GT86 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally completed the first 1000 miles run-in...

Now the gloves come off and I can raise the warning beep a lot closer to 7000+ RPM.

Quite amazingly, though I've not gone above 4000 RPM that many times, Average MPG currently showing as 40.8

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Angel C said:

Now the gloves come off and I can raise the warning beep a lot closer to 7000+ RPM.

Quite amazingly, though I've not gone above 4000 RPM that many times, Average MPG currently showing as 40.8
You might want to do it progressively, it might be best to say go to 5k miles for a bit then 6k, etc...

Have fun!

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Senna said:
Angel C said:

You might want to do it progressively, it might be best to say go to 5k miles for a bit then 6k, etc...

Have fun!
Your engines are going to be so tight if your not red linning it by 1k miles....... Even the manual says you can after 1k!

·
Administrator
5,798 Posts
GT86Owner said:
Senna said:

Have fun!
Your engines are going to be so tight if your not red linning it by 1k miles....... Even the manual says you can after 1k!

I think what Senna is getting at is to not not spend 1000 miles not goingover 4k and then immediately spank the limiter. It's good to slowly increase the limits, seeing as most wear will happen at higher RPMs, especially if it's not seen those engine speeds before.

Also I think it's wise to say that not to cane the engine for a good 15 mins after starting the engine cold to allow oil temps to get up to a decent temperature.

·
Registered
GT86 Cosworth
4,869 Posts
Kodename47 said:
GT86Owner said:
Senna said:

Have fun!

I think what Senna is getting at is to not not spend 1000 miles not goingover 4k and then immediately spank the limiter. It's good to slowly increase the limits, seeing as most wear will happen at higher RPMs, especially if it's not seen those engine speeds before.

Also I think it's wise to say that not to cane the engine for a good 15 mins after starting the engine cold to allow oil temps to get up to a decent temperature.
Yeap making sure the engine is warm is good advice.

I guess were comming from two ends of the scale. I had mine up to 6k within 200 miles (but not on full throttle) and was redlining it ocassionally befroe 500miles was up. In fact I probable treat it nicer now and im on abotu 1400 miles

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, yep - Intend to slowly build up to using more RPM (once the engine is warmed). Coming from a daily driver of a 1.4 Fester for the last two years... it's going to take a little getting used to.

Thankfully I'm familiar with RWD from 13 years of the MR2 so still a lot more fun to come from the GT86.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
After my 1st 1,000 miles at below 4,000rpm, I went all the way up to 7,500rpm. Car is running fine and keeping the engine over the 5,000rpm mark on those country roads is great fun.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My was redlined a few times after around 1000miles. After 1000 it gets used, its built to be driving up to redline, and the more u use it, the better it will drive. Seems the CEL problem shows the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.