GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 86 day on 6th Aug. The height of summer in Japan.

Sadly I wasn't present this year as I was away on holiday with my family, but next year I plan to attend in my original N2 / hillclimb full-race spec AE86 and maybe shoot some pics of the event myself too.

Anyways, here's pictures by the veritable Dino Dalle Carbonare of the main 86 event this year.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/fuji-speedway-goes-86-crazy/

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Hi Miguel, please explain to these lot why 86 day is on the 6th August, as some members seem to think it would be acceptable to have it on the 8th June!

I enjoyed our first ever UK celebrations at the Ace Cafe yesterday and yes, your old car was there!

If Toyota agree that 86 day is on the 6th August, then erm, it is!

Interesting!

Edited by: Lauren

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Probably from a sales point of view the US is very important and there they had it on 8th august in line with the yanks.

For the GT86 day its our choice, we're not trying to emulate anything. I would imagine there are a few annoyed Japs too

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Probably from a sales point of view the US is very important and there they had it on 8th august in line with the yanks.

For the GT86 day its our choice, we're not trying to emulate anything. I would imagine there are a few annoyed Japs too
With you on this as will be our own club and what ever date we decide to go with

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
No offence, but I do not understand your reasoning.

86 day on the 6th August has nothing do with the US. The way I see it, there is nothing to decide, it is already what it is. If you look at the Speedhunters coverage you will see that GT86 owners have very much been a part of it.

I thought the Japanese date format was year, month, day. So I've no idea why people think that the 6th August is a date picked by the Americans.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I joined this club not the ae86 club so will have to decline any offer to merge as not what I am looking for
If the clubs do merge then all good for them but I will not be joining them then
If that means to come off this forum then so be it
I joined to chat about our cars anyway and that's all

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lauren said:

Do Toyota organise this 86 day in Japan or some car enthusiasts?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Martin F said:
Lauren said:

Do Toyota organise this 86 day in Japan or some car enthusiasts?

I'm not sure who exactly books Fuji Speedway, perhaps you could find out?

That Toyota participate in it, is surely recognition enough! Surely we look to Japan and have the appropriate respect for what is already there?

@Celica, I get that you have no interest in the heritage of the car that you are about to receive, but, not all of us feel that way I would hope! If you ever had an AE86 attend any of your meets, it's an honour tbh considering their rarity. After all there would be no GT86 without the AE86, so respect where it's due!

Edited by: Lauren

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Miguel, thought you might recognise this!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lauren said:
86 day on the 6th August has nothing do with the US. The way I see it, there is nothing to decide, it is already what it is.
And not challenging anything or deciding to do your own thing means innovation dies.

No one is suggesting changing anything to do with the AE86 meets, if people want to go along to those in their GT86s and are welcome then all well and good.

If this group decides to meet up on 8th June (or several days) of the year, all well and good... and it makes sense for a UK group. I ordered my car because I love *this* car, I joined this group to chat with like minded people and learn more about the car, have a laugh and if some of us get to meet up at some point in the future that would be great too.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I mostly agree. I don't want to rock the boat.

Perhaps all I'm trying to do is celebrate the heritage of the new car by talking about the old. I'm after all, looking to make the transition to the new car. I think though, it's important to remember that the AE86 community are a very close knit group. We don't have many meets really. 86 day is our biggest meet for obvious reasons.

Anyone who wanted to come along in their GT86 would have been welcome. All the AE86 lot are raving about what we see to be the successor the car we all love and take so much pride in. We even invited other pre-1990 Toyotas to join in on the celebrations. Good people and good times are what it's all about.

I've been involved with the Japanese car culture scene in the UK since 2000. I'm currently on my 5th old Toyota. I've tracked, raced, restored and modified my cars. I love going to the events and spending my time with fellow enthusiasts.

I guess and apologies if I might have gone about this a bit boldy, but I'm just keen to welcome the new GT86 owners to the fold so to speak. The Jap car scene community are a nice friendly bunch in my experience, we want you guys to be a part of it.

As I've said before I'm happy to welcome any GT86 owners onto my club stand at JAE in a few weeks time. We'd love to have you!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Chances are the GT86 scene will quickly become much larger than the AE86 one, so perhaps we could invite you guys along to join us instead? :)

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
gt_sjo said:
Chances are the GT86 scene will quickly become much larger than the AE86 one, so perhaps we could invite you guys along to join us instead? :)

I have no doubt of that! AE86's are extremely rare!

Absolutely, we all want to enjoy our cars together. After all there will be an absolutely huge tuning scene that will happen in the future I think. I've love to see the GT86 club at JAE and the like. Be a part of it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Anyone here actually going to JAE this year? Reckon there'll be enough for a GT-86 club there?

I've never been before but I've got mates who do attend these types of events....sadly I won't have my GT-86 by then

Edited by: Keethos

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
It's a bit late to get a stand at this point though. These were allocated months ago. I guess you could turn up and have an area at the end of the field somewhere with a gazebo or somesuch and have a social?

This is why I was offering my club facilities with car space in a prime spot.

If you haven't got your car, why not come anyway? Adrian from Fensport will be there no doubt in his GT86.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Feels to me like our club will soon NOT be our club
Good luck to all who join as wont be me
Time to sign off I feel ... See ya and hope you get things sorted
Cheers dan for all the help

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lauren said:
Surely we look to Japan and have the appropriate respect for what is already there?

All hail the Japanese !

Lauren said:
If you ever had an AE86 attend any of your meets, it's an honour tbh considering their rarity.

I'm sure we would all bow down on the ground and chant 'We're not worthy!'

I can see that you are trying to extend the hand of friendship and co-operation between other Jap clubs (a scene that I have also been around since 2001) but you really should think about what you're typing before posting. Maybe your enthusiasm for the new marque is just getting the better of you, but if you're not careful you will start to alienate some people from what is an owners club in it's infancy.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Martin F said:
Maybe your enthusiasm for the new marque is just getting the better of you, but if you're not careful you will start to alienate some people from what is an owners club in it's infancy.

Maybe, and if I have offended anyone, then I do apologise. I guess I just thought others would be enthusiastic too. Clubs don't exist in isolation, they are part of a bigger scene. Perhaps I misjudged it?

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Celica66 said:
Feels to me like our club will soon NOT be our club
Good luck to all who join as wont be me
Time to sign off I feel ... See ya and hope you get things sorted
Cheers dan for all the help

I'm really sorry, Celica. This wasn't my intention. I want the GT86 club to grow and have it's own identity and I fully intend to be a part of it too with my own car. So, please don't go.

I guess what with my stupid levels of excitement about the car, I might have got carried away. If I have I do apologise, I really didn't intend things to go in that manner. As it has been said, maybe my enthusiasm for what I see as my dream car has got the better of me!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Its a lil extreme to leave a forum just because some people feel like sharing an experience of other cars with other people isn't it? It's not like this will turn into a AE86 forum, this is only a small part/discussion, all of us primarily join this forum to chat about GT-86's or BRZ's and that won't change. I really don't see where the issue is, and on that , I'd like to thank Lauren for sharing and the invites.

I'm guna see if some of my mates are going to JAE this year cos I may check it out, see what its all about. Anyone else going and if so, what days? Is there much difference between the days?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts