GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Finally all mapped! What a pain that was!

First impressions? 10x better than the supercharger. More predictable, more linear, more enjoyable, feels "safer" to drive. Honestly feels like a factory turbo car. So far better in every way. Also got a low power map for the mrs and 2 more higher boost maps

Mpg is increased averages 40 - 45 on the mway cruising

Minimal turbo noise though :( so may have to get a cond filter 馃槄

Only downside is I think part of my exhaust has shit itself -

Cobra overpipe, JDL sportscat, Cobra cat back. We put it back on the ramps could t see anything obvious like leaking/blown gaskets. Though both the sports cat and rear res had a solid rattle to them.
Interesting comments Re the supercharger, what setup did you come from?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
HKS V2. Nice to drive but it was very much a shove into the seat just touching the throttle. Fun but not great driveablity, especially in the wet.

Turbos far more predictable and power comes through in a more linear way.

Registered
HKS V2. Nice to drive but it was very much a shove into the seat just touching the throttle. Fun but not great driveablity, especially in the wet.

Turbos far more predictable and power comes through in a more linear way.
Oh wow, Who mapped it? I would expect my cosworth to be worse low down as it has more torque rather than HKS style charger and I dont suffer anything like that!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, I found if you where to "floor it" in second/third, even 70% throttle youd start to loose the back end and the TC kicks in and saves it. Couldnt really enjoy the car that much, very much a case of drive very gently and minimal throttle in corners.

Fitted/mapped by Abbey a while back, tbf could be how the previous owner wanted it. Just not for me.

Fensport did a lovely job. 4 maps, low power/low octane fuel (for the mrs/rain), daily .45 bar, high boost .60 bar, high boost + launch/etc..

So far, loving it. Exactly the car I wanted :D Makes it all worth it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Been driving and enjoying for a while! Still loving it.

Only issue is the main intake pipe off the turbo keeps slipping off. Tried T Bolt clamps, tried trimming the hoses to suit better. No joy.

So anyone doing this install in the future I would strongly suggest you have someone tig a bead on the turbo inlet to prevent this issue.

That or drill and a few holes in the inlet and loctite some M4 or M5 socket/dome heads. Should add enough grip to keep the hose on

Registered
Congrats on the Avo Turbo kit. In my opinion thats the best kit out there for the FA20.

I鈥檓 not surprised you鈥檙e enjoying the turbo more than the HKS SC setup you had before; I dont rate the HKS at all.

Before I Cosworth SC鈥檇 mine I went passenger in a Avo Turbo car and a HKS SC car. HKS car just seemed under powered compared to the Turbo car. Add in all the reliability issue the HKS kit seems to have and engines going pop it quickly came down to either the Avo vs Cossie for me.

I very almost went Avo Turbo myself but at the last minute decided to go Cossie. Just came down to which setup would be better for track and I went for the instant low down torque of the SC.

But I鈥檇 definitely be tempted to do an Avo Turbo project car in the future (if I could find driveway space for a 2nd 86 lol). Its a great kit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah exactly. The SC was great but soon as it let go i wasnt bothering to replace it. At least if it a turbo goes its considerably cheaper to repair/replace.

I solve the intake pipe popping off for now as well.

Got a Mikalor on the turbo, clamping a short bit of silicone hose, with an alli joiner inserted. Then the Avo intake hose.

Hasnt come off once yet.

Only thing I do want is some flutter! :p

21 - 27 of 27 Posts