GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in in the process of ordering my very own GT, i just cant figure out to go for the manual or the auto. I do long stretches of highway, and would therefore love the auto box, but not sure how it runs, since none here in sweden have demos with the auto box. Specifically im after if its fast enough with the changes, and still retains the dynamic feel of a small sportscar. SO, anyone tried the auto? or maybe even bought it, and have some daily experiences to relate?

/Mikael

G

·
I'd expect an auto to suit stop-start city traffic when you'd be forever riding the clutch in a manual. If you're typically on motorways and A & B roads then I'd stick to MT.I'm biased though so you can happily disregard my opinion.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,867 Posts
MikaelSE said:
As in in the process of ordering my very own GT, i just cant figure out to go for the manual or the auto. I do long stretches of highway, and would therefore love the auto box, but not sure how it runs, since none here in sweden have demos with the auto box. Specifically im after if its fast enough with the changes, and still retains the dynamic feel of a small sportscar. SO, anyone tried the auto? or maybe even bought it, and have some daily experiences to relate?

/Mikael
Hi and välkommen,

There are a couple of guy on here the have ordered an Auto. Namely en8wall.

Quite a few ahve driven an auto demo car as well so expect many a responses very soon

njuta!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
lordgrover said:
I'd expect an auto to suit stop-start city traffic when you'd be forever riding the clutch in a manual. If you're typically on motorways and A & B roads then I'd stick to MT.I'm biased though so you can happily disregard my opinion.

I agree with lordgrover, if your doing long stretches of Highway then you won't really be changing gears that much so manuals will be fine, I've gone for a manual and at times in current manual car, I could be doing long stretches with no problems, hopefully traffic won't be too bad either in the GT-86 as the clutch is pretty light.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My preference, from a sportscar view, would also be the manual, but from what i hear the autobox is pretty nifty too, fast, auto daps the throtlle on downshifts etc. And i have to admit, im getting older, hehe, and lazier, and if the auto "works" it might be an option for me, as i could use the steering pedals for small fast b-roads, of which i have tons in the area. But if its too slow and old fashion in the changing mechanism, i would hate it too fast. So would really love to hear from some who gets the GT with auto, see what u think about it in daily runs.

I mostly do highways, not so much city traffic, so the stop/start aspect of the auto isnt that important, mostly the comfort for long stretches, and the steering wheel shift option for fun.

And takkar, happy to be here... figured i would be about the only non-UK resident in here, hehe

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi. Know what you mean. I test drove both last week and ordered the auto. Paddle shift is great and when you are fully automatic still 3 modes: snow, normal and sport. But then maybe I'm getting old and lazy too

·
Registered
137 Posts
I might be wrong but I think you can dab the gearstick as well on the auto if on sport mode. Quick flick to the right and up or down??

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can, yes. Knocks the gears up and down same as the paddles....

G

·
I've had the 'tiptronic' stylee auto boxes on honda preludes and bimmers - no substitute for manual boxes. Not even close. SMG on M3 however different thing altogether. Way quicker and auto blip to boot, but I still prefer manual for my 'commute' and style.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
As other's have said, if you are doing long trips a manual is fine. I suppose the only advantage with the auto is it's intergalactic gearing, so revs will be lower when cruising. This will give you better economy too.

The downsides are that it loses out on acceleration compared to the manual, you simply don't have the control and it's less involving when you are pressing on. It also costs more.

·
Registered
887 Posts
And I don't know if anyone else found this with the auto, but it always blips on downshifts so when you drive it around town using the paddles you look like a wally...
Also I found the shifts quite surprisingly lumpy, even in full auto mode.......
I also found the brakes difficult to modulate around town...

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about but I love love love my manual and would totally recommend it to anyone!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've just completed a long trip whilst runningin my manual and for the long motorway stretches I found the cruise control to be an excellent system with enough flexibility to get me out of potentially tricky situations. I'd go for the manual every time.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My thoughts on MT and AT having tested them both today. I can only comment on use on normal uk roads and not track use. I have never been on a track.

MT is superb, short and satisfying shifts. Good close ratios plenty of fun on twisty roads. At motorway cruising speeds hovers around 3500 rpm. I liked the MT very much and you won't have regrets with it.
AT is tail of 2 beasts. Normal drive mode is fine if you drive very sensibly(baby or granny on board) then It does the job fine. A spirited drive sees kick downs and quick changes, but not overly impressed. It was shifting unintuitively for me, bit slow compared to MT to get the best out of the car. Put it into sport mode and it holds higher revs for longer, better but not the same control I felt with the MT. At this point I am thinking I want to like the AT but its not as good as MT for sure. However shift it to M and use paddles, and you have something else. Full control of changes, quick shifts, when I wanted it to, got onto a twisty welsh road and boy was it fun. Never tried a paddle shift before, this was my first experience and appreciated the novelty value, but only interested in how it made the driving xperience. I could drive and turn and paddle shift in harmony, Enjoying the drive, the road and avoiding sheep, yes there was one on the road. of course you can get this experience that with MT, but I wanted it in the AT.
Go down a gear and it blips the throttle, agree it is not necessary in town, and when i had it on paddles, i had stares in town due to the revs. But leave it on D in town and no blips.

I spend a lot of time on motorways commutes and rpm is lower at just over 2000rpm. Fuel economy and lower emissions not a factor, lower revs will mean shifting down a gear probably 2 to overtake, but I like a quieter cruise. I will leave it in D when the baby is in the car or when I just want to cruise home on the motorway. Paddles when on my own and a nice twisty road.

I would have gone for the MT if the paddles were rubbish or not fun. I guess it all depends what you intend to use the car for and what you think is fun.
Went for red, auto, leather red, nav and jbl. stock sound system is ok, but having a bose system now , it was too much of a step down. Was told delivery in second half of september. Now the wait begins.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, choice is made... my new orange metallic MT baby is gestating now.... should be delievered late october,/start november... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts