Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
- Litchfield Springs
- SuperPro Front Camber Bolts
- Abbey Motorsport Geo Setup
- Beatrush Master Cylinder Brace - Sold
- Porsche GT3 Brake Ducts
- Rota Torque 17 x 7.5 with Nankang NS-2R Tyres (225) [Track/Summer] - Sold

Performance
- Sprintex Supercharger with 70mm Raceseng Pulley tuned by Abbey Motorsport & K47
- Berk HFC
- Cobra Overpipe
- eBay Q300 Replica 2.37" OD/2.25" ID Exhaust
- Airaid Intake
- Decatted OEM Manifold
- Cosworth Low Temp Thermostat
- Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can x2

- 240 bhp & 195lb.ft at the hubs (Pre Exhaust & Intake) -

** Latest Favourite Picture **

---------- BLOG ----------

1st off was a nice simple change. I disliked that the rear lights were LEDs but that the indicators weren't. I found it somewhat inconsistent. Also as an added bonus, the LED bulbs will remove the orange reflections you get in the indicator housings. I tried a couple of configurations, but I'll just post the one that I found worked well. Read my full LED indicator thread for more info.

For front and rear > 7440 CREE & 12 SMD

For sidelights > 501 5 SMD bulb

LED flasher relay

The relay is a 10 min job to replace and the bulbs are easy enough to swap. The rears need to be done in a certain way as the bulbs are too large to be able to fit in the holder and then move into place due to the short cables, but it's possible to do. The end result is actually brighter than the stock bulbs and was exactly what I was looking for.

Here's a good pic to show what the grey looks like from the front with all 3 light housings the same colour/tint, a marked improvement on the orange indicators

Next up was to do something to the induction side of things ready for my trip to Litchfield for a remap. After lots of reading and searching I decided that a “full� induction kit was a great way to waste money so decided on a halfway house, a new filter and silicone replacement intake pipe. I also wanted to keep the noise generator as I wondered that if I went this route but deleted it, would I end up with no intake noise at all? My search ended with buying in from the USA a K&N replacement filter and AVO's intake pipe. It took 10 mins with a sharp knife and sand paper to remove the tiny imperfections within the tube and 30 mins to fit everything. Full thread here

Result: throttle response slightly improved and a slightly better induction noise in the car.

Step 3. Trip to Litchfield. Rocked up with c.1500 miles on the clock. This was the requirement
- Oil & Filter Change
- Install Powerflex Positive Shifter Bushing
- Install Litchfield Eibach springs and have their fast road setup
- Have the ECUtek remap + purchase cable

The car now feels great. The power delivery feels much better on the performance map, the torque dip is much less noticeable and it actually sounds more aggressive too. The economy map also returns better MPG too for those that worry about these things. That was proven on a very snowy return cross-country journey from Tewkesbury
The springs have made a subtle yet noticeable change with the 30mm-ish drop and the ride is actually just as comfortable as stock. The fast road set-up also feels nice to drive, the front end feels more pointed as a result. Not had a chance to feel it with the back end out

My purchase, useful for logging and map updates etc.

Here's how the car looks as a result
Edited by: Kodename47

See less See more
#2 ·
Really enjoying these blogs, its great to see whateveryoneis upto, and different ideas you all are having!

I think my nextpurchase is going to be theLichfield springs, its good to see its verysubtle, i was a bit worried it would look to low.

Keep up the good work. What wheels have to decided to go for?

#3 ·
Thinking of white Rota Torques - 17x7.5 with, more than likely, Yoko AD08s in either 215 or 225 guise. I loved them before and think they'd be great on track. Also been looking at what to replace the Primacy's with when they do eventually run out but undecided..... something new might be out by then anyway

#5 ·
While looking over at the GBE website after they signed up on here I spotted the Innovate MTX combined oil temperature and pressure gauge. 

The gauge is progammable via a serial cable and shows pressure on the numerical display and temperature on the LEDs around the edge.  After speaking to GBE and after looking on FT86 forum I think that the pressure sensor/switch can be tee'd off the original location under the filter using a small extension hose rather than mounted straight in the original thread. Also there is a good place to take temperature reading in the top of the block that can be used, but would need an adapter to fit the innovate gauge. They will do the gauge and everything needed for about £190, so I have a feeling that I will do that.

Also, thinking about where to mount it, CTP can do a replacement drivers vent for £18+VAT which I'm then tempted to create a custom mount without destroying my original vent, a bit similar to that OBD one available. I like the dash vent gauge as it looks so clean and is easily reversible too.

#6 ·
Here's a little glimpse of my weekend's tinkering. Yet to be completed but a hint of what I've started to do:

I got to drive the car without the snorkel and the main resonator removed. The induction noise and throttle response were awesome. It was sounded like a open cone filter intake..... and probably heat soaked as much too
I'm also going to remove the resonator in the AVO pipe section and replace the snorkel with the resonator holes filled. Shouldn't affect performance really but may sound better (hopefully).

#7 ·
I measured the stock snorkel intake and it's 60mm at the opening give or
take, which is plenty. IMO you want as little to disrupt the airflow as possible
so I have blanked off the resonator holes inside the snorkel and capped them at
the bottom to reduce any possible heat soak.

