Gone a bit mental on sound. - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By mayhems
  • 1 Post By mayhems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 02:06 Thread Starter

Gone a bit mental on sound.

Well i bought my self a second GT86 (2016 Aero Model) with 420 miles on the clock (yes 2020 and bought a 2016 with 420 miles on the clock! no j/k.
Had to capture the moment on pick up.

I all ready own the blue edition but got a bargain i think for the second model (long story short was supposed to be for my daughter passing her test until they suddenly increased the quote on insurance from 3g to 9g :/) so i've kept it as a second car.

Any way the sound is 100% horrid in the car so decided to go full throttle and replace the entire head unit and sound system of the Aero. (49 years old and never touched a sound system before so feeling like a child right now).

First Parts i got pictured below ... This was the start of my adventure into car audio

• 1 x Toyota GT 86 Car Stereo Double Din Fascia, Wiring Loom, Antenna Fitting Kit
  • 1 x Kenwood DMX8019DABS 7” WVGA Apple Car Play DAB+ Wifi + DRV-N520 Dashboard Camera
  • - Addon Accessories: Kenwood CMOS-230 Camera

I thought that would be enough to quell my thirst (boy was i wrong). The upgrade wasn't as easy as expected with more info on USA systems than UK ones but didn't take long to figure it all out.

However the sound was better, but well lets be honest here, the normal speakers in there are horrendous and road noise is fun for a few miles but for us older drivers it starts getting right on our man boobs..!

Next up i went stuff it i upgrade the speakers.....! (stupidly thinking its a cheap upgrade...) So i got below.

• Focal 100AC Access Series 10cm 4" Coaxial Car Speakers + Stinger Sound Proofing Deadening Sheet - Model: 100AC + RKXSK
  • Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening Mat Roller Tool to Fit Dynamat Silent Coat - Model: RKROLLER2
  • Stinger RKXTK Roadkill Trunk Kit 10 Sheets 12"x 24 20sqft Car Sound Deadening Material - Model: RKXTK
  • Focal IS TOY 165 6.5" 17cm For Toyota Custom Fit Car Speaker & Tweeter Upgrade Kit - Model: IS TOY 165 + RKXSK

When fitting the road kill there was only enough to do 1 door and even then it wasn't enough so had to order more, A lot more.

After fitting it all The sound was much better using the Kenwood head unit but tbh with all the money i spent it just didn't seem mind blowing.... (this is quickly turning into a cocaine addiction). Made my own Fittings for the back seats how ever they are now stainless steel.

So next up I Bought a second hand Fosgate Amp from some one i know and a second 500 watt Mono block amp + sub and Case + wiring ... my god the costs soon mount up, Also ordered 2 x more road kill, thinking if i'm going to do this ill do it to the best of my ability ....

But also bought a Sub

• Stinger SS1200XS 4GA Copper 1200W Complete Wiring Kit - Model: SS1200XS
  • Focal P25FSE Shallow Mount FLAX Evo 10" Single Voice Coil Subwoofer - Model: P25FSE

Also got a base box 15L (ebay £120) for the rear, 16 gauge speaker wire and 16 Gauge front, Rear & Sub AUX cables with twisted pair, shielded with gold plated connectors (all from amazon) £75.00.

Still loads more to do, need to wire up front speakers, need to add a 2 way for power and earth, also fitting a 150 amp fuse (flip switch) but going to change that to a 100 amp. Also upgraded the battery to a 75 amp may change that to a 95 amp. Also not happy with the rear speakers may change them to 6.5" and also going down south this weekend to pick up some second hand rear door cards i can cut up, so that i get full flow from 6.5" speakers when i order them. Starting to think this was a big mistake cost wise but in all honesty the sounds it making right now are pretty amazing. The car does feel a lot more heavier when driving but i have sound deaden everything in the car.

The car is also going in for a warp on Monday and is nicked named Marmite (you'll see why once the wrap is completed).

Im still working on the build so will update soon...
BRZ and FRAJ like this.

Last edited by mayhems; 14th November 2020 at 20:52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 20:17
Groupie

Ahh. Bitten by the bug. You probably donít need to upgrade the battery to be honest. Iíve had 1000W running off a 65Ah for quite a while.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 20:34
Groupie

420 from new whats the story?

Be interesting to here your thoughts on the difference between the two cars in stock form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 20:59 Thread Starter

Well The Stock Aero is oky, a bit bouncy on the roads, Cannot see the Speedo when running in the day time, do not like the missing steering wheel controls.

I like the blue edition probably a tad more (how ever have olins fitted and 18" fitted as well and lowerd the car) with the LCD and steering wheel controls make me happy..

Black one is getting wrapped Monday and named "Marmite" you'll see why after its been wrapped.
Blue called "Christine" as she tried to kill me 2 times with the standard tires and 17" wheels, 4 days later they were off and 18 with PS4 fitted.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 23:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhems View Post
Cannot see the Speedo when running in the day time
Very odd.... do you have the lights on all the time (as per the photo) as this should make the cluster dimmer for low light? And if so, have you adjusted the brightness of the cluster at all? Not something that I've ever heard of or suffered from. The cluster is easy to read at all times.

.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 15th November 2020, 12:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Very odd.... do you have the lights on all the time (as per the photo) as this should make the cluster dimmer for low light? And if so, have you adjusted the brightness of the cluster at all? Not something that I've ever heard of or suffered from. The cluster is easy to read at all times.
I have them on auto and the only time i see the cluster properly is when the lights go on when its darker. Not adjusted the dimming they are set to high.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 15th November 2020, 12:18 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
420 from new whats the story?
Guy bought it, rode it for a few weeks, had a crash in his other car did his back in!!! . GT86 then stood on front for 4 years and wife told him to get rid ..... He was still paying off the fiance on it so i cleared the fiance + some extra.

Hit Leet in it yesterday while going down south to pick up some Rear door panels.
Kaviar likes this.

Last edited by mayhems; 15th November 2020 at 12:26.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st November 2020, 01:31 Thread Starter

Cars audio been on hold for a totally outrageous / crazy "Marmite" wrap to suit my personality.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page