GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quite fancy taking mine to the ring next year........

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I was hoping to take my Clio but now that I'm chopping that in, I'm more than keen on taking the GT instead and then possibly hiring a Clio for a short period just to see what I missed out on
, but more than anything else, I really want to drive through the Alps via GAP again, last time I did it in an old Honda Accord part of the Barcelona Banger event which was awesome but would love to do it in a proper sports car.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Keethos said:
I was hoping to take my Clio but now that I'm chopping that in, I'm more than keen on taking the GT instead and then possibly hiring a Clio for a short period just to see what I missed out on
, but more than anything else, I really want to drive through the Alps via GAP again, last time I did it in an old Honda Accord part of the Barcelona Banger event which was awesome but would love to do it in a proper sports car.

This sounds like a good plan
'Ring is good but it is helluva expensive way to get your kicks...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've been thinking of eventually taking mine to Imola. I'm a Senna fan and want to pay homage one day.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Speedymurr said:
I'll be taking mine to B&Q, Sainsburys, Tesco, Ayr United home games, etc.
... and caravanning?

Alec

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Definitely; trackday not TF for me

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I've been to the Ring a couple of times before. I'd like to do it too. Perhaps tie it in with a trackday at Spa?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Would love to go there (If it's still open then of course with the financial issues they're having!)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Spa is a must we are off there towards the end of the year just need to decide if i take the GT86 or the BMW Turbo

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
worth being clear for Ring newbies.....................

-your uk motor insurance policy will exclude driving on the Ring on a Touristfahrten day (which is probably what you want to do because it is cheaper / accessible etc.)
-however European law says that your insurer must provide third party cover for all public roads in Europe ( inc the Ring).... so they may have to pay up when youparalyzea fellow Ring'er in a crash... but the insurer will then seek to recover their costs from you. You do not want this
- crash into the barriers/need recovering/ lead to a circuit closure, and you pay big time
- it is very dangerous and things do go badly wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEptaKCkzw

but it is also epic, so you must go

go on an organised trackday there and for which, you can get first party insurance, and enjoy

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yeah, saw that....horrific....did anyone read about some rich dude who went on in his expensive track focused Beamer (I believe), smashed it, but instead of getting towed away, the fool decides to nurse it back, leaving debris and leakage everywhere which meant a full Ring closure. It was no skin off his rich nose but that meant everyone else who paid with their hard earned cash lost out.

@ICantAffordAnLFA, what kind of "organised trackdays" are youreferringto and can't you get trackday insurance to cover the Ring?

Edited by: Keethos

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As a uk driver, you CAN get first party insurance cover for organised trackdays at the Ring. ( crash your car, your insurer fixes it; someone else crashes into you, and your insurer fixes your car; crash into someone else and your insurer pays for your car only)

Try Destination Nurburgring for trackdays.

It's not cheap but peeps must understand the risks of doing TF as an alternative.

Glorious metal always at the Ring.Edited by: ICantAffordAnLFA

·
Registered
278 Posts
keelerad said:
Speedymurr said:
I'll be taking mine to B&Q, Sainsburys, Tesco, Ayr United home games, etc.
... and caravanning?

Alec

Yes of course! It's a GT and I'll be touring all around the country with my wee caravan towed behind.
Maybe we should hold a GT86 caravaners meet next summer, when well all have our GT86s and the great weather for our 'vans will be back?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts