To Wheel space or not??? - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 25th January 2017, 22:36 Thread Starter

Hi guys had my 86 for a few months and have been considering wheel spacers to make the arches more filled out. I have fitted spacers before to 4 wheel drives for tyre clearance and didn't feel confident with them. I drive the 86 much harder and faster than my 4 wheel drive. Does anyone have experience with an 86 with spacers? Did it inspire confidence, or were you always in the back of your mind unsure about the safety aspect.I do not want to change the driving experience that we all enjoy.I realise that bigger/ wider wheels are the best route but I actually quite like the standard wheels, and 1000 for a new set is out of my reach for a while.Any feedback positive or negative appreciated. Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 25th January 2017, 23:13
Groupie

I think at the moment with the weather conditions being as they are and just above freezing the tyres are the limiting factor.

GT86 Starlight Blue MT
Seat Leon Cupra TDI 150
MNR Vortx
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 00:11
Expert

How adding spacers may increase confidence? Most probably it will make steering heavier due changes in scrub radius, but is that confidence inspiring/changing? :/
+1 to better tires as something that can inspire confidence most.
Unless you need it for some BBK caliper clearance, wheel spacers are used for looks only.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 08:22
Expert

I run spacers on my 86. 15mm up front 20mm rear on the stock wheels. Absolutely no adverse effects from doing this. The car feels and behaves exactly as it did standard. The steering was marginally heavier but for me that's a positive. Stick to a reputable make such as Eibach or H&R (which I believe are TUV approved), torque them up correctly and I highly doubt you will ever have a problem.

And yes I drive my car how it was designed to be driven
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 09:27
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGT
I run spacers on my 86. 15mm up front 20mm rear on the stock wheels. Absolutely no adverse effects from doing this. The car feels and behaves exactly as it did standard. The steering was marginally heavier but for me that's a positive. Stick to a reputable make such as Eibach or H&R (which I believe are TUV approved), torque them up correctly and I highly doubt you will ever have a problem.

And yes I drive my car how it was designed to be driven

+1 for what Matt has said.

I've got the same sized spacers and not once had anything negative to say about them.

You'll be surprised just how much of a difference it makes to the stance of the car in person!

62 Toyota GT86, Red, Stripes, Alcantara, SatNav, HKS Air Filter, Beat Sonic Aerial, Buddyclub Rear Lights, Armrest
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 10:46 Thread Starter

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick and useful replies. My point was to possibly run on stock wheels but to make it look better. I am confident in the way the car drives stock but issues with spacers in the past may have effected my confidence in the spacer itself, consequently changing the driver experience. If I decide to fit the spacers I will get the best quality I can, and after your positive comments drive with confidence!!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 12:01
Expert

Do spacers not increase the loads and wear on wheel bearings and struts (OK, maybe immaterially)? I suspect they must also have the opposite effect of fitting mud flaps! Just some other things that would concern me.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 12:51
GT86 Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H
Do spacers not increase the loads and wear on wheel bearings and struts (OK, maybe immaterially)? I suspect they must also have the opposite effect of fitting mud flaps! Just some other things that would concern me.

Fitting a spacer has the exact same effect on wheel bearings as just fitting lower offset wheels. There are a few things to consider, but essentially you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in life of them - the differences in loads are pretty small. Also who's to say standard offset is best on load for the bearings, lower offsets may be the centre of effort/load more in line with the bearings, reducing the length of lever - it varies by car.

But yes, for sure low offset wheels / spacers do not help with keeping the sides of the car clean!

With regards the safety of spacers, there are a few things to consider IMO.

First off make sure you get some which are a known brand, from a company that knows their stuff, so can advise you. If you get it from a bedroom trader on Ebay they may well sell the cheapest untested rubbish they can get their hands on - which actually can be a cause for concern where costs are cut on materials for example.

Next make sure when fitting them you have enough threads left when doing up the nuts. The most spacing usually on standard studs it around 5mm - you need at least 10 full turns when doing them up.

With any spacers you fit try and make sure they are hub-centric. With slip on spacers it's sometimes hard to find a spacer which matches the hub size of the vehicle - but this is preferable if you can find it to save them slopping about when fitting the wheels. Once done up of course they wont move. Bolt on spacers will tend to be more common in hub-centric form, and will also have an external spigot to seat the wheel - but it's always worth checking when ordering that this is the same as the vehicle - if you have OEM wheels they won't fit if that external spigot is larger!

When fitting bolt on spacers also make sure they sit flat on your hub - if they are 15mm or less sometimes the hub of the car can hold the spacer off the hub, as it bottoms out on the back of the spacer, and this will possibly or even probably lead to a failure in an exciting way. They should come with instructions outlining this - but it's something to think about for sure. Usually 20mm and larger this isn't as much of a problem, but does vary by car... a Nissan Juke for example has a hub height of around 30mm, so there's not way a spacer of less than that can sit flat on the disc - so a spacer would be needed with no spigot as the wheel can still locate on the car hub with a large spacer.

I hope that is some help - it's quite involved all things considered, but does change the look and stance of a car with a minimum of effort and no doom when done right

Edited by: Rarerims
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 27th January 2017, 14:51
Expert

Garage
I run 10mm front and 20mm rear Eibachs with standard wheels. No problems at all and stance is much improved.

Black GT86 owned 7+ years and modified with Cosworth exhaust, brakes, supercharger and map. Also, Eibach Pro springs, OZ alloys, fast road geo, various cosmetics inc TRD spoiler, shark fin, Intec brake light, Valentis.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 27th January 2017, 17:20

Eibachs, 15mm front, 20mm rear.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page