Engine rebuild recommendations? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:04 Thread Starter

Engine rebuild recommendations?

Long time lurker (sorry) with a problem.

My engine is "kaput" to use the phrasing of local garage. Had emergency shutdown engine light last week and I dropped off expecting diagnosis of big end knocking and wasn't disappointed.

The garage aren't interested in dealing with a boxer engine (kind of wish they had said that when I dropped the car off) - does anyone have recommendations for engine rebuilder around Brighton or East Sussex area? It's going to be a third party warranty claim so it will have to be boring with no go fast bits (yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:27

What age is it? Have you had the valve spring recall done?

An old silver Toyota. Valenti rear lights, Milltek cat back, Tein Flex Z coilovers.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:37 Thread Starter

Yep, sorry...

2013. Recall done at start of this year (before I purchased the car).

I purchased through independent dealer and so has third party warranty that specifies no main dealer work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:43
Expert

I think they are a little far out from you but Abbey Motorsports would be my choice, experts with this car.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:47

Work on the recall is covered for a year as far as I know.
Whether that transfers to a new owner I'm not sure, though it may save you a lot of money if you contact Toyota.

That is if it has failed due to the recall work, some have.

An old silver Toyota. Valenti rear lights, Milltek cat back, Tein Flex Z coilovers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 11:52 Thread Starter

So given the warranty, it shouldn't cost me anything (~50 excess). If it is because of the recall work, that would require diagnosis following strip down. For me, it's the same outcome anyway maybe?

@ Matt - thanks for the recommendation. I had seen them and was considering if there is anyone closer before just calling.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 12:03

Some warranties have a maximum spend limit/Hourly labour rate. Something I came across when I claimed for the timing gear on my RCZ, I had to stump up 500.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 12:07 Thread Starter

Right. Good information. Will need to check it out. I called them (warranty group) to ask precisely the conditions and if it was "100% cover" and they confirmed. But I guess that always excludes small print...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 18:28
Expert

Garage
Sorry to hear this Wroseboom. Another vote for Abbey. Wishing you luck with your claim.

Black GT86 owned 7+ years and modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map. Also, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler, shark fin, Intec brake light, Valentis.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2020, 18:50
Groupie

Garage
Abbey are a good shout but a bit closer to home i'd give the guys at Golding Barn Garage a ring.

They're fairly local to me based just outside henfield but alot of their workload is dealing with Porsches these days so i'm sure they're fairly used to boxers.
I'd give them a ring and see what they say.

Project 4k86: Rocket bunny V2 kitted GT86 Equipped with Air Ride Suspension, Work wheels, Big brakes and one day an LS3!
Check out my project thread for the revival of my GT86 which had been written off by the previous owner, a.k.a Project 4kGT86:

https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/for...back-dead.html

Use my Discount code for Whiteline, just use code "WL2033" on the Whiteline store to Save 20 your first order when spending 150 or more!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page