GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to test drive the Type R GT yesterday (2019), a competitor if we will to the 86.

My verdict is that, despite the Type R being greater equipped, more practical, & more sporty, not to mention the looks, the drive was quite tedious. Nothing can put a smile on your face like an 86. Any thoughts 💭???

·
Registered
67 Posts
When i first picked mine up i thought this is different to what i expected, i think they try and put too much practicality into sports cars nowadays, where did the fun go? every time i get into mine its more enjoyable than the last, i struggle to think what my next car would be 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm sure these cars can be very exciting to drive, but they are also quite competent and maybe you have to go pretty fast before they get interesting. That makes me wary of some performance cars like the Cayman GT4.

But it would be unfair to the car to call it tedious.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If I had to have one car the Civic makes a great argument to be near the top of the pile. It seems a very impressive family car with pace, but all these things make it further from a car like the GT86 and I'm not sure they are a competitor. Its a big car (for a Civic) and more like a performance Accord from a few years ago, but if I needed an all rounder it would be awesome. However the speed and competency might make it dull on a UK B road. Even our Fiesta ST3 Mk8 is a little too competent and fast but less so than a MK8 Golf GTi. The Golf and others like it seem designed to take fast corners at 100MPH at a certain track in Germany with ease, but don't feel light and agile at normal speeds in the UK country side.

The 86 reminds me of an old 205GTi, you thrash it and the speed builds slowly while it moves about along a country road, so instead of just pointing it between 2 bends and pressing the throttle out of the first corner, like modern fast cars you need to keep the speed in the 86 and try to maintain some pace to keep its average speed up. One of the reasons I prefer the 86 over the Golf mk7/8 GTi and even a car as superior as the Cayman for driving pleasure, both faster, both hugely competent, but not in the old fashioned momentum way at normal road speeds. (And consumables are hideously high on the Cayman).

An interesting car is the Fiesta ST3 Mk8 if someone wants a modern hot hatch with character, it has every feature you need in a modern car like the bigger hatches Civic/Golf/Megane, but also with a Quaife diff, Recaros and it feels lively. Granted I think it has too much pace with 200bhp but its probably the Turbo grunt compared to the NA of the 86. It also shuts off one cylinder and gets 44mpg avg but its barely perceivable on light throttle! Its a strangely appealing car in a way that cars I have driven similar to the Civic aren't due to the there inherent competence at high speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts