Anyone tried RainX screen wash - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil White

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 00:13 Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone tried RainX screen wash

I bought a couple of bottles of this to try. Turns out its an expensive product to use. After reading the instructions a full bottle should be added to about 5 litres of water. Not sure what the GT86 screen wash reservoir holds but i reckon its going to cost about £8.00 to fill it up.

2015 GT86 Auto, Valenti Tail Lights. Fensport Rear Splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 09:34
Ade
Guru

Garage
I use and like spray on rain X but if the screenwash version is anything like as chemical then I wouldn't want to put it in my wash bottle!

I use autoglym screenwash and its amazballs

Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 10:43
Groupie

Not tried it Phil, I use Rain-x on side and rear but haven't liked anything on the windscreen for years, as i found wipers jumping to be a real pain when its applied. Perhaps they have improved the formula or its slighlty different in the screenwash?

I use the Autoglym too as its likely to be safe on polish/wax on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 10:45

Garage
I'm all for products like this, but with this one, all I can say is AVOID! The stuff you spray on your windscreen is fine, but the fluid you add to your washer reservoir coats your whole system and eventually fragments, coagulates, and blocks your outlets/sprayers. I'm not sure if it was a reaction with the Halfords screen wash I initially used it with, though I still had it happen even after switching to Prestone. It's almost as if it coagulates the screenwash into a jelly-like substance.

This was on my 2014 Kia Soul, so your mileage may vary with the GT86, but I personally wouldn't try it after my experience.

JESS! What were you thinking, man?

Last edited by martinwood333; 27th February 2019 at 10:57.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 21:59 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwood333 View Post
I'm all for products like this, but with this one, all I can say is AVOID! The stuff you spray on your windscreen is fine, but the fluid you add to your washer reservoir coats your whole system and eventually fragments, coagulates, and blocks your outlets/sprayers. I'm not sure if it was a reaction with the Halfords screen wash I initially used it with, though I still had it happen even after switching to Prestone. It's almost as if it coagulates the screenwash into a jelly-like substance.

This was on my 2014 Kia Soul, so your mileage may vary with the GT86, but I personally wouldn't try it after my experience.
I need to clean out my screen wash reservoir anyway as the Tesco screen was has gone like jelly and blocked the filter, i will get it on the ramp after i finish MOT testing on Saturday and remove the washer pump and give the system a good rinse out.

I will try one bottle of RainX additive and see how it goes. I will dilute it to twice what the instructions say and see how it goes.
martinwood333 likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 20:13

Its better to just put a window coating on it. Rain x doesnt last so long. CarPro has an easy to use window coating. apply once and enjoy for about a year instead of about a month.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th May 2019, 09:34
GT86 Senior

Apparently rince aid works quite well.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2019, 19:58
Expert

Garage
I've been using it for about month, was pre-mixed. Seems to work well enough and to a point makes the windsreen hydrophobic, but not as much as applyng Rain-X directly to your screen. Overall though pretty pleased with it. I suppose at £8 for 5 litres it's a fair bit more expensive than Halfords own at around a fiver.

2013 GT86 White, Bespoke TEIN Street Flex EDFC Active Pro, fully poly bushed, SPA rear lower arms. Injen Induction, TD EL manifold, Milltek over pipe, decatted, TD resonated exhaust and decat pipe. AP 4-pots BBK. TE37's, mega sound system.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 07:36 Thread Starter

Garage
I did clean out the screen wash tank and blew the pipes and jets through with compressed air, the filter in the pump was blocked and was easily cleaned and after fully flushing out with cold water and applied Rain x screen wash and all is well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page