Bodywork scratch - what to do? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 1st March 2020, 20:54 Thread Starter

Garage
Bodywork scratch - what to do?

So, I’ve had my new car all of 2 days and already got a scratch/chips in the passenger door.

Noticed it when giving it a wash earlier to get rid of all of the salt it picked up on the motorway yesterday. Looks like someone’s opened their door against my car - but instead of a small scratch that will buff out, I’ve ended up with a small line of little chips that have gone right down to metal whoever did it must have really forced their door. I’ll take a pic tomorrow when it’s light out again.

So, what to do? I live right out in west Cumbria so there’s not a lot of repair spots out here other than proper bodyshops that will quote for the whole door most likely. I’ve got a tube of T-cut I used once on my old red Aygo but figured an orange GT86 needs a bit more care. Do I try a DIY fix? (And any recommended). Leave it, accepting people are going to open doors onto me? (Main concern here is I’m right on the coast and I don’t want the door to start to corrode). Take it to the dealer and see what they say? I don’t necessarily need it to look perfect just not as obvious and want to protect the metal it’s gone down to, even if it’s just sealing up the scratch neatly.

And I’ll be choosing my parking spaces carefully from now on

Edit - sent my other half out to check and photo for me as he’s still dressed and I’m in my PJs! It’s not as bad I remember it being earlier actually (maybe I am just touchy because it’s so new) but still needs some attention. You can see it’s more a line of small chips: https://imgur.com/Gbgy0Qo

Last edited by Charlieepie; 1st March 2020 at 21:12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 1st March 2020, 21:54
Groupie

Garage
It does look like a few little pot marks rather than scratches. I would think you should certainly be able to get away with just getting some touch up paint and painting them in. Get a very fine brush (I recently got a pack of 10 for something like £3 from a well known internet auction site) as the brushes that come with the touch up paint are a bit hit and miss.

A very fine paint brush and a steady hand and I think you'd be hard pressed to see those marks.

White GT86 Aero
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 1st March 2020, 22:05 Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah - Iíve used touch up paint before on the old car. It was for the edges of the doors though as I managed to open my own door onto the side of the house - so neatness wasnít a priority just a quick lick of paint to seal it up.
Iím a bit nervous about painting it myself but maybe with a fine brush and taking a bit of time Iíll be alright. Just a bottle of touch up or a kit? I was looking at Chipex but theyíre not cheap (though if they work thatís not an issue!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 1st March 2020, 22:31
Groupie

I think the colour and top coat from Toyota is around £14 in total. It was a while back I picked mine up though.

If it's a small chip, something like a cocktail stick is a great way to apply a small mount of paint.
AMMO NYC did a good video on this. He suggested using a hole puncher, on some fine sandpaper to create some small sanding pads. He then glued one of these to the end of a pencil with a built in eraser. The idea being it's only a small surface area of abrasive material and the rubber helps you control the contact patch.

It sounds mad but his work is awesome.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 1st March 2020, 23:17
Groupie

I used Chipex on my previous GT86 and found the kit really good for filling in little chips, perfect colour match on my red car.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 10:32 Thread Starter

Garage
I might try the Chipex kit then unless anyone has a horror story for me. I have the odd stone chip here and there on the front end too so can try and sort it all out. Though reading more posts on here, theyíre pretty common with such a low car. Thereís a recently resurfaced road near me Iíll definitely be avoiding!
Tony H likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 10:35
Expert

Good luck trying to find a 'safe' parking spot - that's a perennial topic on here. Park in a remote spot in the car park, come out of the supermarket and it's surrounded by door-bangers! It's almost like you've inspired them to park there...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 12:04 Thread Starter

Garage
At work too by the looks of it - parked in as empty an area as I could find this morning and just had a peek out the window to find a works van has parked next to me..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 15:13

Embrace it! I was also the same when I first got the car. However now it's got a few scratches (especially under the front bumper due to speed bumps/low kerbs), a slight case of kerb rash on 2 of the alloys and a lovely white paint transfer mark about 1 inch across on the drivers side where someone has caught my car with their door.

Consider them war wounds, it adds character!
martinwood333 likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 18:43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Zenith View Post
Embrace it! I was also the same when I first got the car. However now it's got a few scratches (especially under the front bumper due to speed bumps/low kerbs), a slight case of kerb rash on 2 of the alloys and a lovely white paint transfer mark about 1 inch across on the drivers side where someone has caught my car with their door.

Consider them war wounds, it adds character!
This! My car has it's fair share of scuffs and marks... it's a 2013 model and a daily driver seeing LOTS of motorway miles, and also partly because the previous owner didn't seem to give a hoot, unfortunately. I like a car that looks like it's being well driven and enjoyed, especially cars like these which may very well have been tracked a few times.

It's also worth bearing in mind... other people who look at your car aren't going to be inspecting the paintwork up close, in the same way you do as the owner Despite all the marks my car has, take a step back, and they aren't visible. However it goes without saying that any chips that go down to the metal should be touched up to avoid rust... which would be noticeable unfortunately

As for parking... end-of-row spaces are your/my/everyone's friend!

JESS! What were you thinking, man?

Last edited by martinwood333; 2nd March 2020 at 18:46.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page