I have also capped off the
50mm hole outside the airbox and cut a 46mm cardboard blanking plug for the inside of
the airbox and used tape to airtight the hole like so:

This means that there is noting to disrupt any airflow from entering the snorkel
all the way past the filter. I have also removed the lower resonator attached to the intake pipe and blocked the hole using a silicone bung. Here's the final install:

And the snorlel re-fitted..... what a PITA

I intend to do some testing on this and compare to my previous results. These tests for MAF/IATs can be found here including running without the snorkel fitted.

#8 ·
Well yesterday was the dyno day at Abbey Motorsport. Stock cars ran 157-166bhp (@ the hub figures) so after all the bits done to the car it would be good to see where I was at. Some of the Abbey boys were winding me up after playing with the stock intake telling me it's probably made it worse so I was a bit anxious when the car went in.

These are at the hub figures:

The lower runs ending in 166.5 bhp (141.2 lb.ft) is my map 1 (eco) which seems to be a standard map under full throttle and is actually quite rich. I guess the partial throttle mapping has been changed to enable better fuel economy. It actually is quite handy as it shows how well the car would run stock with my mods and compares to the full Litchfield map (map 2). Peak power (178.3bhp) is now made a touch further up the power band. Seeing as I'm always saying how exact figures aren't what matters, I should take my own advice
So to put it better I've actually gained roughly 7.1% peak hp and 5.1% peak torque.

It was only a hairs width away from matching a full LPP'd car for bhp, but down on torque in the midrange. I guess the intake helps out up top but a change to the exhaust would unlock some more grunt down low. Overall I'm happy, especially after all my recent tinkering.

Logs were also done on ECUtek whilst on the dyno and I'll be sending the whole lot over to Litchfield for a review.Edited by: Kodename47

#9 ·
Well I thought the car needed an update, so thanks to Mark @ Abbey Motorsport I now have these:

Wheels are 17" x 7.5". Thought I'd give the Nankangs a go seeing as I got the whole lot at a good price, they look and feel pretty good. Wanted to wait out for the AD08R's but they're not coming in stock until later this year
As track tyres though I reckon these should still be fairly good.

A few more parts on the horizon too.... I've stopped in the search of more power for the moment, now onto stopping better

#12 ·
Nice work, but I'm honestly not sure about Nankangs, it's not what I would fit. I have no idea if they have improved (let's hope so!), but years ago they fairly coined the term TDF's (Taiwanese Ditch Finders)!

I'm sure they were cheap, but not something I'd honestly try. If I wanted a high performance road tyre I'd likely go for Contisport contacts or similar. Yoko Advans are good, or on slightly more of a budget, I quite liked S-Drives. They have a nice stiff sidewall.

#13 ·
Good thing they're not road tyres then
The AD08s are now discontinued but the R's have yet to hit our shores. Seeing as this was my aim point, Ben at Rare rims said these didn't look bad and despite these being the harder compound of the 2 NS-2R's available they still feel nice and soft-ish and have a good tread pattern, should be grippy and not too soft to fade too quickly. As track-day tyres, I think they should be pretty good. It wasn't an expensive buy so if they aren't great its not a big loss. Its worth a shot and someone has to try them.

We've had proved that cheap good track day tyres are possible, R/S2's (which I've had before) and 595's are popular and aren't far off the harder 888's.....
I just wish the R/S3's were available on these shores.

#15 ·
Hi Kodename,

I had very similar if not the same tyres on my CRX. They where very good tyres all round, but wore down very quickly. They where grippy, with a relatively predictable behaviour on the edge of grip. They seemed to get better the harder you pushed, think they liked the heat from a proper good thrashing - made them very sticky.

Think these would be perfect for track tyres due to their price, however as road tyres, could end up as quite expensive due to their fast wearing nature.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Where do you go for track days?

Michael

#17 ·
Michael which tyres did you have on the Rex? Were they the R/S2s? Always popular in Honda circles. Or, as the R's are new, did you have the standard NS-2's? If do that's a great review and I really hope that they will be as you describe.

I'm only starting to get into track days. I always meant to track the TypeR but never got round to it, so I'm jumping in early with the 86
My 1st is Mallory Park in July, have a look in the track day/motorsports section. There's a few of us going if you fancy it. Could do Brands one day as its pretty close for us both?

#18 ·
I had Nankangs on my 306 years ago, they were pretty sticky but 1 blew out proper style on the motorway and took the back arch with it (shouldn't but can happen with any tyre I know).

I though they were pretty good for the money at the time though I wouldn't fit them to the BRZ. Would probably be happy putting them on the rest of the fleet though.

#19 ·
Ahhh yes they where the NS-2s, so hopefully the Rs will be even better!

Will have to check on funds for Mallory, have just brought a new car, new bed and booked a week away with the Mrs! If not I wil be up for something in either August or September - so Brands could be a good plan.

Really want to hit a track to find what areas I think the car needs improvement before buying aftermarket parts - as handling and driving characteristics can be very personal.

#24 ·
Celica66 said:
Steve

you will never keep those clean...... he he 

are the springs just lowering springs or new shocks as well?
Good thing that they won't see our dirty roads then
Plus I had white wheels on my last car so I know they can be a pain.

Just lowering springs mate, they're the ones I've had on there since January.

Arekkz, no way would I wrap anything white.... I just have a soft spot for white wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.