GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the GT86 really have the DNA of the AE86 inside, or is it just marketing hype? That's what Autocar are asking.

[TUBE]0tMyP9od8JM&feature=g-u-u[/TUBE]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lauren said:
Does the GT86 really have the DNA of the AE86 inside, or is it just marketing hype? That's what Autocar are asking.

[TUBE]0tMyP9od8JM&feature=g-u-u[/TUBE]
Thanks for posting that Lauren - it's very informative.
I drove a friend's AE86 a couple of times fifteen or so years ago and loved it, but I guess you're one of the few lucky people on here to be able to confirm with authority what the reviewer's saying about the similarity of the old and new.
The prospect of a reliable, up-to-date AE86 clone is really irresistable!

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome, guys. I certainly can say in respect of the pretty good test drive I had that it does have that real 'fun' component of making you giggle like the AE86 does. It's just so involving and as a keen driver this is the most crucial aspect.I think for me, the new car ticks all the boxes. It's fun like the old, but it's more refined and a more practical proposition as an every day car.

I'm a total Toyota/JDM car culture nut, so for me, the GT86 feels like Toyota have just made the perfect car for me and it has lineage of my beloved AE86 as it's spiritual successor.

Now, all I need to do is find the money to buy the TRD when it comes out!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Lauren said:

I'm amazed anyone would consider spending so much additional money on a bunch of overpriced tut. £9k for a big brake conversion?! Crazy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Lauren said:

I'm amazed anyone would consider spending so much additional money on a bunch of overpriced tut. £9k for a big brake conversion?! Crazy.

Inclined to agree with you. £9K for big brakes - if true - is absurd. By all accounts the standard items hold well on track anyway.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
DavidGT86 said:
Inclined to agree with you. £9K for big brakes - if true - is absurd. By all accounts the standard items hold well on track anyway.

Well it's £8.3k from Fensport. The TRD car is estimated to cost £40k and for the additional 15k you get a bodykit, wheels, big brakes, suspension and an exhaust. I'd rather spend half of that on buying equivalent or better performance items from brands like AP and Koni and then put the rest towards big power.. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
gt_sjo said:
DavidGT86 said:

Well it's £8.3k from Fensport. The TRD car is estimated to cost £40k and for the additional 15k you get a bodykit, wheels, big brakes, suspension and an exhaust. I'd rather spend half of that on buying equivalent or better performance items from brands like AP and Koni and then put the rest towards big power.. :)

Us Essex boys better stick together then!

£40K for 210hp really is too much. It gets into different territory at that pricing.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price for a TRD is £32K. So it's not £40K. It comes with leather.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Targ86 said:
The GT86 is not a clone of the old Toyota. It's a new car.

Nobody said it was a clone. It is however the spiritual successor of the AE86 which is, (if you know your stuff) something to be quite proud of, I think.

It's a new car, yes I agree.

G

·
Meh.I see no similarity or association with a dull 80s boxy Jap saloon or coupe.
So far as I can see, the drift cars have non-standard engines, LSDs, lightened, etc.
Many cars as disparate as BMW 3-series and TVRs of the 80/90s are/were more iconic and better drives.

I've ordered the 86 because it's pretty and is a radical change from my recent TVRs, Bimmers and Jap coupes, not for some questionable heritage/hype.

I'm not knocking those who 'get' or perceive an association - I have no doubt you/they genuinely believe it. I just don't see it or feel the need for it.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gt_sjo said:
Lauren said:

Where does it state that price?

It's what my dealer said.

They could be wrong I guess, but really I was hoping it would be closer to £30K.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lordgrover said:
Meh.I see no similarity or association with a dull 80s boxy Jap saloon or coupe.
So far as I can see, the drift cars have non-standard engines, LSDs, lightened, etc.
Many cars as disparate as BMW 3-series and TVRs of the 80/90s are/were more iconic and better drives.

I've ordered the 86 because it's pretty and is a radical change from my recent TVRs, Bimmers and Jap coupes, not for some questionable heritage/hype.

I'm not knocking those who 'get' or perceive an association - I have no doubt you/they genuinely believe it. I just don't see it or feel the need for it.

LOL!

See your avatar, the one that has '86' in it. Where do you think it comes from?

It's not a dull boxy jap saloon/coupe at all.

All I can conclude is that you don't know what you are talking about. What have drift cars got to do with it? You do know the AE86 one the BTCC twice in the 80's and it was also very successful in rallying too.

The heritage is not questionable. Do your homework and research before you start talking about a 'perceived' association. The association came directly from Toyota themselves. It's a very important association.

The Japanese treat the AE86 like royalty. It has a lot of respect. If you don't get it, that's up to you, but at least have the respect to acknowledge that your car was designed in the spirit of an absolute legend.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lauren said:
Most press write ups on the TRD GT86 state £40k for 210hp.
Even £32K is big money for a bodykit, leather, exhaust and a few cosmetics, not to mention the extra weight a bodykit would bring.

Each to their own I guess. For me the extra money makes it bad value. Its not like it will be re-built like the Mugen Civics. And if it's £40k...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.