What Coilovers? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2020, 18:17 Thread Starter

What Coilovers?

Now that my Gt86 is back up and running and no longer my daily drive I am looking to turn it in to a dedicated track day car.

However, I am still on the standard suspension.
And I am weighing up my options.

Itís definitely going to be more track oriented but
I donít want to completely spoil it if I want to go for a weekend blast up north. I am probably looking for something 80/20 track/road biased.

Lost of options out there so looking for some recommendations. Also, any other suggestions for mods welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2020, 20:25
Expert

How much do you want to spend?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2020, 22:03 Thread Starter

Budget not a huge issue. One to buy the right thing once.

Been looking at the BC ZR series based on a suggestion from fensport but thought I would get some other opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2020, 23:08
Expert

If you're after something for mainly track use and budget isn't an issue I'd be looking at something from the likes of Nitron, Moton, Penske, Intrax, etc. Those options range from around £4k to £10k.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 24th March 2020, 16:45
Expert

Mention of BC imho clearly tells budget is issue.
What tires you run on at track? Does/what aero mods car has? NA or FI engine?
Still, my own choice would be spend less on mods, more on trackdays (and wearables) themselves. Not moding car too track/speed oriented will also help spendings reasonable, resulting in more actual trackdays affordable within budget.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 24th March 2020, 17:29 Thread Starter

The car used to be my daily drive. Its cosworth supercharged and has AP racing BBK front and rear. Other than that I am just getting started with it.

As I say, the BCs were a recommendation from Fensport. They run them on their GT86 R and regularly get the overall win at the TSS so they cant be too bad.

My background is Comp Safari (offroad) racing so i'm used to paying good money for shocks but also aware that throwing big money at a name doesn't necessarily get you better kit.
Hence the request for recommendations.

Church / Deacon what are you guys running?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 24th March 2020, 18:18
Expert

LOL. I'm running stock and just considering switch to not that much different bilstein B6-es. Simply car is daily driven on far from good condition roads and i'm not willing to make it worse daily drive for sake of those few trackdays, where it seems fine enough for having fun, instead of hunting for every second off laptime. Also as all car expenses have to earn by myself, obviously choosing 10 trackdays over just 2 trackdays and rest of budget spent on mods . Also making car faster will also make it less forgiving, harder to learn and will increase wear/spendings on wearables like tires/pads/rotors/fuel. Hence i thread very carefully with mods choice, their price/performancy, how they may compromise daily drivability.

Still, what imho should affect suspension choice most, is tire choice. Or in other words - their grip. Grippier tires (by themselves and/or due lot of aero downforce) = higher speeds/more side Gs, hence will benefit from stiffer spring/bump/rebound rates to not bottom out and to reduce roll, unfortunately compromising daily drivability. Even if later doesn't matter to you, compliance also means grip. If suspension is too stiff for tire grip/overloads tires, it will also mean that it may handle worse pavement deffects/kerbs on track, car jump on such more = less grip (thus less speed) and control. There is big difference what optimum suspension if one runs on stock primacies, good street tires like MPS4, track tires like Cup 2, or even slicks eg. Hoosiers. All proper suspension tuning shops should ask first - what tires (given that you already stated for what type of driving) and then advise based on that. Things like FI also may affect speed/tire loading in some track layout ands so does extra aero of splitter/diffuser/wing if on faster tracks, but tires usually is most important bit.

At lower budgets it's not as if all offerings are not considerable, but they often compromise several less important areas then single focused one, about only what they can given low pricepoint. Then again, on higher end often it's more of very adjustable and/or custom valved solutions, where one may depend a lot on competency of suspension shop helping to dial in or own skills to drive consistently, log, know what/how one needs to change to dial better instead of opposite, of choosing settings from hunch, myths, inconsistent amount of mistakes in previous laps.

So maybe state - what tires, and what budget (and maybe few other details you are thinking as relevant (eg. do you already have performance alignment, what other suspension mods or other mods on car there is already), to better advise basing on). Also imho good place to ask or search more info would be state-side ft86club.com forum. For example this thread. Or track/HPDE related section threads.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 24th March 2020, 19:08
Expert

I'm running Moton Clubsports with Eibach ERS tender and main springs.

I think the BC's that Fensport run are considerably removed from the ones you can buy off the shelf
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 25th March 2020, 09:17

Do you really need the adjustability of a coilover like BC? Usually you set up only once the height and compression & rebound characteristics and you forget it.

In general the stock suspension is quite good for track usage and it would make sense to change it, only if the stock height bothers you or as mentioned if you go too big with tire size.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 25th March 2020, 13:26
Expert

My advice would be to listen to Jeff (Deacon). Since he has tried and tested a few setups on the GT86 and does a lot trackdays he has the real world experience unlike some other members who just simply spread opinion based on what they read on the web.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page