Disable traction and abs. “86nanny” - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By church
  • 1 Post By Richym

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2020, 14:14 Thread Starter

Disable traction and abs. “86nanny”

Learned my traction control doesn’t like my kazz 1.5 diff at oulton park this weekend. I’ve been doing a bit of looking and wanted to buy the 86 nanny from beastronics. However he seem to have shut up shop a couple of years ago. Is there another alternative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2020, 14:21
Groupie

Does it still mess about all off?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2020, 16:46
Expert

If you want each and every nanny disabled, pull ABS fuse. It will switch off everything.
As for myself, i prefer leaving basic ABS on (if it is engaged, i probably overbraked anyway, why not use ABS as easy to hear/feel cue for that, even if one treshold brakes?). And pedal dance seemed big hassle only first few times. Later on sequence to enable it gets into reflexes, and what i thought as temporary solution prior purchasing something like 86nanny .. i cannot justify for myself that purchase anymore.
If you still wish simple to switch on. Hmm. Maybe this + this as alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2020, 07:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
If you want each and every nanny disabled, pull ABS fuse. It will switch off everything.
As for myself, i prefer leaving basic ABS on (if it is engaged, i probably overbraked anyway, why not use ABS as easy to hear/feel cue for that, even if one treshold brakes?). And pedal dance seemed big hassle only first few times. Later on sequence to enable it gets into reflexes, and what i thought as temporary solution prior purchasing something like 86nanny .. i cannot justify for myself that purchase anymore.
If you still wish simple to switch on. Hmm. Maybe this + this as alternative.
Fantastic that's exactly what I was looking for thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2020, 07:27
GR Yaris.... Obvs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
Does it still mess about all off?
A three second press and hold of the traction control button should give you what you want. I take it you didn't try that at Oulton?

2020 Gazoo Racing Yaris. Pure white, Circuit Pack.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2020, 10:58
Expert

long press TC off still leaves EBD & e-lsd on. Simpler to switch on/off though and can be done so even on cold engine (unlike PD).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2020, 13:34
Expert

I have to say my braking is pretty numb where I either don't notice feedback or it does not come through, and it easily engages ABS. Is it my weak technique or is the ABS working against me I wonder. I think the ABS cuts in too soon but part of the problem might be me.

Moves With Rowds
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2020, 15:44
Expert

ABS cuts in when wheel speed sensors detect wheel locking. If you want to not have ABS engage, brake less hard, brake less in situations that have reduced available grip, increase overall grip (grippier tires/more aero and so on). It's not ABS cutting in too easily, it's for whatever multiple reasons wheels are locking too soon, ABS does it's job after it already happened. Try during next lap brake sooner and a bit less hard (if doing treshold braking), try braking most in straight line, less when steering wheel is turned, or if using trail-braking, try lifting brake pedal quicker relative to steering wheel turning.

How much one needs to brake should come from how well one feels/knows car/track/grip, from eg. deceleration g-forces, tire squeal noise , knowledge of track, car, weather & available grip level, feel of speed. Mostly ramped up by experience. What one can improve "technically in car" might be braking operating feel, to brake just the right amount one wishes to. For example one thing i like in CSG spec brake pads (unfortunately very expensive) is their modulation/feel, that eases me to brake just the right amount i command it to .. problem being, that doesn't bring knowing What is Right amount to press to brake most effectively but without lock. That knowing bit comes from experience & skills . Or in simpler method of trial & error, and then - from memory. Overbraked before that corner and hearing that ABS pulsing? Ease before (brake less, start braking quicker) during next lap. Drive more the car so that feedback from it is better felt and you know better it's limits, including it's grip & braking capabilities.
MovesWithClouds likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th December 2020, 08:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
A three second press and hold of the traction control button should give you what you want. I take it you didn't try that at Oulton?
Yes I did. Car was so much better just a shame it was latter part of the day. Track was drying out too.
Lauren likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page