Staggered tyre set up - 225 instead of 215 - Page 2 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 17:30
Administrator

I'm surprised you have this issue. When cold I can agree, but I've found the Assy.5 pretty unflappable in the warm, not tried a launch but a rolling 1/2/3 pull gives no slip. Still getting used to the step up in grip from the Primacys, where I could cause get it to slip between shifts. If you need the grip, go square setup IMO, so new wheels to suit a 225/235 option, but perhaps this is something else, like geometry, as others have said

.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 17:48

Garage
A nice little review of UHP tyres if sticking with the standard wheel size

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 23:34 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchi View Post
A nice little review of UHP tyres if sticking with the standard wheel size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_utfLrFaOM&t=637s
This is what led me to deciding on the current Goodyears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I'm surprised you have this issue. When cold I can agree, but I've found the Assy.5 pretty unflappable in the warm, not tried a launch but a rolling 1/2/3 pull gives no slip. Still getting used to the step up in grip from the Primacys, where I could cause get it to slip between shifts. If you need the grip, go square setup IMO, so new wheels to suit a 225/235 option, but perhaps this is something else, like geometry, as others have said
I was trying to do a 0-100 so from stationary, so not rolling but happened across the gears. I will try again with TC off. The alignment was done when i got the tyres about 6 mths ago, so i will not expect that to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
P.S. For less tail happy car i suggest two things. Better grippier tire model then simply going wider, and also add in alignment a bit more rear toe-in (well evened out at that).
I do have quality tyres (Goodyear Asy 5) for OE size and 2 degree rear toe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will300 View Post
If I was you, I'd look at getting a set of (atleast) 8" wide wheels and runnning a 225/45 tyre on them. I know several other SC member's are running this size without issue.
A 225/45 tyre won't affect the playfulness of the car and should give you that extra bit of grip without sacrificing turn in / sidewall flex when fitted on the wider wheel.

Now's a good time to order Michelin Pilot Sport 4's as they have money off at the moment.
Thanks Will. Was wanting to conserve some cash in this economic climate and hence looking for some cost effective options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 07:16
Expert

BRZ: i highly doubt you have 2 degree toe-in, car would have been nearly undriveable if so with insane toe wear. If camber is ok to change in degrees, toe is adjusted with less then tenhs of degree, and difference already often can be easily felt. For example my rear toe-in is ~ +0.12dg each wheel, 0.25 total.
I'm rather thinking that measurement unit in your case is in "mm" (alignment racks usually can be changed from degree fractions or minutes to inches or mm. Unit imho should be there in printout). You can use online toe calculators like these inches-to-degrees or degrees-to-inches. 2mm(if for each wheel), 0.15748" total toe for 215/45/R17 outer diameter is ~ 24.62", so for one wheel in degrees +0.18dg, total +0.36dg (or half of that, if 2mm was total toe).
GoodYear Asymetrical 5 are good road tires with grip on PS4 level (with maybe a bit less wet grip).
Imho your setup should have enough grip and if toe is like that, it shouldn't be tail happy, certainly not so if not driven on public roads like on track or doing something to intentionally throw off grip. Need more info, to decide what else might be off. BTW, does toe have positive + sign before value in printout (usual way to tell it's toe-in, with negative usually meaning toe-out)?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 10:51 Thread Starter
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
BRZ: i highly doubt you have 2 degree toe-in, car would have been nearly undriveable if so with insane toe wear. If camber is ok to change in degrees, toe is adjusted with less then tenhs of degree, and difference already often can be easily felt. For example my rear toe-in is ~ +0.12dg each wheel, 0.25 total.
I'm rather thinking that measurement unit in your case is in "mm" (alignment racks usually can be changed from degree fractions or minutes to inches or mm. Unit imho should be there in printout). You can use online toe calculators like these inches-to-degrees or degrees-to-inches. 2mm(if for each wheel), 0.15748" total toe for 215/45/R17 outer diameter is ~ 24.62", so for one wheel in degrees +0.18dg, total +0.36dg (or half of that, if 2mm was total toe).
GoodYear Asymetrical 5 are good road tires with grip on PS4 level (with maybe a bit less wet grip).
Imho your setup should have enough grip and if toe is like that, it shouldn't be tail happy, certainly not so if not driven on public roads like on track or doing something to intentionally throw off grip. Need more info, to decide what else might be off. BTW, does toe have positive + sign before value in printout (usual way to tell it's toe-in, with negative usually meaning toe-out)?
Here you go chief. Its 0.04 degrees, 0.02 on each wheel. Print out attached. Screenshot_20200701-104842_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
church likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 11:19
Expert

Always nice if people keep alignment printouts for reference or to ease suggest/debug if alignment caused issues.

To me this looks like OE alignment, except maybe rear toe-in +0.2' (minute, 1/60th of degree) per wheel seems very close to zero toe. Should be driveable fine (it's toe-out, that usually makes car feel abnormally willing to rotate), especially because it's even per wheels, but if more rear and under throttle stability desired vs what you have now, you may ask during next alignment for a bit more rear toe-in. Eg. +0.1 to +0.15 degree per wheel (or 6-9 minutes, or 0.04"to0.06"/1to1.5mm with stock size wheels). Or it's not alignment that made your car extra tail-happy, but something else.
BRZ likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st July 2020, 18:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ View Post
I was trying to do a 0-100 so from stationary, so not rolling but happened across the gears. I will try again with TC off. The alignment was done when i got the tyres about 6 mths ago, so i will not expect that to be an issue.
You just need a better right foot. Once they spin up, you need to get it under control or it'll just keep spinning - I guess years of Primacy meant I got used to this. I doubt a 225 section would help that much TBH. You need lower revs for a launch when boosted on a PD blower as you make decent torque lower down. I'm even trying to setup throttle based launch over the "standard" ignition/fuel based one to give better traction off the line.
Lauren and BRZ like this.

.: Stealth 86 :.
Abbey Motorsport/K47 Tuned Sprintex 210 Supercharger

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page