JW191 Custom Audio Build Log. - Page 5 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 28th December 2018, 20:27

So glad, would love to see it in the flesh......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 28th December 2018, 20:40 Thread Starter
Groupie

Itís a shame youíre 120 miles away, but if weíre ever in the same place at the same time...

16\' Black, Leather, Custom Audio Install, Nav, Heated Seats,
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 28th December 2018, 20:53

Yes it is......cool will keep an eye on things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 10th August 2019, 16:13 Thread Starter
Groupie

Small update, installed the Hertz HRC Subwoofer remote today. Fits nicely in the coin tray in the front. Great little addition; should have installed it from the start. Straightforward to install, just one wire to run. The hardest bit was removing the start button panel. YouTube to the rescue.

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 20th April 2020, 18:20 Thread Starter
Groupie

Started experimenting today with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NH58CCX

It has an optical out which Iíve fed directly into the DSP, bypassing the stock HU all together. From a quick test it sounds nice and crisp as you would expect; Iím sure itís an improvement on the stock HU, however hard to tell by how much without comparing at the same time.

However:
1) It has a battery which last 25Hrs (according to the website) but needs to be charged. It charges off USB so needs 5V. I could use a cigarette adapter but that sounds messy. After it shuts down due to low battery, I assume it doesnít turn itself on again automatically when connected to power. As it really needs to be in the boot where the DSP is, thatís a problem. If it is to be a permanent, I might need to build a little relay circuit which switches on a USB power supply, then after a short period of time switches the unit on.
2) As it bypasses the head unit, you have to tell the DSP to switch source from HL in to Optical in. The DSPs remote keypad is in the glove box so that isnít convenient. Might need to move that if this is permanent.
3) Bypassing the HU means no speed cameral alerts, and no sat nave audio (I use google maps anyway) - I can live with that
4) Volume can only be controlled on the source device; in this case my phone. Limited to the 16 volume increments. Not ideal, but I can probably live with that.

Havenít decided if it will be a permanent fixture yet, but it is fun to experiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5128ZV1pLbL._AC_SL1000_.jpg (32.7 KB, 6 views)

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 26th April 2020, 02:40

Quote:
It has a battery which last 25Hrs
Pretty nice capacity of the battery.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 26th April 2020, 12:57 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis5QM View Post
Pretty nice capacity of the battery.
25Hrs is good if thatís what you get in practice. Thatís what Amazon said anyway.

Noticed another quirk; when it powers on there is a Ďclickí though the signal. Not sure why as itís optical. As the signal goes straight into the DSP /amp with no volume attenuation its loud! Workaround is to switch on the receiver before the ignition / amp. This would make integrating it neatly into a permanent setup even more tricky.

For now, it sits on the back seat and I turn it off / on manually. The clarity and range is a decent improvement from using the stock HU high level feed. Got me looking at replacement HUís again but they would require Digital >> Analogue >> Digital >> Analogue again, so while more convenient than this £30 solution, probably wonít sound quite as good.

post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 27th April 2020, 18:21

jw191, okay I got you. Maybe it's all about comparisons, cause I have mostly compared it to headphones. Recently have been comparing Beats Solo Pro vs Beats EP ( found article here: https://headphonesarena.com/headphon...solo-pro-vs-ep ), and those hours that you have noticed is a pretty nice capacity for headphones, of course. Especially counting energy-saving technologies, you know.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 27th April 2020, 21:30 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis5QM View Post
jw191, okay I got you. Maybe it's all about comparisons, cause I have mostly compared it to headphones. Recently have been comparing Beats Solo Pro vs Beats EP ( found article here: https://headphonesarena.com/headphon...solo-pro-vs-ep ), and those hours that you have noticed is a pretty nice capacity for headphones, of course. Especially counting energy-saving technologies, you know.
Yep. Your headphones have to drive audio drivers whereas this little unit just has to drive an optical circuit

post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 19:54 Thread Starter
Groupie

Finally got around to making a short video

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page