GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Latest GT86 recall - Engine Valve Springs

171K views 719 replies 112 participants last post by  zonefx 
#1 ·
Just had this pop up on Toyota Tech EU while searching for more technical documents after I entered my VIN and wondered if anyone else had more information on this or what cars it affects. As my VIN was used to get the information I am assuming I am affected by it, however there is no mention of the power steering ECU recall on the list for my VIN which was done last year.

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/euro5search/Campaigns

Code: 18SMD-105
Desc: R/SSC NOT READY - Engine valve spring replacement on Toyota GT86
Summary: Owners of vehicles affected by this recall /special service campaign will receive a campaign notification by first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Toyota retailer / authorised repairer to arrange for the vehicle to be inspected and countermeasures applied where applicable. This recall / special service campaign will be performed by any Toyota retailer / authorised repairer at NO cost to the vehicle owner.

Toyota site confirms a recall is outstanding but doesn't specify what it is

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/veh...ame/https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker

See less See more
#18 ·
Mine's on the list :( If it's engine out, hopefully they'll do my spark plugs at the same time if I slip the mechanic £20, sitting at 56,000 miles now.

If peeps have had their early FA20 'let go', I wonder if this admission of a fault means they can get some compo off Toyota?
My spark plugs are due soon too and I though the same thing :)

With regard to the recall though, I really don't like the idea of my local dealer going that deep in to my engine?!

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up - mine is also showing as affected.

The car is going in to the dealers on Saturday morning for a service and a new set of tyres, so I'll ask about it then.

Update: it's also showing on the DVLA Recall site: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

#24 ·
Aaaah daaaang. Mine's on the list too. Not even had the car 2 months! I'll await the official letter through the post.

Would you recommend taking it to a proper Toyota dealer and not an Arnold Clark variant? I've used Arnold Clark for recalls when I had my Kia (3 recalls in total) and didn't have any issues, though just wondering what your experience has been?

#26 ·
"Subaru Corporation announced today they have reported a huge recall of four vehicles to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport in Japan. Subaru says the Subaru Impreza compact car, XV small SUV (XV Crosstrek in global markets), Forester SUV and BRZ sports coupe are being recalled for a flaw in the design of the valve springs in the vehicle’s FB20 2.0-liter Boxer engine. The total number of vehicles being recalled in Japan totals 74,349.

7,803 Subaru BRZ models are recalled as of November 1, 2018. The announcement made today by Subaru Corp says the faulty valve springs will be replaced because the springs may be broken due to “excessive load” than they were originally designed to handle. It’s caused by “small foreign matter in the spring material due to general manufacturing variation.” Subaru says abnormal noise is generated and engine malfunction occurs, and in the worst case, the engine may stop running."

#27 ·
3505 cars are affected in the UK built between April 2012-May 2013. Richard from RRG sent me a message yesterday morning about it. I expect mine will be one of the first to be done at RRG Macclesfield and I'll have the benefit of Gary's expertise. The ECU will be reset by nature of disconnecting the battery but that's all, so it won't affect maps etecetera.

I would say that RRG Macc' will be doing quite a lot of them, so it does make sense to use a dealer that will have some practice at this, though there's no reason why any dealer can't do this. From what I understand I don't think the heads need to come off, but I can't see how it can be done with the engine in situ.

As Steve said the dealer will be paid to do this, so there is no reason to rush the job. I would expect it to be done properly and if any gaskets need changing on the exhaust manifold as a result of them coming off then I'd expect them to be changed. I've just had my plugs changed again at my 120K service. I expect that I could get them to check the timing chain condition whilst the engine is out as surely they'll need to remove the cams and thus timing chains to do it. We shall see.

Reactions: Sideways?
#35 ·
3505 cars are affected in the UK built between April 2012-May 2013. Richard from RRG sent me a message yesterday morning about it.
I'd not realised it was only a set period. Thank you :) That's put my mind at ease.

Road trip to RRG Macc :D
That isn't a bad idea you know. I bet the marketing department would love to get on board with a "Group Buy" style event, all be it with a recall.
Granted recalls arn't a good thing but given it's public knowledge anyway, might as well find a silver lining?

Try push them to organise a track/drift day at one of local tracks, if X amount of people sign up to have there cars done with them :p

#30 ·
They have to do the work to a good standard, invariably they'll get quicker at it once they've done a few I expect. I have no qualms about where my car is going.

Reactions: Lowe
#31 ·
Unfortunately "good standard" is the last thing going through the dealer's mind when Toyota are paying them a pot of cash for guaranteed work, I highlighted this issue to Toyota GB back in July that shortcuts will be taken wherever possible to get the job done quickly, they didn't believe me... and now I have it on Toyota headed paper in October that is exactly what happened when my car was last in and damaged by the dealer after they said that extra care would be taken to do the job properly.

#37 ·
Mine is on the list as well.

Outstanding recall found

There's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall on TOYOTA GT86 *******. The vehicle has been recalled since at least 2 November 2018.

Contact a TOYOTA dealership to arrange for repairs.

If you've had the recalled component repaired recently, it can take up to three weeks for the manufacturer to update their records.
it probably won't take them 12 hours labour to do this, so dealers are going to be making a killing. I hear the FA20 is one of the easiest engines to remove, almost as easy as the boxer in the classic Beetle.

I hope they will be offering some kind of extended warranty before the dealer cracks open the engine though...

#54 ·
I'm guessing that if there is a problem and someone has an accident, a fatal for example, because of an engine letting go due to a known issue they would be up for a huge claim against them. Once they know of a potentially serious problem they can't just wait for it to happen as the lawyers/courts would have a field day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.