Bringing an 86 back from the dead - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK
 167Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 16:25 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
So despite being a member on quite a few owner's forums for various cars I've never actually made a project thread, usually due to a lack of in-progress pictures or simply being too lazy but I guess I may as well make my first one a big one!

So a couple of week's ago I picked up my GT86, I wasn't planning on getting one so soon but I've been keeping my eyes out for a cheap written off one with just the right amount of damage and that's exactly what I got when this popped up!
Warning graphic images!

And it was in the exact colour I wanted! So less than 48 hours after it was listed I had placed a deposit and arranged to travel up to Lincoln to pick it up the following Saturday.
The car is a 63 plate and is registered as a Cat N (previously called Cat D) write off meaning that there is no structural damage to the chassis but it was beyond economical repair for the insurance company.

So the next Saturday rolled around and I was a little bit worried about what I was getting myself in to but I decided to just feign ignorance and rely on the Insurance insepctors classifying it correctly.

And when I finally got it back home and in the garage thats how it stayed for a couple of weeks as I didn't have the time to crack on with it.

Project 4k86: Rocket bunny V2 kitted GT86 Equipped with Air Ride Suspension, Work wheels, Big brakes and one day an LS3!
Check out my project thread for the revival of my GT86 which had been written off by the previous owner, a.k.a Project 4kGT86:

https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/for...back-dead.html

Use my Discount code for Whiteline, just use code "WL2033" on the Whiteline store to Save £20 your first order when spending £150 or more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 16:25 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
And so finally today I was finally able to get my hands on it and see what was what!

My
plan is to take it a little bit slow, not only to lessen the blow to my
wallet but also to simply get things done right the first time rather
than have to re-visit areas further down the line.
So I had already
costed a few bits up before making the purchase, I know that the most
expensive parts will be a set of headlights even if they are aftermarket
and the Airbag set. Most of the parts im probably going to get from a
Toyota dealer or online if they're cheap enough and legit.

So without further ado heres a few pics of my first day spannering on the car!

Here's how it sits in the garage, quite tight compared to the previous occupant and as you can see its still looking a little sorry for itself.

Couple of closeup of some of some of the damage

Quite a horrible sight! but with the fenders and the remnants of the headlights out of the way it was starting to look a bit better.

Those fenders are a bit of a pain to get off though!
The core support was a little tricky to get off with the washer bottle in the way and a few mildly bent bits of radiator support in the way but eventually after a few hours it was in a much better state and I could start checking out whether there was any further damage to be worried about.

Sorry for the blurry pic!

And the pile of parts that came off...

So now that the worst has been removed there's a couple of bit's im unsure about so I'm looking for a few second opinions!

The Top "branches" of the rad support are clearly bent and I'll replace those along with the enter of it that holds the bonnet lach mechanism however I'm wondering if a couple of other areas are bent which I wasn't expecting, namely these areas:

It almost appears they've come ever so slightly away and bent downwards from the rest of the frame, thoughts on this?

As well as this the bottom of the rad support actually looks straight which I was not expecting, can anyone confirm whether this looks right?

So thats it for now, the battery's completely dead as well so that's a bummer.
I'm going to have to get a shopping list together and start placing a few orders as I hope I've removed all the bent parts so far that don't need their spot welds drilled out, those will come next!

Edited by: Samwise

Project 4k86: Rocket bunny V2 kitted GT86 Equipped with Air Ride Suspension, Work wheels, Big brakes and one day an LS3!
Check out my project thread for the revival of my GT86 which had been written off by the previous owner, a.k.a Project 4kGT86:

Use my Discount code for Whiteline, just use code "WL2033" on the Whiteline store to Save £20 your first order when spending £150 or more!
post #3 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 17:25
Super Moderator

Good luck with it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 18:54
Groupie

Garage
Quick spray of WD40 for the mechanical bits and a polish for the metal bits should see that right.

In all seriousness the best of luck with your rebuild.

White GT86 Aero
post #5 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 19:20
Expert

Garage
Put an HKS supercharger on while you've pulled the front end apart
post #6 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 19:24 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcluesent
Put an HKS supercharger on while you've pulled the front end apart
Haha I have other plans for some power but it will be a long way off yet!

Cheers all so far

Edited by: Samwise

post #7 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 20:08
BRZ
GT86 Senior

Watching this thread eagerly. A very interesting project.
post #8 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 21:03
GT86 Senior

Well done so far mate... you've got a fair bit done on your first "tinkering"

I'm gonna watch closely too and enjoy and applaud you on the transformation.
post #9 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 21:34 Thread Starter
Groupie

Garage
Cheers guys thats really cool to hear

Updates may be slow as I don't get alot of time to go round and work on the car but i'll make sure theres some good updates!

Hoping to go along to a few Sussex meets so I can get to know a few people and nose around their cars!

post #10 of 322 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2018, 23:44
Groupie

Garage
Don't forget the T-Cut

Seriously good luck ... I applaud you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page