Well i bought my self a second GT86 (2016 Aero Model) with 420 miles on the clock (yes 2020 and bought a 2016 with 420 miles on the clock! no j/k.
Had to capture the moment on pick up.
I all ready own the blue edition but got a bargain i think for the second model (long story short was supposed to be for my daughter passing her test until they suddenly increased the quote on insurance from 3g to 9g :/) so i've kept it as a second car.
Any way the sound is 100% horrid in the car so decided to go full throttle and replace the entire head unit and sound system of the Aero. (49 years old and never touched a sound system before so feeling like a child right now).
First Parts i got pictured below ... This was the start of my adventure into car audio
- 1 x Toyota GT 86 Car Stereo Double Din Fascia, Wiring Loom, Antenna Fitting Kit
- 1 x Kenwood DMX8019DABS 7” WVGA Apple Car Play DAB+ Wifi + DRV-N520 Dashboard Camera
- - Addon Accessories: Kenwood CMOS-230 Camera
I thought that would be enough to quell my thirst (boy was i wrong). The upgrade wasn't as easy as expected with more info on USA systems than UK ones but didn't take long to figure it all out.
However the sound was better, but well lets be honest here, the normal speakers in there are horrendous and road noise is fun for a few miles but for us older drivers it starts getting right on our man boobs..!
Next up i went stuff it i upgrade the speakers.....! (stupidly thinking its a cheap upgrade...) So i got below.
- Focal 100AC Access Series 10cm 4" Coaxial Car Speakers + Stinger Sound Proofing Deadening Sheet - Model: 100AC + RKXSK
- Stinger Roadkill Sound Deadening Mat Roller Tool to Fit Dynamat Silent Coat - Model: RKROLLER2
- Stinger RKXTK Roadkill Trunk Kit 10 Sheets 12"x 24 20sqft Car Sound Deadening Material - Model: RKXTK
- Focal IS TOY 165 6.5" 17cm For Toyota Custom Fit Car Speaker & Tweeter Upgrade Kit - Model: IS TOY 165 + RKXSK
When fitting the road kill there was only enough to do 1 door and even then it wasn't enough so had to order more, A lot more.
After fitting it all The sound was much better using the Kenwood head unit but tbh with all the money i spent it just didn't seem mind blowing.... (this is quickly turning into a cocaine addiction). Made my own Fittings for the back seats how ever they are now stainless steel.
So next up I Bought a second hand Fosgate Amp from some one i know and a second 500 watt Mono block amp + sub and Case + wiring ... my god the costs soon mount up, Also ordered 2 x more road kill, thinking if i'm going to do this ill do it to the best of my ability ....
But also bought a Sub
- Stinger SS1200XS 4GA Copper 1200W Complete Wiring Kit - Model: SS1200XS
- Focal P25FSE Shallow Mount FLAX Evo 10" Single Voice Coil Subwoofer - Model: P25FSE
Also got a base box 15L (ebay £120) for the rear, 16 gauge speaker wire and 16 Gauge front, Rear & Sub AUX cables with twisted pair, shielded with gold plated connectors (all from amazon) £75.00.
Still loads more to do, need to wire up front speakers, need to add a 2 way for power and earth, also fitting a 150 amp fuse (flip switch) but going to change that to a 100 amp. Also upgraded the battery to a 75 amp may change that to a 95 amp. Also not happy with the rear speakers may change them to 6.5" and also going down south this weekend to pick up some second hand rear door cards i can cut up, so that i get full flow from 6.5" speakers when i order them. Starting to think this was a big mistake cost wise but in all honesty the sounds it making right now are pretty amazing. The car does feel a lot more heavier when driving but i have sound deaden everything in the car.
The car is also going in for a warp on Monday and is nicked named Marmite (you'll see why once the wrap is completed).
Im still working on the build so will update soon...