GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've still not ordered the GT86.
Test driven - loved it - not sure the bank manager is going to love it quite as much as me...

I tend to keep my vehicles for a very long time.
(eg I've had my FireBlade for 15 years, I kept my Spitfire for 9)..
Should I end up ordering one of these I intend to keep it for a long time too.

FM radio is due to be switched off in UK from 2017 - 2022.
Many manufacturers offer DAB radios in their cars already (eg VW).
The Toyota audio is NOT DAB - this is one of the few niggles I have about ordering this car.

I don't suppose there is any way to convert the audio unit to dab without ripping it out and putting in a replacement?

When will Toyota start offering dab as standard?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave said:
and will be purchasing an aftermarket DAB adapter :)
I'd prefer to have as few aftermarket gadgets as possible cluttering up the cosy cabin....

Surely Toyota should have integrated dab in their cars by now?

Or are they intending that their cars are obsolete in 5 years?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think it's still not a decent set up as it requires a stick on aerial to be applied to the inside of the windscreen (which is no better than the after market one I put in my Celica).

Anybody know for sure?

Alec

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
keelerad said:
I think it's still not a decent set up as it requires a stick on aerial to be applied to the inside of the windscreen (which is no better than the after market one I put in my Celica).

Anybody know for sure?

Alec
If it is just an aerial, there is no reason why you cannot wire it to the existing aerial's location.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It was a major question for us too (didn't order the sat nav in case the Touch got binned) but now it's not a problem.

I think the big issue is the low DAB take-up generally; the politiciunts made such an abortion of it (as they always do) so there islousy coverage,narrow available bandwidths thus little real choiceand dreadful data compression. So most just la-la-la inanely to whatever's being broadcast of Piss FMor Fartbeat...

In other words, you might as well listen to internet radio or even an MP3 player. Which is what we do and it's less dropouty than DAB round here.

And with data that compressed, why bother with the Gerbils? It's low-fi anyway.

In other words, you'll be fine with the boggo unit & a decent 'phone.

·
Registered
655 Posts
keelerad wrote:

Anybody know for sure?

Alec

^This.^

Stickies simply don't work round here. And look sh*t.

For the money they're demanding, they can damned well drop the headlining and install a proper powered 3-way in the roof.

The best reception I getis viaa DABconverter on the NSX's steel mast aeriel. But it looks like a bumper car when it's raised, so it's perhaps that's not surprising.
Edited by: Nick Graves

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That may be the situation today (high compression/low bandwidth/poor coverage) while FM is still broadcasting but by the time they switch off FM there will be more bandwidth available to digital and digital will be more widely available with louder transmitters.

I think Toyota should offer dab reception as standard on a £27k motor....to charge £200 odd for an ugly windscreen sticker is out of order.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I agree.

But the motor industry hasn't the infrastructure to not be 100 years out of date on ICE. Well, it's their excuse.

Even the Scirocco has only JUST switched to DAB units.

The windscreen sticky is a pisstake for the money. You can get all the proper gear online for that price.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nick Graves said:
I agree.
You can get all the proper gear online for that price.
Which should be integrated as standard.

I think I am going to defer my purchase at least until next year in the hope that this is resolved.

Besides not sure I want a new car just in time for winter!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I actually had the DAB installed at the dealer last week when I took it back in to get the steering alignment sorted. I really hate FM radio stations and wanted Planet Rock and Radio 5 Live Sport X. It was £349.99 which is pretty steep but considering I intend to keep the car long term I just swallowed it!

There is no noticeable changes inside the car. The only place you can tell is at the top of the windscreen on the passenger side where the DAB aerial is installed (I did think it would be integrated into the standard aerial but clearly not).

That said it is no worse than having a Tax disc so really doesn't bother me and the sound quality has been great so far. It all works off the same menu system of the Touch & Go system.

I'll post a pic later if it would help others deliberating!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.