatic for me - brilliant - put it in sports mode; as someone who has owned 32 cars, (some very fast), its possibly the best drive I've had. you CAN control an automatic gearbox if you want to.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I guess you need to try both in as similar circs to your likely use as possible. I went for the manual because it gives me more satisfaction when actively driving, which I enjoy doing every trip in the 86, even in traffic; in a 'cooking' car like a Corolla it wouldn't matter so much, I guess. I did try a manual and a PDK Cayman back to back, and despite starting out thinking I'd prefer the PDK, ended up plumping for the manual because it was such a nice box to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts