27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 21st February 2019, 14:49 Thread Starter

Garage
Ohlins coilovers purchase

Looking forward to getting these bad boys fitted
https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads...Subaru_BRZ.pdf

Perkins likes this.

Last edited by Hatchi; 22nd February 2019 at 14:38.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 10:22
Ade
Guru

Garage
Nice!

Ive had my Ohlins SUS MI20 kit for 3.5 years now. Still my favorite mod to the car.

That picture isnt of a kit that fits our cars, but presumably you have order the MP20 kit with 40N front and 30N rear springs?
mark-in-stoke likes this.

Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 11:15
Groupie

Look forward to your feedback on these as I would love to get something like this when mine is worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 14:21 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
Nice!

Ive had my Ohlins SUS MI20 kit for 3.5 years now. Still my favorite mod to the car.

That picture isnt of a kit that fits our cars, but presumably you have order the MP20 kit with 40N front and 30N rear springs?

Generic pic off website. Pic now updated. The new model is designated SUS MP21 and still with 40N/30N spring rates. No top mounts included.

Last edited by Hatchi; 22nd February 2019 at 14:24.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 14:22 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2429 View Post
Look forward to your feedback on these as I would love to get something like this when mine is worn.

Will be posting some fitment pics and will post up feedback once Ive had them a little while AND also tried them on the track
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 14:25
Expert

IIRC MP21 is about the same as MP20, except TUV certified. And just like MP20, imho too street oriented, unlike original, unfortunately discontinued, MI20 kit, with higher spring rates. MP20/MP21 not bad kit, but spring rates imho too soft if it will get used on track aswell and with grippy tires. Much more "road", way less "track", unless one's thing is to track on primacies.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 14:33 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
IIRC MP21 is about the same as MP20, except TUV certified. And just like MP20, imho too street oriented, unlike original, unfortunately discontinued, MI20 kit, with higher spring rates.

Ohlins still offer a higher spring rate set for these dampers. STILL waiting to find out from supplier whether it will be an option on my order? If chosen I would still have the option of fitting pillow ball top mounts for the full track set up

Although not a daily I still need it to be 'relatively' compliant and comfy on our rural Welsh mountain back roads and this is where I am confident many other coilover products would fall well short

Ill let you know soon enough

Last edited by Hatchi; 22nd February 2019 at 16:58.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 15:03
Ade
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by church View Post
IIRC MP21 is about the same as MP20, except TUV certified. And just like MP20, imho too street oriented, unlike original, unfortunately discontinued, MI20 kit, with higher spring rates. MP20/MP21 not bad kit, but spring rates imho too soft if it will get used on track aswell and with grippy tires. Much more "road", way less "track", unless one's thing is to track on primacies.
MP20 was TUV approved.

MP21 is the new (but same) kit with option to have the high spring rates.

I disagree that the 40N/30N is too soft for track. THe stock setup is fun and fine on track. If you only do one or two trackdays a year and spent most of the time on the road in the UK then the 40/30 setup is the best choice IMO unless you want to massivly compromise the road experience for better track.

Not everything has to be take to the extreme!
Hatchi likes this.

Ade's Road and Track Car Thread
Cosworth - AP Racing - Ohlins - Hayward & Scott
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 18:10
Expert

40N/30N is not that far from 27/34 zenki brz or 23/37 zenki gt86. Hence most probably with similar grip tires it will in similar way often ride on bumpstops. Can car be driven/tracked on these (or on stock)? Certainly. Heck, i tracked car on stock shocks for 2-3 years. Even on bottomed suspension one can drive & turn. But is hitting bumpstops often optimum way suspension should be designed and work as, fine control wise? What's with hitting some potholes or kerb mid-turn on already bottomed shocks? Not something i'd expect if paying premium. Imho "old" MI20 was still usable enough on road, yet more capable on track, where people more often then not move up to grippier tires from stock primacies. So MP20/MP21 stiffer in front, softer in rear vs stock. Sounds like more understeer biased. Also stated for 15-20mm lowering vs stock. Imho when reducing travel also make sense to up spring rates too, exactly to to not hit bumpstops, no?
Though possible that i'd bash new kit way less, if they still left old kit available alongside new one instead of discontinuing, and leaving just one, imho less desirable configuration/compromise. Or if my usage target had been more oriented to DD only. Pitty, that by time i got some budget for coilovers and even while considering in past MI20 too, it already disappeared from inventories of all shops.
It's nice to hear that MP20 valving allows slightly stiffer springs too, but i doubt it will go as high as 60/60 of MI20, or if one will install such springs, if valving will be well matched to such spring rates. And certainly getting another spring set will rise cost of package. Sounds to me lot of small non-optimal things to get and live with when already paying premium.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2019, 19:53
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
MP20 was TUV approved.

MP21 is the new (but same) kit with option to have the high spring rates.

I disagree that the 40N/30N is too soft for track. THe stock setup is fun and fine on track. If you only do one or two trackdays a year and spent most of the time on the road in the UK then the 40/30 setup is the best choice IMO unless you want to massivly compromise the road experience for better track.

Not everything has to be take to the extreme!
How does the Ohlins compare to stock setup on track and Uk roads? I have a 2017 and not sure what change to spring rate or ARB's have taken place over the years , so would the ohlins kit be closer to std or further away compared to the stock set up for 2017 car?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page