Kesler's Pearl White 86 - Page 127 - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 22:22 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I accidentally bought an exhaust.

It's the MXP Comp RS Ti catback system, looks tatty when I brought it back but on initial inspection it's just very minor dirt and surface bits that I can clean up with Autosol.

Here are some photos after the first pass with Autosol:

Enut likes this.

Kesler
GT86 & BRZ Owners Club Moderator

Instagram: @keyfobandgob
Facebook: @keyfobandgob
www.keyfobandgob.com

Last edited by Kesler; 20th May 2020 at 23:24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 22:28 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Having bought an exhaust without realising, it meant I needed to sell my current custom exhaust (which you may have seen in the for sale area). This also means I'm attempting to change the exhaust outside, daunting but great to learn.

After 2 wooden blocks, 2 chocks, a jack, 2 axle stands, 1 neighbour's tool bag, a 2nd neighbour's axle stands and jack and tools, much swearing, I got my custom exhaust off the car. It was a pig to do as I didn't have everything I needed (like a massive garage with a pro setup) and my Rocket Bunny diffuser extends all the way back to the exhaust which reduced a lot of access. But hey ho, it's off. Photos show I still had the centre pipe to remove but that was the easy part.

Once the catback was off, the fun part began.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
post #1263 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 22:36 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Of course that went by too easily, didn't it? There was a very noticeable audible exhaust leak under the seat, so this could only mean that I haven't had this hooked up right. STS Tyre Pros in Hemel very kindly let me use one of their bays just to check this out and have it fixed up:

Just a bit more hi-temp gasket sealant/maker and reposition the gasket plate, tighten up everything and the leak was gone

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 22:44 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

A good friend of mine lent me his carbon vinyl wrap, so paired with a squeegee and Aldi's heat gun on offer, I'm now a certified amateur wrapper. One gripe I've had with my 86 since purchase was the grubby door grab handles, just marred scuffed and whatnot. So with the vinyl masking all this, I should be ever so slightly more happier.

I pondered how I would approach wrapping it, watching YouTube videos, etc. Whilst eating the chicken katsu curry I made.

I was pretty happy with my first ever go so I decided to wrap my customised heated seat switch trim:
Enut likes this.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
post #1265 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 22:55 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

A nice little promo/photoshoot with @CharlieB.Photography

Enut, nufcr1 and Array like this.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
post #1266 of 1268 (permalink) Old 20th May 2020, 23:20 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My recap/thoughts so far:

Tyres:
As there hasn't been enough mileage to be conclusive enough as feedback/a review, I can only explain what I've experienced so far. As we all know, the protective coating needs to be worn off before you experience the actual capabilities of the tyres. As such, someone decided to drive over into my lane round a large roundabout junction, causing me to hit the brakes and seeing the traction control light flicker.

I'm about 100 miles into the tyres over quite some time and I can say that this would be a big step up in comparison to the Sessanta, the sidewall profile, construction and build are very different, Sessanta would be firm but the 651S are rock solid. Volume wise, it's rated pretty well at 69dB but the most notable experience I've had is with a particular roundabout near me

In the previous Sessanta tyres they provide great feedback through the steering to me, I can feel when it's nearing its limit of traction and when it breaks traction. If I push it hard, I can feel the slip and have a very controlled slide. With the 651S they grip and grip and grip. It's until I upset the power delivery with the clutch I can feel the back end loosening for some play. It gives such great feedback.

Exhaust:
Removing my custom exhaust was a sad moment as I particularly enjoyed the Helmholtz resonators. As a whole, the exhaust had a great sound and you can definitely tell that the resonators were doing their job with muting the tone. Once you reach a specific rev/pitch and hit the cruise control, you can mute the exhaust and have a phone conversation. Great for those motorway drives.

The MXP Comp RS Ti doesn't have this, it's just a centre silencer and 2 cans and immediately I can hear it's very much a free flowing exhaust. It sounds angry! I think I'm warming to the titanium exhaust tips on my car, I never really gave them much thought when picking exhaust systems as a polished setup just looks great. However I appreciate the look of them with the amount of poke I've given them on the system through the Rocket Bunny diffuser.

The volume of the exhaust was definitely louder than my previous system and I felt I needed to get some mileage through them and learn about it more, modulating the throttle to find quiet areas and the like. Wide open throttle does sound rather tasty! But now learning more about how I use the exhaust, I feel I can drive it quieter than before.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
post #1267 of 1268 (permalink) Old 21st May 2020, 17:13 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It was about time to address the lack of pressure washer usage at home and I was shopping for one, I recall I had a super old one at the old house! After I collected it I went to buy some new bits and bobs to really get my equipment up to date when it comes to cleaning the car.

I've just using my standad water hose from the garden which was fine as the flow rate was more than impressive however it meant I couldn't use any of my snowfoam and other products I was chronically hoarding due to sponsorship/promos. Once I collected the pressure washer I got all my equipment ready to do a proper maintenance wash and realised one cruicial bit of information: My Karcher pressure washer was that old that the quick release connection was the old version with the horseshoe pin... *sigh*

At this point I had 3 options:
1) Just buy a new Karcher
2) Buy a new hose
3) Find an adapter

First option is needlessly expensive, second option would've been fine but it was near impossible trying to find the correct hose for this prehistoric model. The third option almost seemed non-existent until I stumbled on a third party Karcher website which had details of such an adapter. In typical Karcher style, they make their model numbers incredibly hard to find but alas, I found it, searched around and saw Amazon had the best price.

A few days later it arrived and I could FINALLY do get said maintenance wash done the best way. The items received to make my life easier:
- Karcher old to new Quick Connect adaptor: 2.644-031.0
- CYR QR swivel trigger

The new trigger is a must for regular pressure washer users as it transfers the weight of the lance from in front of your wrist to under your hand, making it much easier to use and ergonomic in your hand. With the 3 QR nozzles I find the 40 one is perfect with the way I use the trigger. The swivel is super super handy, ensures that my snow foam bottle is always upright and the hose below the trigger never kinks.

Last two photos shot for promo by @andrew_flintuk.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com
post #1268 of 1268 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2020, 15:43 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It sounds extremely sad (and to a point it probably is) but I'm genuinely happy to finally have a pressure washer to use at this house. Connecting up the new toys to help give the car a better wash routine.

Photos: @andrew_flintuk

Enut likes this.

Kesler

www.keyfobandgob.com

Last edited by Kesler; 24th May 2020 at 13:49.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page