GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to the big reveal. Three questions remain in my head , engine, power / torque and chassis as there have been many rumours.

Anyone else enthusiastic? Screenshot_20201116-220556.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, might be an issue that Subaru are unlikely to bring it to Europe...
That's where Toyota comes into the partnership. With such strict emission rules , only Toyota can meet the fleet target of 95g/km across its range and not Subaru which still is fossil fuel driven

The question is when and I think with Yaris GR, it is deliberate that Toyota are delaying their launch of GT

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts

The question is when and I think with Yaris GR, it is deliberate that Toyota are delaying their launch of GT

The delay of announcements with the GR86 is absolutely due to the launch of the GR Yaris. Seeing as all deliveries for the Yaris have been delayed until the 30th November (mine included!), there is no way they are going to talk about the new GR86 until the Yaris is out. That said, it shouldn't be too much longer now.

It makes total sense to only release one car at a time for the GR brand and Toyota will want all the focus to be on the Yaris right now.

Reactions: BRZ

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been impatiently waiting for this. I know the BRZ isn't coming to Europe but I highly expect the GR/GT86 will.

As much as I like the GR Yaris, the interior is hideous and I don't know if there will be any sense of occasion when driving normally, will it just be the case of driving a regular Yaris with a low roofline. Holding onto my money for the 86 at the minute.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How high that ascent's engine revs? If it's not as high reving, imho it might be less of a good match for car of this class, even if a bit more powerful/torqueier from displacement.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Most likely the Subaru Ascent 2.4 engine with no turbo, different tune but perhaps 225hp.
Given Subarus appetite for top mounted intercoolers on their turbocharged engines it would make sense, none of the spy shots have shown a bonnet vent or an intercooler in the front bumper. OK that is massive speculation but so is everything so far.

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
I've been impatiently waiting for this. I know the BRZ isn't coming to Europe but I highly expect the GR/GT86 will.

As much as I like the GR Yaris, the interior is hideous and I don't know if there will be any sense of occasion when driving normally, will it just be the case of driving a regular Yaris with a low roofline. Holding onto my money for the 86 at the minute.
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the GR only shares the lights, wing mirrors and aerials with the regular Yaris. In effect it is a totally different car. Have you seen the reviews? It's just bonkers, the press are loving it, loads have been ordered off the press reviews.

I hope the GR86 is fab too. I do have a GR Yaris about to land any day now.

Reactions: martinwood333

·
GR Yaris.... Obvs
2,140 Posts
Most likely the Subaru Ascent 2.4 engine with no turbo, different tune but perhaps 225hp.
2.4 NA 217bhp 180lb/ft is what it's looking like. Similar to a first generation GT with the manifold and remap, though doubtless a better torque spread given the increase in capacity. A lower rev limit though.

·
Administrator
5,769 Posts
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the GR only shares the lights, wing mirrors and aerials with the regular Yaris.
None of which is visible when driving the car..... I get what you're saying, but the dash is a lift and shift from a Yaris so he does have a point. Then again, I've also said that that is a step up from the 86 cabin, so.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
None of which is visible when driving the car..... I get what you're saying, but the dash is a lift and shift from a Yaris so he does have a point. Then again, I've also said that that is a step up from the 86 cabin, so.....
Think you're getting that the wrong way around. It only SHARES those parts, which as you state aren't visible when driving the car. Implying the parts you CAN see arent shared.

·
Administrator
5,769 Posts
Think you're getting that the wrong way around. It only SHARES those parts, which as you state aren't visible when driving the car. Implying the parts you CAN see arent shared.
No, my implication is you can't see the outside of the car when you're in it. So for day to day, it's like being in a Yaris.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Let me swing it another way. If I was to pop to the shops in our Ford Focus there is nothing special or noteworthy about it. If I go in the 86 there is that sense of occasion, its totally different, you sit low the car, the gearbox feels rifle bolt like, you can see the corners of the car and place it where you want it, it gives you good feedback, it doesn’t roll around the corner. This is all happening at '2/10ths'. My question is are you going to feel the same way in a GR Yaris at '2/10ths' or are you going to feel like it’s an ordinary Yaris…

I've been following the car for a while so I'm fully aware its a thoroughbred WRC car for the road and the press love it, but they are hacking around fantastic roads or on track whilst hammering it at '10/10ths'. Whilst that is awesome fun I think its the reason why people get bored of cars quickly/

Not bashing the Yaris, I am a fan, it's just a genuine thought.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think they are pretty official. As feared the rear end is very Vauxhall as you picked up Andy. Interior isn't going to win any awards either. Nevermind.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Like I just said on FB, I doubt Joe Public would notice any difference between the 2017 GT86 and this. If I saw the one in those photos, I'd think, 'oh, GT86 with TRD-style spoiler and a bit of a body kit behind the front arches' (if I noticed the outlets at all at a glance).

So, take it or leave it.

But what's under the bonnet? & on the wheels?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts