GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My names Martin and i'm an alco................ Oppps's wrong forum

As an avid fan of Toyota's cars and engineering i'm finding myself more and more intrigued by the GT-86 and so much so that I have now booked a test drive for Saturday with the possibility of chopping in my day to day car for one of these.

However i'm wondering whether any of you guys and gals can answer a couple of questions that I have:

1. How would any mod's affect the 5 year warranty?
  2. In a similar vain would mod's be allowed if you use one of the Toyota finance schemes?
My day to day car is a 2.4 Honda Accord Exec, which is a lovely car and very reliable and in 30k miles has only required servicing and some brake pads, but is a little boring. Hence thinking of chopping it in for one of these.
However for my play things I have a MKIV UK Manual Supra and an MR2 for track days, so i'm fully versed on Toyota reliability and engineering. :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi
as far as I am aware any modification would void the warranty but have also heard that, say if you changed an engine component then the suspension fails (completely un-related) you can argue your case etc and may get the work done on the suspension under warranty, if they have an excuse not to pay out they will use it though.

With regards to the modifications and the Toyota finance schemes I asked the dealer and he said as long as your name is on the logbook you can do whatever you want basically.Edited by: Mike_89

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just happened to ask on my test drive so don't have anything in writing. Worse case you can just return your car to standard before having any warranty work carried out.Edited by: Mike_89

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi Martin,
I work for a toyota centre.If you buy the genuine parts(TRD upgradesavailable january)there will be no problem with warranty.It is a statutory 3 years with 2 years extension from TGB and you must have it serviced at the toyota dealer to maintain the final 2 years.

Regards Riceburner

·
Registered
278 Posts
The finance package is essentially a car loan.ie You can sell the car whenever you want, paying back Toyota the difference in outstanding payments. You aren't tied to the car for 3 years or so.
The only similarity to HP is that the car is guaranteed a certain final value. This final value offsets the loan value at purchase, makingmore affordable monthly payments. Obviously if you "wreck" your car by say bolting a great big plank to the boot and putting on monster truck wheels, Toyota may query the final value. However if you've upgraded the stereo, added window tints, changed the wheels to something tasteful, etcyou should be okay.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, all good responses.
Wondering whether anybody has looked at the small print on the warranty to see ifmodifications are explicitlymentioned?

BTW......statuatory requirements in the UK require suppliers of goods to cover any defects inmaterials or workmanship present at the time of supply for up to six years. It's covered under the Sales of Goods Act in better words than mine ... LOL

However proving these things can be time consuming and costly unless epidemic faults materialise, so a broader warranty, the likes of these offered by car manufacturers, can give a degree of comfort.

This definitely looks like a car which it will be hard to resist at least minimal modifications (exhaust, cats, maybe suspension dependent on availability of good options, etc) so just want to understand where things may stand with the warranty.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just remembered another question I meant to ask (old age!); are any of you peeps having much sucess getting any discount of the list price or accessories thrown into the deal?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting thread, thanks.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
i managed to get mud flaps for £62 instead of £110 and super guard for £220 instead of £350 but seems all dealers won't budge on car price
Remember Mat's are free and included in price too

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Modding and warranties is all about degrees.

Do a turbo conversion and you are probably on your own if the oily bits go.

Stick an exhaust, intake and a map; you're likely to be ok.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So been keeping quiet since my test drive as i've been trying to secure a deal that i'm happy with and today i've managed to do that and put my deposit down on a black manual car with leather and navigation

I didn't expect the car to be anything like the Supra performance wise and therefore i wasn't disappointed. I thought the pick up on the car was actually quite brisk as long as you kept changing up once the revs were up. I chose a test drive route that was a mixture of B roads and dual carriage way and was a bit disappointed as i got stuck behind traffic on the B roads, but even so I could tell that the chassis was more capable than my driving skills. :)Road noise really wasn't that bad for a sports car and considering I doa lot of motorway\dual carriageway miles for work this was a consideration for me.

Like a lot of you guys I really liked the driving position and back at the dealers looking around the car you can see the places where they have saved money but on the other hand they havespent money on the mostimportant aspects of asports car. IMO it's a very good price for what the car is.

I'm looking forward to picking the car up sometime around the middle of September and having some fun !

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Congrats dude!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So with all the delivery dates coming forward thought i'd givethe dealer a call and see how my schedule is doing.

No major change, car is destined to be with them this Friday for collection early to mid-next week.

So hoping to pick up next Tuesday\Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Martin F said:
So with all the delivery dates coming forward thought i'd givethe dealer a call and see how my schedule is doing.

No major change, car is destined to be with them this Friday for collection early to mid-next week.

So hoping to pick up next Tuesday\Wednesday.
Where in Essex are you picking yours up Martin?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mines coming from 'up norf ' due to a corporate discount scheme my works have with a dealership group.

But I will be using Chelmsford for my servicing as it's on my way to work.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Martin F said:
Mines coming from 'up norf ' due to a corporate discount scheme my works have with a dealership group.

But I will be using Chelmsford for my servicing as it's on my way to work.
You should come to the South East mini-meet on Sunday in Kent with us. Are you interested

1 - 20 of 25 Posts