3Likes
  • 1 Post By Will300
  • 1 Post By Gareth
  • 1 Post By EB2429

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2021, 15:55 Thread Starter
Groupie

2021 Trackday Plans?

Anyone got a Trackday to look forward to in 2021?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2021, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2429 View Post
I was very fortunate that my girlfriend bought me a trackway voucher for 2021 which would cover a track day plus a session or two with an instructor. I will more than likely use it at Oulton Park once restrictions allow. It would be my first time on track in anything and I am very much looking forward to it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2021, 19:49
Expert

Quote:
I've got Oulton Park booked for February and Anglesey booked for August so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2021, 21:06
GT86 Senior

Garage
Just a few booked so far:

19/02 - Oulton Park with Open Track
31/03 - Spa with Javelin
01/04 - Spa with Javelin
06/04 - Nurburgring with Circuit Days
07/04 - Nurburgring with Circuit Days
23/08 - Anglesey with Open Track
Tony H likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 12:09 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I was very fortunate that my girlfriend bought me a trackway voucher for 2021 which would cover a track day plus a session or two with an instructor. I will more than likely use it at Oulton Park once restrictions allow. It would be my first time on track in anything and I am very much looking forward to it.

Sounds like a nice present!(when you can book it and comfortably go). Some of the options for instruction can be follow an instructor in another car, buildidng up a bit of pace, or an instructor in your car with a mask, but it will depend on the Track day provider obvs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I've got Oulton Park booked for February and Anglesey booked for August so far
Do you think the Feb Oulton park day will go ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will300 View Post
Just a few booked so far:

19/02 - Oulton Park with Open Track
31/03 - Spa with Javelin
01/04 - Spa with Javelin
06/04 - Nurburgring with Circuit Days
07/04 - Nurburgring with Circuit Days
23/08 - Anglesey with Open Track
Thats a fair chunk of money with those double bookings Will, but a very nice year (hopefully). Thinking of the long-ish drive and TD's, what tyres are you running at Spa and the Ring?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 14:47
GT86 Senior

Garage
Quote:
Thats a fair chunk of money with those double bookings Will, but a very nice year (hopefully).
Yeah its not a cheap trip, but I've wanted to do a Euro trip/trackday for the last few years.
I was booked on the Spa trackday last year, but ofcourse that got cancelled so I've decided to make the most of it this year.

Quote:
Thinking of the long-ish drive and TD's, what tyres are you running at Spa and the Ring?
That is a really good question and something I've already been giving some thought to.

Currently I'm running the Rays wheels in 17x9 with Michelin PS4's in 245/45/17.
Now this is an excellent all round setup for track and I'm happy with the grip level provided in the wet and dry and it's a tyre I've got loads of experience with.
However these current PS4's, whilst only 12 months old have already done 8 trackdays so far.

I therefore got a couple of options I'm considering (I'll likely take an emergency spare wheel with me)

Option 1: Run the existing PS4's, but they might be passed their best and could get shread with 4 basically back to back trackday within a week.
Option 2: Buy a brand new set of PS4's, however I'm not sure if a brand new set will hold up to that much punishment.
Option 3: Fit a set of dedicated track tyres to the Rays wheels and run those.
Option 4: Take two sets of wheels, a road set to drive over on and a track set to run when on circuit.

These are the track tyres I'm looking at, should I decide on Option 3 or 4. In order of preferrence:

1. Nankang CR1 (A brand new tyre that should be release sortly, similar to a A052 or Trofeo R)
2. Toyo Proxxies R888R
3. Nankang AR1
4. Yokohama A052 (This would be my preferred choice but it's the most expensive tyre listed, £100 a corner more expensive than all the others.)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 15:17 Thread Starter
Groupie

I'm in the same boat, sort of

Do I run a TD-ish tyre (not in your league but light TD tyre) all the way to the Ring and Spa on the assumption it will/might be blisteringly hot. Or worry if it becomes a monsoon in the Eifel region and I end up going around the track at a snails pace or worse.

I wouldn't get away with wheels in the back though as I am going for a break of a couple of weeks.

After seeing recent reports on the progression of other brands Goodyear and Continental in the last few years (I guess because the PS4 is pretty old now and we must be due PS5 soon) I'm going to try Goodyear F1 eagle 5 which have similar performance in last few tests in hot and wet weather tests, but better subjective handling with less noise apparently than PS4? Personally I have always really liked PS4, but just fancy a change.. Then something like the new Cup2 connect which now has 20% more tread than last Cup 2 and also better wet performance for the long drive to the ring/spa. Although I think Deacon wasn't sold on the perhaps older Cup 2? Its claimed the new Cup 2 Connect is a big step up.

But will see closer to the time, as neither are requirements for me, I could run Primacy HP and still have fun
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 18:56
GR Yaris.... Obvs

Garage
I've got a track day in my new car booked for 31st January, but it seems like there is basically zero chance of that going ahead now.

I'm not going to book anything in the current situation till it looks like it's going to ease.

2020 Gazoo Racing Yaris. Pure white, Circuit Pack.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 19:33

Quote:
Sounds like a nice present!(when you can book it and comfortably go). Some of the options for instruction can be follow an instructor in another car, buildidng up a bit of pace, or an instructor in your car with a mask, but it will depend on the Track day provider obvs.
I was hoping for instructor in the passenger seat but after tonight, no one's doing anything for a while it seems.
EB2429 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2021, 20:51 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I've got a track day in my new car booked for 31st January, but it seems like there is basically zero chance of that going ahead now.

I'm not going to book anything in the current situation till it looks like it's going to ease.

Yeah I think you might struggle in Feb let alone Jan
Lauren likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page