GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought id make a thread about my AVO stage 2 install happening next weekend.

DIY fitting with a couple mates, weve done a engine swaps (1JZ into S15) and turbo conversions before (MX5) plus a few others so no stranger to the work involved.

Then off to Fensport the following week for mapping!

Cant lie, pretty excited!

Ive always owed Land Rover Defenders, latest one is pretty heavily tuned with a water cooled VKLR VNT turbo custom made for me, which is my daily.

Ill take a lot of pics and update!

Already modified the intake pipe for the uprated IAT sensor, nicely TIG welded at work. Will post a couple pics during the week.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a long day! Got 80% done in a day, just the bumper and undertray to refit.

The front IC hoses run rather close to the pulleys but they do clear them well.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Tire

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim

Leaving the BOV off because flutter is much cooler haha
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

No catch can yet, but AVO solution is quite clever. Nicely machined filler cap

Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Intercooler hoses run so tight the headlight washer jets have to be removed. You can just about fit the passenger side but its VERY tight. Drivers side isnt possible, the intercooler pipe runs directly behind where the washer jet should go. If they can be fitted itd be impressive!

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Car

Washer bottle has to be moved down around 40mm, all the hoses reach with a little re routing.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Another angle showing the passenger side boost pipe.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Hood Motor vehicle

The water line on the turbo need adjusting yk clear the block, we didnt realise this until we had the turbo/manifold fitted. So we cut a 19mm socket down to fit! Be easier to do off the car... lol

Tire Automotive tire Leg Hood Motor vehicle

Overall not bad at all to fit. Ive done worse jobs before 😅 only very annoying thing is the alternator idler pulley bracket had been cut down to fit the SC, didnt have a new one and all 4 local Toyota garages didnt even answer the phone! So have one on order and will be fitted next week ready for mapping at Fensport next Monday!

Took around 11 hours including removing a supercharger and fitting a new overpipe (painful removing the old one!) Definitely a two person job. Uou could do it alone but it would be struggle.

No leaks, no issues so far. Starts well, sounds very good with the UEL headers!

Now she rests in the garage till next weekend when ill finish everything off. Just the belly pan, alternator bracket and a few zip ties.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Managed to get a new alternator bracket, cheaper to buy an entire alternator and pulleys thats get the bracket alone...

Final touches today then a 2 hour drive trying to stay off boost for final mapping at Fensport :LOL:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All done! Tidied up the oil/water lines a bit but still not 100% happy.

Alternator is in, belts on and running well.

No leaks from anywhere and the belly pans back in.

Only down side is I cant seem to get the front bumper back on properly, may pay someone to sort that out. Though ill have another look tomorrow.

All ready for mapping tomorrow, hopefully I make it to the Midlands!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made it to Fensport without issue, but disaster struck. Main lamba sensor is dead and couldnt get a new one today :cautious:

So ordered one. Arriving this week. Turbo off then back to Fensport on monday...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After 2 suppliers screwing me over and Toyota not able to supply within the time. I found a supplier on my doorstep!

Drop the turbo/manifold today, only to find the old sensor and chewed up the thread! Could not find an M18x 1.5 tap anywhere so rang my local Landy Garage, Gigglepin who had one! They let me borrow it, shortly after manifold retapped.

All went back in easily. Except for the main air intake pipe to the turbo. Kept slipping off, even with a Mikalor...

Long term ill drop the turbo again a tig weld a flange on but should last for now.

Ready for Fensport on Monday though!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally all mapped! What a pain that was!

First impressions? 10x better than the supercharger. More predictable, more linear, more enjoyable, feels "safer" to drive. Honestly feels like a factory turbo car. So far better in every way. Also got a low power map for the mrs and 2 more higher boost maps

Mpg is increased averages 40 - 45 on the mway cruising

Minimal turbo noise though :( so may have to get a cond filter 😅

Only downside is I think part of my exhaust has shit itself -

Cobra overpipe, JDL sportscat, Cobra cat back. We put it back on the ramps could t see anything obvious like leaking/blown gaskets. Though both the sports cat and rear res had a solid rattle to them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice one! Well done! So would you recommend doing this as a DIY install (aslong as the person has some mechanical knowledge 🤣) or would you go for the fitted install?

Thats really interesting what you say about it being more linear! I know these stock almost have a that lag in the sense the power below 4k is meh but thought the SC would be more linear!

If money permits at a later stage I'm still tempted with FI, a low boost turbo does sound like the ticket!

And yes, more turbo noise!! 🤣

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah id fit one again. Tbf nothing was that challenging at all, hardest part is getting all the silicone hoses trimmed to line up well.

No really special tools needed either.

Power definitely is a lower on the low end but comes in much more gradually, just feels much better!

I worked out the horrible noise as well, looks like a jubilee wasnt done up quite tight enough and one of the steel intake pipes came loose and worked its way toward the pulleys. Issue solved now, drivabillity is better and there is flutter! Woooo

Only downside is you must buy an ECUTek EVI with programming in order to load the base map to make it drivable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts