GT86 Owners Club Forum banner

Tuning Developments Brake cooling ducts

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  randyzimmer 
#1 ·
Hi

Has anyone tried these?

Can't seem to see any topics about them?

Tuning Developments

I have the Porsche Ducts but don't like the cable ties method to secure them.

Any thoughts on whether these are worth a go?

#6 ·
Just as much drag as almost flat porsche or TD flaps of similar frontal area imho. In my mind, while probably better for redirecting air for cooling, tube alike inlet may have more issues picking up dirt/snow though. That electric forced cooling seemed interesting to me though, especially if thermal sensor actuated, thus no extra load during normal driving. Extra cost & extra unsprung weight though.

#8 ·
I have the Porsche Ducts but don't like the cable ties method to secure them.
Why? Cable ties are used in motorsport. :wink: You're essentially going to trade like for like at cost to yourself with no benefit (IMO). I've not heard of one person losing tied on ones if done correctly, normally UV is the killer of cable ties. I would only replace mine with the ones [MENTION=2649]church[/MENTION] mentioned.

#9 ·
A little info in the ducts.

Hi, I just wanted to explain the ducts a little. The traditional ducts from the foglights just won't work with the twins. With the stock tires at full lock, there's only an inch to work with.
I made the fans to fit in the center by the wheel bearing because of the space limitations in the wheel well. They are awfully light and have tolerated years of road shock well. Yes, they are expensive but very effective by blowing air onto the caliper regardless of road speed.
The A-Arm ducts are the newest and very affordable. The inlet looks large but since they attach to the upper part of the arm, half the inlet is covered by the thickness of the arm. Two nylon bolts attach them to each arm using existing holes and they can be taken on and off without even lifting the car in a minute, just turn the wheel to lock and reach in. Again, the air is directed toward the caliper to help keep the fluid cooler. It took longer than I thought to design them to miss everything! If anyone has further questions, feel free to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.