P*xy gear lever rattle - Page 8 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 12th May 2020, 11:25

Update on my fix: the O-ring lasted for 30 miles and the rattle is back! I will try to put a bigger one so see if it helps. If it doesn't help I will try the reverse lockout but £100 is steep!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 12th May 2020, 21:12

I also slipped a couple of o rings around the split pin too to dampen the washer from the outer side. Big success for me was the reverse lifter - game-changer!
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 13th May 2020, 07:52

Thanks for the tip Andy. I have ordered a bigger OD O-ring and I will add some between the split pin and the washer as my car spends a lot of time above 5000rpm and it's driving me insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 13th May 2020, 10:15

Not sure if I ever mentioned on here or not but I actually decided to move the oring to the other side of the shifter as I was still sometime hearing it very faintly.
This meant sliding the shifter pin out of the shifter completely, putting the oring over it and then putting the shifter pin back through the shifter.

I never heard it again at all after this. If changing the lockout fixed it then I think it means that for you, the spring clip/washer was not the cause of the rattle.
There is a fix for that somewhere that involves PTFE tape around the lockout area to give it a more snug fit on the shaft... This was my first point of call and made no difference as obviously the source of my noise was not this part.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 13th May 2020, 13:22
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebarog View Post
Not sure if I ever mentioned on here or not but I actually decided to move the oring to the other side of the shifter as I was still sometime hearing it very faintly.
This meant sliding the shifter pin out of the shifter completely, putting the oring over it and then putting the shifter pin back through the shifter.

I never heard it again at all after this. If changing the lockout fixed it then I think it means that for you, the spring clip/washer was not the cause of the rattle.
There is a fix for that somewhere that involves PTFE tape around the lockout area to give it a more snug fit on the shaft... This was my first point of call and made no difference as obviously the source of my noise was not this part.
It seems like the whole assembly has some areas where the tolerances are just large enough for them to cause vibration and certain resonances, so some people are experiencing it slightly differently.

So far, the original o-ring solution (on the washer by the split pin) seems to be holding up for me. Still no noise that I can hear.

post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 13th May 2020, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebarog View Post

What difference would it make in your opinion? I got much bigger O-rings (30mm OD) in the mail hoping that they will last longer as I went through 1mm of rubber very quickly. I will be putting some O-rings between the split pin and factory washer hoping to further silence it. I can't imagine they let it go into production like that!!
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 13th May 2020, 20:11
Groupie

I order the recommended size a while back but still haven't fitted them. Now seems like an opportune time to give it a go. I might order one of the multi packs from Amazon/eBay as the lockout clicking when shifting from 3rd to 4th is quite loud!

post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 21st May 2020, 20:39

Luke's fix suggests the collars in the base of the shift lever wear over time. There's a Subaru TSB on the internet about this for early cars but, if the shift wears on later cars, it may be an area to revisit from time to time.

It's a shame that I've almost eliminated the rattle on my 2017 model but not quite. It IS a lot better but, occasionally, it's still there...
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2020, 15:12
Groupie

I didnít get round to fitting an o-ring; theyíre still sat on my desk!

Iíve just fitted a Raceseng reverse lockout and went for a quick 10 mile drive. No rattle for now. Iím not not sure if the lockout has stopped it or if hammering the pin out moved something. Perhaps on a temporary fix. Will report back if it returns.

16\' Black, Leather, Custom Audio Install, Nav, Heated Seats,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page