GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viewed a GT86 leas weekend, 2013, 95k miles, good service history. The car is standard and looks like it's rarely been pushed, mature owner really into his cars. Went out for a drive, came to a very fair price and then he mentions the recall was done a few months ago. Due to work he's away for a few days and we'll talk before the weekend. I've read some of the horror stories and it's all that's holding me back. Am I overthinking it too much, or is there a cause for concern.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hello and welcome :)
Failures following the vale spring recall, seem to happen within the first few hundred miles or so of the work being done. Given it was a few months since the work was done, you'd hope to be in the clear (y)

It's worth saying that it's not every car that sufferers a failure and as time has gone on, I think Toytoa and the dealerships have become very aware of the issue. So you would hope, they were triple checking everything at this stage!

·
Registered
112 Posts
IMHO you are not overthinking it too much.

(I see Kaviar has posted while I was typing this out 🙂 )

First question is How many miles covered since recall was carried out?

I seem to think that circa 2000 miles is the 'benchmark' .

In other words I THINK pretty much all reported instances of engine failure after the valve spring recall occurred within (roughly) the first 2000 miles, certainly that's about what you'd expect anyway (though I'm happy to be corrected on that).

So if the car's already done another 2k+ you can be pretty confident you're out of the 'danger zone' but if it's only done a few hundred miles that would lead you to question 2

2) Is there any sort of warranty on the car, will that warranty cover engine failure after recall and is the warranty transferrable to you?

Warranties (as always) definitely a bit of a minefield, so personally I'd think pretty carefully if the mileage after the recall is minimal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
as time has gone on, I think Toytoa and the dealerships have become very aware of the issue. So you would hope, they were triple checking everything at this stage!
That's a good point. If this particular car has been done this year then that's roughly two years of global experience Toyota already had of attempting successful valve spring recalls before they did this one.

So you would certainly hope they knew what they were doing by then.........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, had a chat with the owner and it was carried out almost 9 months ago, around 10k miles and just been serviced. I tried to call Toyota to see about remaining warranty and there was no definitive answer. Asked about, the 10 year Relax warranty and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I'm sure it can't be available for all except Ireland...

From what you've said it seems to be out of the worry trial period of 2k miles, and it's probably a 1 year/10k mile warranty anyway it's pretty much at that now. That was the biggest concern, everything else should be easy to maintain and it looks like this car has been maintained very well. I think at this stage the deal is done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts