GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 Stars! It beat the Megane, Scirocco, 350Z and RCZ to the top stop for AutoCARs road test TOP FIVE!

Scans of the article can be found here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10629

The article came fro mthe german car forums so not sure if the magazine is out yet.. I can seem to find it anywhere....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very good review and very fair too. Totally how I felt after test drivig the car. For me all they need to sort out is the mid range dip in the torque the car. Hopefully this could be done with re-mapping, ecu replacement or new cams?

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The torque dip doesnt bother me.

I would think its intentional for motor way cruising fuel economy.

So I think the only time you might miss the 10% dip in torque could be if your trying to overtake on the motorway in 6th. Personally I would just drop it a gear a rag it

If you compare the torque curve of a Civic Type R you'll find its lower in torque at lower revs....

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonnykool said:
Very good review and very fair too. Totally how I felt after test drivig the car. For me all they need to sort out is the mid range dip in the torque the car. Hopefully this could be done with re-mapping, ecu replacement or new cams?
I would think an ECU woudl fix it.

On the ft86 club a few tuners have been posting dyno results.

Perrin was getting +7 wheel HP with a cat back exhaust! another 4 WHP with an intake without any MAF trickery...

So it looks like oyu can get +13BHP without an ECU tune. 220BHP with an ECU tune would be wonderful. That would likely get it up to Golf GTI speed (if not more) in a straight line...

·
Registered
278 Posts
LOL
the world does't revolve around max straight line speed, otherwise we'd all be driving Bugatti Verons.

Sometimes you just have go chill out and recognise that Joe Bloggs in his Ford or RenaultSport is faster in a straight line. But and here is the but, know that your car is a unique design and not based either very greatly or partly on a bog standard family car.

It's all about recognising the uniqueness of the car and enjoying it for what it is. Not trying to get the fastest down a stretch of public road from a traffic light.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hi guys
I agree with speedymurr as car has been designed to go and look like it does and is not a family car trying to be something it is not so if you want something a bit special then get a GT86 and remember that GT stands for Grand Tourer and not speed freak and is a car that will make you smile when driving it

·
Registered
283 Posts
Speedymurr said:
It's all about recognising the uniqueness of the car and enjoying it for what it is. Not trying to get the fastest down a stretch of public road from a traffic light.
Yes, I agree with that wholeheartedly, but there'll always be those who love to tinker and seek to improve on a car, however good it is to start with.
Each to their own I guess

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree too with you guys. But at the same time the car has been designed with tuners in mind, hence the stripped down version coming.

I for one won't be doing anything to mine for a while (if at all) but will be interested to see what power upgrades can be achieved...

Especially if a new exhaust and intake, tune will add 20bhp.
And some cosmetic upgrades :)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
What we all need to remember is we all live the car as it is and as such give it a chance to impress us for while before any changes are made as the saying goes... Don't fix that what is not broken ...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Exactly. It's the equivalent if saying 'I don't agree with the design experts at Toyota and Suburu. I know better'.

All without giving the car a few months before we as individuals decide whether yo change anything.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think anyone is suggesting modding the car as soon as they get it.

I'm coming from a 101BHP Suzuki swift so its gonig to amazing in every aspect to me!

Im so damn excited to drive one. My dealer is expecting a car in the next week.....

Such a shame our orders are delayed to much

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its the issue dated 4th July 2012 and yeah your local dealer should have copies of the review which they are giving to customers which is just the review part.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one I got from my dealer is a full copy of Autocar. They used to give out one that had "Toyotas 26k Porsche" but this is a uk road test.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh thats interesting that differnet dealers are issuing different mags. My dealer has a big pile of what looks like specially printed mags which have autocar cover but only contain the review which is printed in the full Autocar mag. Unfortunately I bought the full mag before I knew the dealer had them lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts