Which 16 Inch Tyres - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 11:12 Thread Starter
Expert

I'm looking for ideas on a cost-conscious successor for my current Nokian Line 205/55/R16. I might switch to the somewhat more expensive Primacy HP or Primacy 3 but I already have Primacy 3 on my 17 inch. They're alright. Nokians are the more progressive of the two, though the light wheels and the extra sidewall could be a factor too. I'm happy with them but want to try something else.The 17 inch Primacies lose their grip on dry in a more sudden manner - all relative.
Things I value: progressiveness and feedback, weight, low wear, low cost. Things I don't value: grip. I might go for a bit stiffer sidewall (which means added weight) which would result in more direct steering than the Nokian. . There is no matching Nokian ZLine on 16 inch.

In the rain Nokian is good. They provide enough vibration at the edge of grip so you know what is happening(maybe they are just bloody noisy tires . With Primacy HP that used to be a problem - on 17, Primacy 3 is in between. On some surfaces you have to pay close attention to get your information.
Interested to get your input.

Edited by: Moves With Clouds

Moves With Rowds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 11:28
Expert

It's hard to advise something, when so far i usually tried to choose opposite, that is - grippier tires for track performance and thus probably would have chosen something like pilot sport 4 or AD08, both of which are available 16", but they probably will be grippier then you want and of worse wear. Anyway, how about trying what is primacies stock alternative for 16" of lower trims - Yokohama decibel E70 205/55R16 91V? As for myself, i looked up only winter tires of R16 size, driving on 17" during summer season.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 12:00 Thread Starter
Expert

I've scheduled another trackday in august and I've found Primacy 3's could handle my sedate (*)driving style on track without melting which is all I demand. It makes you drive sideways though and at some point I will want to try a sports tyre.
These Yokohama's are a good tip. I'm going to check them.

(*)that's how it feels to me in any case. But I'm not bored.

Moves With Rowds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 12:25
Expert

Mind you i have no firsthand experience with them, no trim sold at LV had 16" wheels. IIRC 16" for lower trims were JDM/AUDM thing. So it's only my guess/speculation that if those tires were chosen as oem stock tire with similar reasoning as Primacies, then one may to some extent expect similar performance (big threadwear & low rolling resistance). Nothing about progressiveness/grip (as same grip might have been gained by narrower tire width)/sidewall stiffness/cost and such. I can only wish for them to not be THAT expensive as Primacies are.

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 22:26 Thread Starter
Expert

The Yokohama E70's are not available right now in Belgium it appears. Price online I found more expensive than Primacy 3.

Moves With Rowds
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 15th June 2018, 11:36 Thread Starter
Expert

I ordered Primacy 4.

Moves With Rowds
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 15th June 2018, 15:51
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Good news. They are a replacement for the Primacy HP, so should be similar but a bit better.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 15th June 2018, 16:22 Thread Starter
Expert

The compound will be more grippy and more progressive in the wet than the HP, and on 16 inch I've got more sidewall so I expect a bit more progressive behaviour from that as well and hopefully there is sufficient feedback on some wet surfaces. I like the entry level Nokian Lines because there is always some feedback, enough to tell you what is going on. But it was time to try something else.

Moves With Rowds
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 16th June 2018, 10:44
Expert

Do report how they drive/feel compared to other tires ..
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 13:43 Thread Starter
Expert

I've got them but not mounted yet. Scheduling issues. The other set is nearly gone as well and I have a trackday in august. So I can save the other for that trackday and use these in the meantime, or use them up and get new ones for the trackday.

Primacy 4 has treadwear rating of 340.
Looks like they weigh a lot. That wasn't planned. A bit of a waste on TE37s.
Soft sidewalls.

Moves With Rowds

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page