GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

ECU Tek options - Racerom

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Kodename47 
#1 ·
A question for the tuning experts on here -

What are the four best modes to configure on the ECU Tek if one is going for a new manifold. In my head after all permutations, i feel the best can be:

1. Premium fuel, regular OE throttle, full performance map. Remove CEL, Keep high idle on cold start up but reduce to 1000 RPM. No racerom features.
2. Premium/high octane fuel, sensitive throttle, All racerom features (full throttle with launch control, auto blip, flat foot shift), remove high idle on cold start up
3. Regular/low octane fuel map. No racerom features.
4. OE map, in case one decides to go back to Original manifold.

Now on Racerom features itself:
1. Launch control - thinking of 2750 RPM preset as primacies don't have more traction than that.
2. Auto Blip to activate above 25 MPH
3. Set per gear rev limiter and have it at 6K RPM for first gear and 7700 RPM for the rest
4. Oil under and over temp warnings- Not sure what to set and how it works.

Will be good to get all your thoughts on it especially our resident tuning expert [MENTION=60]Kodename47[/MENTION]

See less See more
#4 ·
When I had my manifold installed at Abbey, I went with the setup Mark recommended:

1. Softened throttle map, no RaceROM features.
2. Normal throttle map, no RaceROM features.
3. Normal throttle map, RaceROM features (auto-blip and flat foot shifting - didn't bother with launch control).
4. Low octane map, should only really be used in an emergency should I ever get caught out and not have access to premium fuel.

Aside from (4), the performance is the same in all modes, and the cold start idle has been mapped out entirely. I also asked Mark to map out the hard rev limiter. I pretty much use mode (2) exclusively - I sometimes use (3) when out for a drive as the auto-blip function is nice, but to be honest, I like to practice doing it myself.

#5 ·
A question for the tuning experts on here -

What are the four best modes to configure on the ECU Tek if one is going for a new manifold. In my head after all permutations, i feel the best can be:

1. Premium fuel, regular OE throttle, full performance map. Remove CEL, Keep high idle on cold start up but reduce to 1000 RPM. No racerom features.
2. Premium/high octane fuel, sensitive throttle, All racerom features (full throttle with launch control, auto blip, flat foot shift), remove high idle on cold start up
3. Regular/low octane fuel map. No racerom features.
4. OE map, in case one decides to go back to Original manifold.

Now on Racerom features itself:
1. Launch control - thinking of 2750 RPM preset as primacies don't have more traction than that.
2. Auto Blip to activate above 25 MPH
3. Set per gear rev limiter and have it at 6K RPM for first gear and 7700 RPM for the rest
4. Oil under and over temp warnings- Not sure what to set and how it works.

Will be good to get all your thoughts on it especially our resident tuning expert @Kodename47

1.Launch control is adjustable in ecutek, and it remembers last setting.

so best just leave the initial at 4000, then just adjust it to your preference and it will remember setting. you might not always have premacies.

you could run launch on all maps its rearly not intrusive.

2. Auto blip yeah about 40 kmh and 2500 rpm are reasnoble initial setting. although the autoblip standard setting/timing need a bit of work from standard ecutek settings. Auto blip can be intrusive so you may want to only switch it on in some maps.

3. oil over/under temp all you can rearly do as a warning is activate the CEL light this will be annoying. just get tuner to set up throttle limit of say 40% max until oil get up to temp and say 25% if oil goes over preset limit.

4. Throttle mapping adjustment ive never found it very usefull unless your setting up a low power valet type map. id just leave it alone.

5. Flat foot shift works well for drags, but it needs some better settings than ecutek standard ones its a little hard on clutch in standard form.

6. rev limits , just get tuner to set up soft limiter instead of standard fuel cut harsh limiter, then just pick a rev limit your happy with and stick to that one.

7. you could have different maps for different octane fuels, but the maps will be optimisied for catless header/manifold cam timings. The oem manifold would not work to well on those cam timings, and its not rearly possible to switch in entire intake/exhaust cam maps on the different map modes. they rearly only switch ignition timing and fuel maps.

#8 ·
I generally wouldn't bother with a low octane map. If you find lower quality fuel, don't drive it hard. Or do 99 / 97 maps and know that 95 will not be as bad on a 97 map. You also can't have cold start on/off on different modes as that's not on the switchable part of the maps. Also not sure why you'd want a lower RPM limit in 1st?

I've added a true Eco mode to my main road map, that is useful as I've managed to get 3-4 mpg improvements when cruising.

My default settings are:
1. Road map
2. Track/Aggressive map

That's all I use. Things like FFS and launch can be enabled on any mode as you have to actively use them, so doesn't matter. It's only auto-blip that you could possibly trigger by accident. I also find that CEL based warnings are annoying as hard to trust when due to map or an actual fault. You can use oil temp to limit power at high and/or low values if desired.

For best results I would just have it setup with whatever the chosen tuner is happy to configured.

#9 ·
Thank you Steve. For the eco mode/Road map, what changes have you made?
For other racerom features, i understand, they come on only in a specific scenario but for Auto Blip, i do not want to get it going in slow, city start stop'ish traffic or in parking lot slow downs though the speed threshold should negate this scenario.

First gear is really only used for launches and regular cold starts. There is a good chance of a cold engine when putting onto first, so i just want to be very conservative.

#10 ·
Auto-Blip and FFS are set to 50km/h by default.

I'm afraid I can't really share what I did for the Eco mode, except for the fact it targets a more desirable (read leaner) AFR than the ECU normally allows.

You could argue that a higher RPM limit in 1st could be desirable as you're in the higher RPM for less time but makes you less likely to hit the limiter. Just manually keep the revs down when cold (there's a temp dial on the dash ;)) or get some form of temperature related power limiter. My car's rev limit increases as the oil temps go up as well as limiting how much power I can use until it's fully warm and then will do the same in reverse for high oil temps.

#12 ·
Thank you. Not expecting your trade secrets. A hint is sufficient to experiment or leave it. [emoji2]
Lower rpm limit on a cold engine/ low oil temp. is definitely something I will want to get done..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
If you want all the guages and alarms its probably easier/cheaper to just get the ecutek blutooth interface, if your already running ecutek.

you can get the gauge faces to change color for low high and running temps. Im using Blue for low temps,green for normal and red for high. you can get gauge to flash red or whole screen to flash on an over temp or abnormal situation.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.