Bodywork scratch - what to do? - Page 3 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 7th September 2020, 10:56 Thread Starter

Garage
Thatís pretty much what Iím trying to avoid though.
I love my car and I want to keep it in good condition but struggling to see the value in getting all the chips professionally repaired when the next time I drive it down a country road itíll get more stone chips...

Definitely looking at getting my tiny dent sorted though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 7th September 2020, 11:57

Garage
Crikey, yeah I'm forever filling in small stone chips. There's no avoiding them. A touch-up pen/brush is all you need. The leading edge of the bonnet, the roof and the windscreen tend to be the worst points for me. The front bumper is particularly prone to road rash too. The reality is, the only way to avoid chips and dents (especially if you do a lot of motorway driving and daily drive it like me) is to keep the car locked away in a garage under a tarp and don't drive it... which defeats the purpose!

The thin lightweight body panels dent if you so much as look at them funny. I have a number of shallow dents aswell, but aren't crazy noticeable and you need to look for them, but yeah they still bother me aswell. I might get a couple of them pulled eventually.

If you do get a PDR guy to sort that small dent out for you, post up the result. I'm always impressed by the work they do

JESS! What were you thinking, man?

Last edited by martinwood333; 7th September 2020 at 12:05.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 7th September 2020, 12:22
Groupie

If you use the car youíll be spending hundreds of pounds every year if you get every chip and minor ding professionally repaired. Avoid resprays and smart repairs unless damage is significant. Paint match is rarely perfect or perfectly applied and you are more likely to have problems with paint on those panels in the future. PDR is a good option however youíre typically looking at £50+ per dent. It will be even more expensive if you have them repaired as you go, rather than waiting until you have a few.

That fender ding might be difficult for a PDR guy; looks quite sharp, and theyíll need access behind. Looks like the paint is damaged as well. Pls share the results if you get it sorted. My first choice would be PDR + small Chipex touch up. If PDR canít remove, I donít think Iíd pay a bodyshop to sort it. They will add filler, and probably respray across the wing, fender garnish, bonnet, door and window pillar. I would much rather live with the small ding and touch up the chip if itís gone through.

I would touch up all chips on metal panels as soon as you can as they do start to rust if you leave them. Chipex is pretty good if applied carefully. Donít touch up rusty spots without treating Rust first, even if it looks minor. The door chips just need a small touch up.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 13th September 2020, 15:35 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw191 View Post
If you use the car youíll be spending hundreds of pounds every year if you get every chip and minor ding professionally repaired. Avoid resprays and smart repairs unless damage is significant. Paint match is rarely perfect or perfectly applied and you are more likely to have problems with paint on those panels in the future. PDR is a good option however youíre typically looking at £50+ per dent. It will be even more expensive if you have them repaired as you go, rather than waiting until you have a few.

That fender ding might be difficult for a PDR guy; looks quite sharp, and theyíll need access behind. Looks like the paint is damaged as well. Pls share the results if you get it sorted. My first choice would be PDR + small Chipex touch up. If PDR canít remove, I donít think Iíd pay a bodyshop to sort it. They will add filler, and probably respray across the wing, fender garnish, bonnet, door and window pillar. I would much rather live with the small ding and touch up the chip if itís gone through.

I would touch up all chips on metal panels as soon as you can as they do start to rust if you leave them. Chipex is pretty good if applied carefully. Donít touch up rusty spots without treating Rust first, even if it looks minor. The door chips just need a small touch up.

Good luck.

Slight update on the ding - used a bit of Scratch X on it today and itís totally cleared up, as I suspected the little spot in the middle was the other carís paint not mine. No damage to my paint at all!
Looks a lot better even with just the spot removed, having a bit of trouble finding a PDR guy up here (West coast of Cumbria...) so for the minute itís getting left as it is (still looking though as I would like to get it smoothed out). It is sharp - it looks like someoneís just pressed a needle into it and dented it. Definitely not worth a full body shop job though - I used to drive a red Aygo which I scratched (not even dented) 2 panels on and I was charged an eye watering amount to repair...

As for small stone chips, I usually fill them in myself as soon as theyíre done to avoid rust. Iíve found Chipex paint to be a half decent match and although Iím no pro (you can still see thereís been chips...) it works as decent protection.
martinwood333 likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 14th September 2020, 19:47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieepie View Post
Slight update on the ding - used a bit of Scratch X on it today and it’s totally cleared up, as I suspected the little spot in the middle was the other car’s paint not mine. No damage to my paint at all!
Looks a lot better even with just the spot removed, having a bit of trouble finding a PDR guy up here (West coast of Cumbria...) so for the minute it’s getting left as it is (still looking though as I would like to get it smoothed out). It is sharp - it looks like someone’s just pressed a needle into it and dented it. Definitely not worth a full body shop job though - I used to drive a red Aygo which I scratched (not even dented) 2 panels on and I was charged an eye watering amount to repair...

As for small stone chips, I usually fill them in myself as soon as they’re done to avoid rust. I’ve found Chipex paint to be a half decent match and although I’m no pro (you can still see there’s been chips...) it works as decent protection.
Yeah, as long as the small stone chips are filled to prevent rust, they will be largely unnoticeable to general bystanders... not everyone that looks at your car will be inspecting every inch of it like us owners do (thankfully!). I have found that the official Toyota touch up paint can sometimes need redone after a while as it tends to flake off, though that's more likely down to me not prepping the area correctly before hand. Just common sense though to keep topping it up I guess.

The fact the paint on your wing dent is not broken or chipped is excellent news. It makes the prospect of a PDR fix more likely, especially through glue-pulling.

I have a small blemish due to bird droppings on the arch above the passenger door. Whilst I was having my bonnet resprayed, I enquired about it getting fixed aswell. They don't advise a "smart" repair on such an area as blending the new lacquer with the old can be problematic... this is why they strip and respray panels as a whole, which is another reason it can be so expensive. In my case they would have to strip and respray the entire side of the car. I decided to make my peace with it

JESS! What were you thinking, man?

Last edited by martinwood333; 14th September 2020 at 19:49.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page